I love how this book was written. Originally I set out to just do some learning on Bio-identical Hormones for a friend and found out that I may have issues with my own hormones.

He talks about what can happen to our bodies when our hormones are not balanced, and over the long-term, can lead to diseases.

The book is broken down into 4 major...
Published on September 3, 2005 by DV

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but Limited Application
Published on April 6, 2011 by *Hobby*

5.0 out of 5 stars If You Haven't Been Feeling Well & Don't Know Why, It May Be Whacked Out Hormones, September 3, 2005
DV (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hormone Solution: Stay Younger Longer with Natural Hormone and Nutrition Therapies (Paperback)

The book is broken down into 4 major areas:

1. Hormones

2. Body

3. Mind

4. Hormone Solution

In Chapter 2 (which is a part of #1), he gives a quiz (Part I) on each of the 15 hormones he talks about in his book and the symptoms of deficiency. The hormones would be ACTH, Aldosterone, Calcitonin, Cortisol, DHEA, EPO, Estrogen, Growth Hormone, Insulin, Melatonin, Pregnenolone, Progesterone, Testosterone, Thyroid Hormones, and Vasopressin.

In Part II of the quiz, he quizzes your Energy, Sex, Sleep, Skin/Hair, Weight Control, Stress, Mood, Circulation (Heart & STroke), Joints, Bones, and Immune System.

It takes a bit to complete the full quiz, but well worth it. With the Part II stuff, he goes into further details about each of these.

In each of those sections, he'll talk about detecting & decoding one's deficiencies, how to eat to heal, the nutrients needed, supplementation, scientific evidence/studies, and concludes with summary of each of the 15 hormones that may impact that particular issue (i.e., weight issue).

For the Hormone Solution, he breaks this down into:

1. The hormone

2. Treatment

3. Recommended dosage & frequency

4. What they may be associated to in terms of impact with other hormones.

He has a couple pages for resources and 59 pages of references. WOW!!!

This book was very informative and the first book I read on hormones. I've since read several other books, but still like this one the best.

A good compliment to this book is Natural Hormone Balance for Women by Dr. Uzzi Reiss, who is a ob-gyn in Beverly Hills. He covers some other things Dr. Hertoghe doesn't.

Something I'd like to mention is I did go get a 24-hr urine analysis that looked at a number of the hormones mentioned in this book. His quiz made it fairly easy for me to have my doctor test for certain things and they were fairly close to being correct.

My naturopath has now given me some BIHs to help me rebalance those hormones I was deficient in. Am feeling so much better and this was about 3.5 weeks ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hormone Solution: Stay Younger Longer With Natural ...., January 18, 2003
Krista Deer (San Rafael, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I found this book to be well organized and easy to read and understand. There is a wealth of information about the role of hormones in the body, and the consequences of not having enough as you age. I enjoyed the detailed explanation of the function of each hormone. At the end of each section, Dr. Hertoghe adds a one page table of a condensed version of his recommendations for easy reference. That makes the book very user friendly. The book has information that is revelant to older and middle aged people, as well as people in their twenties. I thought I could share this book with my sister, but we both like it so much as a reference that we had to buy another one. Thanks to Dr. Hertoghe for shedding light on so many hormonal changes associated with getting older. Can't live without it anymore!

5.0 out of 5 stars Doctors Also Can Learn From This Book, September 5, 2005
What I like well in this book is the numerous tables, the questionnaires and the lists that summarize the essential data in each chapter.
What I like most in this book is the emphasis on clinical signs and symptoms for the diagnosis of hormonal imbalance rather than the usual relying on lab test only.

The author is from the fourth generation in a family of physician specializing in hormones well before the term "Endocrinology" had been invented. His great-grandfather, Dr. Eugene Hertoghe has given his name to the "Sign of Hertoghe", the shorter eyebrows of people with hypothyroidy and his father, Dr. Jacques Hertoghe has introduced the now widely used 24 hours thyroid hormone test. The test much better correlates with the signs, symptoms and complaints of thyroid hormone utilization than the usual thyroid hormone blood tests.
With his seminars and publications the author is well in line with the tradition of his family.
This book is a major contribution to our understanding of hormonal processes. I recommend this book to every person (inclusive physicians) interested in learning more about the way hormones affect us in all the aspects of our existence.

4.0 out of 5 stars Learning about hormonal deficienties, May 15, 2007
M. J. Weber (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This book is clearly written. The author makes it possible for everyone to get a clue about which hormones might be missing in his/her body before visiting a health professional. Many health issues are covered with the specific hormonal deficienties. I found it very clarifying and it brought me a step forwards in my search for my lost health. I have read also the books of John R. Lee. The book of Thierry Hertoghe gives not so much information about what one can do self in comparison with the books of Lee on female issues.
in the meantime i go to his sister dr.Therese Hertoge for treatment,and i got much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have reference book - would be lost without it!, October 18, 2007
This book was required reading from an endocrinologist I was seeing and I'm so very glad that I read it cover to cover. I learned SO much about my hormone issues and was able to help figure out what was going on with my husband and his hormone issues. It made the remainder of his life bearable. I keep this book for reference and use it often. I bought and gave one to my primary care doctor and he said it has enlightened him on hormone issues with patients. We are so blessed that Dr. Thierry Hertoghe chose to share his knowledge with us to help as many people as possible to feel better and have quality of life. Best hormone book I have ever read!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but Limited Application, April 6, 2011
I found this book had some interesting ideas and recommendations but was somewhat limited in real world applicability for the average person. The basic problem is the need to work closely with a supportive and competent endocrinologist. There are few options presented that are relevant to a self help approach to improving your hormonal balance. Much of the text is lacking in clear, non contradictory, answers to the numerous health issues that can be caused by hormonal imbalance and the need for a knowledgeable doctor is very apparent. My personal experience with health practitioners is that such physicians are very few and far between. I would love to be able to pursue a quality of life approach to thoroughly checking and correcting any existing hormonal imbalances that may exist in my body but I hold little hope in being able to do so. I would need some substantial financial resources plus the opportunity to locate and work with an unusually supportive physician. This is never going to happen with the resources typically available to the average patient. I currently have Kaiser insurance and, while they might do their best at keeping me alive, quality of life is so low in their priorities that it will never become a viable goal of the treatment process. For anyone with the financial means or an extraordinarily comprehensive health plan, this book might be of value in helping you achieve a very high level of health and longevity. For the rest of us poor souls, the book is mainly about what could be done instead of what can or will be done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book written by a 4th generation endocrinologist!, August 24, 2010
If you want the very best book about bioidentical hormone replacement, then this is the book to get!! Dr. Hertoghe is one of the world's top experts in hormone replacement and he does a wonderful job of explaining how bioidentical HR improves your immune system, and gets rid of the many complaints of growing older. This book is very well written, easy to understand and he asks the right questions and gives you some really illuminating answers. Since I started bioidentical HR, I no longer feel fatigued, or stiff and achy from my osteoarthritis, my joints don't hurt anymore, my foggy thinking and memory have greatly improved, my hot flashes are gone, my skin looks more youthful, I'm sleeping well again, and I am not moody or depressed! If you are still on synthetic hormones or feel that you are aging rapidly, you really need to read this book ASAP!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent-Best Hormone book I have ever read, December 28, 2010
arrived on time in good condition
I have read about 5 hormone books and by far this is the best one.
It has graphs on how each of your main hormones ACTUALLY drops with your age.
Then it has a quick questionnaire on if you have wrinkles above your lip, low libido, low body temp etc on knowing which ones you are probably low on so you do not waste money on tests you do not need. I have seen questions for a few of the hormones but not all of them and all consolidated like in this book. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to know more about how to keep their body healthy as long as possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book to keep you healthy, January 4, 2010
Excellent book - read by our Doctors.... And our patients. We bought many copies for patients. The opening 20 pages or so are great. Then you can read the other chapters relevant to your symptoms or interests. It's well organized and relatively simple for anyone to understand... yet informative even to an MD.
Don Nicholas
REVITA Anti-Aging Center - Charlotte

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hormone Solution: Stay Younger Longer with Natural Hormone and Nutrition Therapies, August 23, 2007
Comprehensive. Includes suggestions for communication with your doctor to request appropriate labs and prescriptions for bioidentical hormones to improve health, longevity and well being. Also includes dietary modifications to support a bioidentical hormone replacement protocol. Written by the top endocrinologist in the world. Very insightful, cutting edge knowledge.

$16.99 $13.13