5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!
This book is a godsend. After reading it I learned that I'm not losing my grip on sanity...just on my hormones. Now when I go to the doctor, I'll be aware of the tests that should be ordered, how to understand their results, and what alternatives I have for treatment.
Published on February 13, 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars it's ok
Published on August 8, 2008 by S. Doran

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, February 13, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Hormone Survival Guide for Perimenopause: Balance Your Hormones Naturally (Paperback)
I love the fact that the book doesn't have to be read cover-to-cover. I can turn to the chapter about whatever concerns me most about my health. Dr. Jackson has written the medical information in an easy to understand manner, and her advice sounds like something my best friend would say.
I definitely recommend this book to every woman who has concerns about not only menopause, but hormone problems at any stage in life.

3.0 out of 5 stars it's ok, August 8, 2008
If you want to find out more about hormone panel testing, then this is a good book to read. I wasn't, and most of the book focuses on hormone testing and adjusting hormonal imbalances. It is clear that the author believes this is THE treatment. It doesn't matter that other doctors will tell you this test isn't helpful or accurate, the author states: "If you are fed this line, don't swallow it." And she may very well be correct but I tended to get annoyed at her inferences that her way is the way. I gave it 3 stars because it does give some good and thorough information about the hormones and information about some of the symptoms. And it did list labs in the appendix that will do hormone testing for consumers through saliva. But when I went through them, there was really only one that would do the testing w/o a healthcare person. Some states don't allow the consumer to do this direct testing. It's an ok book, just not what I was looking for.

5.0 out of 5 stars A highly practical, optimistic, and useful guide, June 12, 2004
Written by medical specialist in women's health, The Hormone Survival Guide For Perimenopause: Balance Your Hormones Naturally is a seven-step health and self-help guide for women who have not yet reached the change of life. Focusing upon improving hormone-related problems such as weight gane, low sex drive, adult acne, disturbed sleeping patterns, chronic fatigue, and more, The Hormone Survival Guide For Perimenopause covers everything from simple women's health tips for diet, exercise and establishing a regular circadian sleep rhythm to natural supplements, quick-starte hormone balancing and weight management plans, and much more. A highly practical, optimistic, and useful guide to taking control of one's hormonal health.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful Book, November 9, 2005
Sammi (Portland Oregon) - See all my reviews
After looking for a long time, with little luck, into woman's hormone issues a friend recommended this book. It is exactly what I was looking for. It should be required reading for all doctors. I am very grateful to the writer because she provides hope along with valuable information regarding hormones followed up with practical answers/solutions. Worth the time and the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get your hormones tested and feel better!, March 12, 2006
Andrea Polk (Pacific Northwest - USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
After being diagnosed with fibromyalgia and high cholesterol several years ago I've struggled to find a balance. When I started having hot flashes and increased fatigue, I went to Nisha Jackson's Southern Oregon clinic. It was there that I first glanced at "The Hormone Survival Guide for Perimenopause: Balance Your Hormones Naturally". The book offered what I thought was a common sense approach to women's health and positiive suggestions for how to feel good. Soon afterwards I ordered the book from Amazon and had my hormones tested.

I'm happy to report that since getting my hormones tested and getting on a treatment program to address my hormone deficiencies, I'm feeling better; more energy, and optimistic about how this adjustment may also positively effect both my cholesterol numbers and my overall outlook on life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reviewed for Midwest Book Review, March 29, 2004
Christy T. French "author" (Powell, TN, author, "The Bodyguard") - See all my reviews
Author Nisha Jackson, Ph.D., has specialized in women's health since 1991. She has dedicated her practice to hormonal wellness and is owner of Southern Oregon Health and Wellness, PC. Aside from her role as an author, Dr. Jackson is a radio and TV personality, national lecturer, spokesperson, and women's health advocate.
A nationwide survey by the National Women's Health Resource Center, released in November, 2003, revealed that close to 70 percent of women are confused about the safety of hormone therapy for menopausal-related symptoms. Almost half of them receive the majority of their information from media sources rather than their own healthcare provider. THE HOMONE SURVIVAL GUIDE is the perimenopausal woman's answer to any question or concern she may have related to this phase of her life. Dr. Jackson offers readers a 7-step program designed to balance hormones in this down-to-earth, easy-to-understand book chock-full of information related to perimenopausal issues. Hormonal fluctuation, hormone testing, hormonal treatment, diet as an effective way to create hormonal balance, stress, PMS, libido, thyroid problems, hot-flashes, and many more symptoms related to this syndrome are discussed, as well as ways to deal with them. No question goes unanswered and every symptom is addressed in this edifying book.
Any woman who is seeking a natural way to relieve perimenopausal symptoms should read this wonderfully clear, self-educating book. A book that should be in every doctor's office, as well as every home, to be read by women approaching or engaged in this phase in their life and shared with others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening, July 28, 2010
This book was great! It was an easy read! Nisha Jackson provides readers with a great overview of symptoms and options as well. I just recently experienced a doctor(s) who has dismissed my symptoms. Its very frustrating. I'm not sure why doctors don't bring themselves up-to-date with the various tests and treatments. So now I'm on the hunt for a doctor who recognizes perimenopause as an actual imbalance that requires testing and treatment. Until that point, I have started with a progesterone cream which has immediately started to relieve some of my symptoms. Nisha Jackson is very well educated in this field and I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thankfully a useful book!, October 15, 2008
It sure has been a real help to me as I go through this.
Thanks for first hand experience, it helps me know I'm not going insane!

3.0 out of 5 stars HRT is not for me., August 25, 2013
HRT has never been for me since all three of my sisters have breast cancer. This didn't give me new ideas or incentives.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Views, January 3, 2013
While I'm not a big advocate of hormone therapy, Nisha Jackson has a very intrigueing view on this type of therapy and why it would benefit women going through Perimenopause. She gives concise reasons on why our bodies react the way they do during this time in our lives. The book was very interesting and eye-opening. Alot of what she says makes sense. She also gives you tools needed to get through this time.

The Hormone Survival Guide for Perimenopause: Balance Your Hormones Naturally