5.0 out of 5 stars Take the journey
Ok, before you even bother reading my review, buy the book (I'll wait here).
I hope you bought it. If you haven't, let me tell you why you should: The Horse And His Boy is an outstanding story. And that's not all-you can read it without having read any of the other Narnia books; not that you'd want to do that. All the Narnia books are wonderful.
The Horse And...
Published on July 22, 2000 by NotATameLion

3.0 out of 5 stars A Fable From a Fantasy Land.
THE HORSE AND HIS BOY is the 5th book in "The Chronicles of Narnia." Out of the whole series, this book comes off as being the weakest because there is very little connecting it to the other books.

THE HORSE AND HIS BOY tells the story of Shasta and a horse called Bree. Shasta is a poor boy raised by a cruel fisherman. He longs to explore the world around him,...
Published on February 8, 2006 by tvtv3

‹ Previous | 119 20 2138 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, June 24, 2013
This review is from: The Horse and His Boy: The Chronicles of Narnia (Kindle Edition)
This book was amazing it was full of action and surprises and great English. I literally liked all of it. I gave this book a five star rating. And because It was so entertaining it only took me 3 days to read and I'm only 10

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing for all ages, June 14, 2013
C.S. Lewis once wrote something to the effect that if you read a book as a kid and didn't like it as an adult it probably wasn't worth reading as a kid. Being a father of 6 I have had many opportunities to test this advice. In my experience it is most definitely true. I read this book as a teen. Now, almost 50, I have read it at least 8 times. Amazingly, as is with great literature, it doesn't get old. It seems to find new ways and new things to stir the moral imagination.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, June 12, 2013
The children are charming in this book, but the horses are so wonderfully developed as characters, too. This one can be read as a stand-alone book because the story isn't related to the Pevensies or Eustace or the other children. The only constant character is Aslan, and the lands are the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars An exciting story., May 31, 2013
This piece of C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia series is an excellent adventure story for kids 10- adult to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood fantasies worth reading as an adult, May 29, 2013
E. Rock (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
Funny that I should have known of CS Lewis as a child by his religious books and not his fantasy series. But now I am returning to them for easy escapism to other worlds through the eyes of children. Pleasant, enjoyable fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Adventure and to see positive results in a poor boys life, May 28, 2013
Enjoyed the adventure and the developing story of a poor boy's life and felt he earned a better life, not just inherited it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Underrated Narnia novel, May 26, 2013
The underrated, forgotten Narnia book that may never be made into a movie.

It doesn't have Lucy, Edmund, Eustace and all the other familiar characters, but Aravis and Shasta are more exciting anyway.

I loved The Horse and His Boy, and I read it more than any of the other Narnia books. It's an exciting adventure about strangers joining forces to escape a terrible life and find a new one. There's no shortage of excitement and adventure, and if I remember correctly, it doesn't shove allegory in your face.

I haven't read this since I was child, and I don't remember anything negative. A more educated reader will probably find Lewis's Calormen ridiculously racist. Well, Lewis was from a time when other cultures were viewed as silly and barbaric. I look at it as a gauge of how the west was different, rather than being inordinately offended by a work of fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have read these books since my own childhood, May 24, 2013
Well worth reading; for your self as a child, YA or adult. Or just reading it to your own children and thereby getting to read it yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two children and two horses fleeing -- and growing up, May 20, 2013
Shasta flees a tyrannical father on a talking horse and has many adventures before making an amazing discovery. That doesn't make me want to read it. What makes me want to read it is that it's C.S.Lewis telling the story and that I know the characters will be fully drawn in simple but aching perfection. My mouth will grow dry and I'll suffer with Shasta as they cross the desert. I'll be spooked, too, when I spend the night at the tombs. My breath will be drawn in when I hide behind the sofa, listening to a conversation between men who would easily slit my throat. And the picture of the noble Narnians in Calorman, dressed in regal colors, smiling, arms swinging -- well, I want to be like them! I recommend that you read it. And that you read it every year.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great book by CS Lewis, May 17, 2013
These stories are more like long parables. They have a great message of trusting God and doing right even when no one is watching. One of my favorites in the series.

‹ Previous | 119 20 2138 | Next ›