Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Horse and His Boy: The Chronicles of Narnia
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on February 10, 2006
The Horse and his Boy is about a young boy named Shasta. Shasta doesn't feel like he belongs in his fisherman world of cruelty. For when he encounters a talking horse from Narnia, he rides away from his master and into a daring adventure.

I really liked this book because it had a fairly good story plot. Everything in the book happened like it was supposed to. What I didn't like about this book is that it board me in some places.

I liked the book, but out of the series of the Chronicles of Narnia, it was my least favorite.

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes to read about kings and queens and pheasants. It is kind of like the middle ages, only twisted. Anywhy, it was still a fairly good read.
on December 16, 2003
In Narnia, the land between the lamp-post and the Castle of Cair Paravel, animals talked, magical things happened and adventures began.
Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy were returning to boarding school when they were summoned from the dreary train station to return to the land of Narnia. Narnia is the land where they had ruled as kings and queens and where their help was desperately needed. Will they leave boarding school and save their city? Well, read Prince Caspian to find out.
This book is a great book for kids of all ages. it's a wonderful adventure book and amazing and exciting things happen all the time. This is the first book that I have read by C.S. Lewis, but I know that it won't be my last.
By:Lindsay
on March 8, 2006
Have you ever wanted to go to a magical place with talking animals? This book is about a royal boy named Shasta who's father is forcing him to get married. So Shasta runs away with an enchanted talking horse from Narnia and meets some new people on the way. Shasta is trying to escape to Narnia. Shasta has to go through many obstacles such as a town. This is an obstickle because people might find out it is talking horse. The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis is a great book if you love fantasy or the Narnia series, and if you like both this is the perfect book for you. How is Shasta going to keep the talking horse's secret? Will she ever make it to Narnia. Will she be found or give up and go back home? You will have to read the book and find out!
on August 22, 2007
'The Horse and His Boy' is the 5th in publishing order of the Chronicles of Narnia. This story takes place during the reigns of Peter, Edmund, Lucy and Susan as told at the end of 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe'. As such Lucy, Edmund and Susan have small roles, but the protagonist is Shasta a boy who lives with his adoptive father in the land of Calormen. When he discovers that his father means to sell him into slavery, he resolves to run away. He his helped by a talking horse named Bree. Together they resolve to flee north to Narnia and freedom.

This is a wonderful story, with Calormen and the city of Tashbaan evocative of the Arabian Nights tales. Aravis, Shasta, Bree and Hwin are perhaps Lewis's most well rounded characters yet.
VINE VOICEon December 1, 2004
As my five year old son and I make our way through the Chronicles of Narnia (see my other reviews), we've found that, predictably, CS Lewis isn't always at the top of his game in every one. After the relatively dreary tale of The Silver Chair (see my review for the merit I did find in it), we're glad to find in The Horse and His Boy a grand adventure that illuminates how God works in our lives. It's an escape story, a war story, a story of someone desperate to warn others of danger, and a story of the virtues of trust, forgiveness, and love. Highly recommended, and can be read on its own independently of the rest of the series (though you really should start with The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, still the best of the series).
on July 1, 2007
This book is rich, full of imagination, beautiful language and new words, exciting for both boys and girls, and puts the "A" in Adventure! Read it to your 8 or 10 year old. Go on the adventure with them. It's full of wisdom and heart. C.S. Lewis knew how to tell a story... but what's more... he knew the stories that needed to be told. If it is true that we are what we read... you and/or your child will be no less, but a great deal more for the reading of this C.S. Lewis "Chronicles of Narnia" Classic. It is because of children's literature like this, that C.S. Lewis always will be remembered as one of the wisest, deepest thinkers, and most respected theologians during our time. I look forward to the film version....
on May 6, 2000
Having 40 minutes each way to work every day allows me the opportunity to listen to this extremely entertaining and well done adaptation of C S Lewis's Narnia series. While the "Magician's Nephew" is my favorite, this book is right behind it.
I have all of the available Audio CD's in this series and have listened to each of them several times. They also make good companions on long trips and plane flights.
Each one of these is superbly done. The best part is that you don't have to keep switching tapes like you do with the Audio tape series.
I highly recommend these CD's to you and hope that you 'Use your time wisely' and buy these audio CD versions for your library and family!
on December 1, 2004
I read the Chronicles of Narnia during childhood. It is one of the great fantasy series of all time. My favorite chapter in the series is by far The Horse and His Boy. The story stands by itself in some ways. The two main characters the Horse Bree and the boy Shasta are not involved in the books preceding this and they do not play large roles in any the books afterward. Even so the storytelling itself it top notch.

Of the Chronicles The Horse and His Boy is by far the fastest paced story. It is one adventure after another and the characters encountered are unforgettable. It has been a decade since I last read this book and I still have fond memories. I highly recommend it.
on July 7, 1999
I love all the books in the chronicals about Narnia, but this one is a little different. It takes place during book #2 The lion the whitch and the warderobe. It doesn't have the same sort of magic as the other books do, but it is still full of magic. Shasta and Bree's journey is very enjoyable especially when they are joined by Aravis and Vin. It has become my favorite in the chronicals because of the secret past of Shasta and also because it tells us a little about what Lucy, Edmund and Susan went through as king and queens. Read this book, and definatley read the rest of the books in the chronicals.
on December 7, 2001
There are people who seem noble, and people who seem common. But when the chips are on the line, character is what really counts. This book is the story of a young boy without a history, who rises to the occasion.
Besides being great "adult" reading, this is a great book to read to children (ages 4-5 and up). It gives them a picture of a hero to whom they can relate. Shasta is a young boy in a very bad situation who is given an extaordinary opportunity. This book is the story of what he does with the opportunity, and what he becomes in the process.
If you plan to buy this, get the whole Chronicles of Narnia pack. You'll want to know the whole Narnia story.