4.0 out of 5 stars Dog lovers, this book is for you!
Published on September 20, 2007 by Shannie Mills

3.0 out of 5 stars Shipping overpriced
Book in so so shape. It was an old library book. I thought the shipping was a little high but price of book was low. Very cute story though
Published 5 months ago by Brandi Crum

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Dog lovers, this book is for you!, September 20, 2007
Shannie Mills (Lansing, MI. United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hound from the Pound (Hardcover)
This is an adorable picture book that features a lovely, heartwarming story and beautiful illustrations. I love the rhyming, sing-songy text. I bought it for a couple who have a bassett hound and their new baby. The bassett hound holds the spotlight, but many other dog breeds appear in the story, too, including daschunds, greyhounds and bulldogs. There is quite a bit of text on each page, so I would recommend it for toddlers on the older end and up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Three Silly Chicks Review, October 15, 2007
"In Manchester Square, in a cottage of stone,
Miss Mary Lynn MacIntosh lived all alone.
The bedroom was cozy, the kitchen was clean,
but the days were too dreary, too doggone routine."

So begins Jessica Swaim's HOUND FROM THE POUND, a delightful wag of a tale about a lonely woman who finds companionship (and LOTS of it) from Blue, the titular hound from the pound, who invites all his friends over to hang at Miss Mary's:

"Retrievers lined up at the toilet to drink.
Chihuahuas swam laps (muy bien!) in the sink.
A bloodhound got gummy bears stuck in his snout.
Shar-peis used the shower to steam wrinkles out."

Mary continues to be overrun by eager pound pups until Sam the Dog Trainer arrives just in time to save the day. The final spreads reveal a yappy ending for everyone (although Jill McElmurry's fashionista poodle bridesmaids do tend to steal the show!). Don't be surprised when kids holler AH-ROOooo and hound you for repeated readings of this fun romp!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dog stories, March 21, 2010
This review is from: The Hound from the Pound (Hardcover)
I collect children stories about dogs because I volunteer doing pet therapy and we do a program called read to the dogs. We have children who are shy about reading out loud, read a story to our dogs. Dogs don't tease of judge so the children feel free to read out loud. The dogs just give love. I loved this book, the illustrations are great and the story is well written. I took this to our program and the children loved this story. Like the lesson that dogs from the pound that are trained can be wonderful pets. It really lets children know that a rescued dog is a treasure. Good lesson presented in a fun way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming story and illustrations, October 19, 2011
This review is from: The Hound from the Pound (Hardcover)
This is a delightful children's book -- it's fun to read aloud and has charming illustrations. The story follows a lonely young woman named Mary who takes a trip to the pound in order to find a four legged friend -- and finds much more than she bargained for! Humorous, romantic, and silly -- it's a fun story for dog lovers of all ages.

My one-year-old son is fascinated with dogs at the moment, and he loves pointing to the many pictures of dogs in this book. It's a great book for introducing children to various dog breeds -- from bloodhounds to bedlingtons and all the ones in between.

The story is told in a wonderful lilting rhyme, which really "works" when read aloud. Only beware of the many dog related puns -- "pawsitive things" or "dogged devotion" -- they're perfect for elementary schoolers, but may cause some eye rolling from adults in the room.

5.0 out of 5 stars Basset Hounds are Great!, May 16, 2010
This review is from: The Hound from the Pound (Hardcover)
Being a Basset Hound family for 40 years, I always check out books related to this dog. I purchased this book for my grandchildren (who also have a Bassset). They love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars My son's favorite book. Ah rooooooo, June 17, 2009
This review is from: The Hound from the Pound (Hardcover)
This is my 20 mo old son's favorite book and has been for months now. He carries it around the house calling "Ah roooo" and will ask anyone to read it to him. He loves looking at the pictures of all the dogs, pointing out the blue basset and calling out Ah rooo whenever he sees him. Ah roo was one of his first and still one of his favorite animal sounds. After having read the book (literally) hundreds of times, I am still charmed by it, although now I can recite it by memory. Great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightfully charming and whimisical book!, October 24, 2007
Stacey Patterson (TORRANCE, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hound from the Pound (Hardcover)
This book is absolutely charming; from the lyrical pose to the victorian-esque illustrations. It will warm hearts everywhere, whether you are a die hearted dog lover or one who believes in "happily ever after". This book will be a wonderful addition to any storytime venue - kids will love it and adults will love reading it.

Kudos to these two women for putting together such a wonderful piece of literary art!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!!, November 22, 2010
B. Hartman "quinnbee" (Palm Beach Area, Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hound from the Pound (Hardcover)
My 4 1/2 yr old loves this book! She's currently infatuated with all things "dog". This book was perfect and the ending is so sweet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Book, September 17, 2010
This review is from: The Hound from the Pound (Hardcover)
We came upon this book at the library, and both my kids (ages 3 and 5 at the time) loved it. So we had to buy a copy of our own. Great rhyming text, fun pictures, and a cute story about a mischievous basset hound, saving dogs from the pound, and love. It's one of our favorites!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun to Read!, May 9, 2008
This review is from: The Hound from the Pound (Hardcover)
As a mom, I often find myself having to repeatedly read really boring, sometimes awkwardly worded books over and over. This one was a refreshing change. My toddler loves to hear it as much as I love to read it! I'm always happy when it is the book he chooses for story time. It is a cute story with pretty illustrations and the way the words flow is wonderful!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Hound from the Pound
The Hound from the Pound by Jill McElmurry (Hardcover - August 28, 2007)
Used & New from: $0.40