5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, exquisite surprise
I nervously took a chance on this first published work by this author. Half way through this book, i was still so enthralled and enraptured with this book, that i couldn't put it down. Lovely, romantic, and polished writing continued through the entire work. I constantly search for P&P variations, and am so glad i came across this novel. You will love this variation.
Published 18 months ago by D. Mansfield

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant Read
Published 17 months ago by Buttercup

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, exquisite surprise, March 23, 2013
This review is from: The Houseguest A Pride and Prejudice Vagary (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars You will Welcome this Houseguest, March 21, 2013
Sheryl (ORADELL, NEW JERSEY, US) - See all my reviews
Captivating variation of the beloved Pride and Prejudice. A romantic and thoughtful change up where friendship begets friendship and then so much more. Unknown to her brother, a recovering Georgiana invites Elizabeth to London to spend a few weeks while Darcy is away, but when his travels end early, he returns to a surprise Houseguest who has bewitched him body and soul. Elizabeth is taken in hand by the extended family and experiences the successes and torments of a London season, while Darcy twists and turns. All the usual characters, and a few good additions make this a fascinating tale of Regency romance and familial love. An excellent read.

5.0 out of 5 stars True to Austen's original characters, August 5, 2013
JamesInJapan (Osaka-shi, Japan) - See all my reviews
I have read many P&P variations, and found this one to be true to her characters and regency England. Too many variations merely make use of the names of the cast of P&P, but lack the personalities of the characters, replace the morals of regency England with that of the Modern world and replace the drama inducing catalysts of the plot, the "Pride" and "Prejudice" with kidnappings, murder, zombies and Vampires.
This book is not one of those, rather, it is a quality example of taking the menagerie of Austen's characters and the story line in a different direction, but maintaining the integrity of plot devices and personalities that has made P&P one of the most loved English novels. One of the few P&P variations I place on a shelf to read and re-read. It does not lreplace the proper behavior of Regency England with that of modern romance novels, nor the drama of loss of position in society with that of life endangerment or the supernatural; the only significant change is a change of scenery to include London society and the Ton.
I heartily recommend this variation to any who are looking for a well done variation that remains true to the qualities of P&P that make it so special.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant Read, March 30, 2013
What it lacks in historical accuracy and plausibility, it makes up for in charm and some lovely moments. I would have given it four stars, but I found myself pulled out of the story a few too many times thinking 'That would never happen' or 'He would never say that', etc. Stll, the writing style is better than many others in this genre, the dialogue on the whole is easy and enjoyable and there are some sweet, romantic scenes that can't help but leave you smiling. It felt a bit rushed at the end to a neat and happy ending, but it is a very pleasant read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant Read, March 23, 2013
I enjoyed reading about Elizabeth's and Darcy's romance in this story. They seemed true to character and it was interesting to see more of Georgina and other Darcy relations. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone interested in Pride and Prejudice because I do not think they will be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful introduction to a new author, April 5, 2013
When it comes to Pride & Prejudice variations, I am very stingy with my stars. I really feel that, in addition to the author's responsibility to the reader, there is the added responsibility to respect the work that is being 'borrowed' without permission. Elizabeth Adams has lived up to both responsibilities outstandingly well.

I don't believe Jane Austen would object to her treatment of any of her much-loved characters. Are they identical? No, but only somewhat stretched within the pattern she set up. The story line is much altered, but is believable nevertheless and the characters behave pretty much as Miss Austen would have developed them in this new scenario.

The changes in Lizzy can be attributed to being placed in different settings and in unfamiliar situations but her ability to examine and enjoy the world and the people around her, laugh at herself, and be a loving a loyal person are unchanged. Cousin Fitzwilliam has an even closer and more open relationship with Darcy than the fond but formal one usually portrayed. Georgiana has been affected, but is less-damaged by her experience than in other representations. All the original characters appear. Some are more emphasized (such as Lady Matlock) and some are less so (such as--thankfully--Mrs. Bennet and Lydia).

But what I found most fascinating was her development of Mr. Darcy. The facade is that of the same Mr. Darcy: stately, strong, honorable. But the inner self is explored in a softer way, revealing the shyness that leads to so many misunderstandings and misreadings of his character.

It may be heretical to say so but I have sometimes felt that, even in the original, Mr. Darcy's shyness only explains his discomfort and behavior when in public and is not a fundamental part of his being.

It's hard to decipher how it happens, but in this work, Mr. Darcy is a little bit more vulnerable and even more likable (which, considering that I've always thought him the perfect romantic hero, is quite a statement.) He is also less rigid in his decision-making process and is willing to set aside the social schism with Lizzy much sooner and with less inner struggle. All this is done without making him less a product of his time or position in society, or diminishing his manliness, or how he is perceived by others.

You get the feeling that only the reader and the people very, very close to him know this Mr. Darcy. And that's a very nice feeling. I will definitely be on the lookout for future works by this accomplished new author.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST Read!!, March 23, 2013
You will not be able to put it down! I found my self smiling as I read this book and I don't do that a lot with books, it kept me interested all the way till the end. I will be looking for Mir books from this author!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great First Half, March 26, 2013
Reads Too Much (Where the Army Sends Us, USA) - See all my reviews
I was really intrigued by this book for the first 50-60%. After that the author seemed to focus on creating quick conclusions to the multiple interesting story lines and consequently the plot suffered. I wish I could give it 3.5 stars because it really wasn't a bad novel, it just didn't live up to my high expectations (at time of purchase all reviews were 5 stars). I will say that one reviewer mentioned sex scenes and I would like to clarify that there weren't any such scenes. This book is perfectly appropriate for all ages. Also, I very much enjoyed that at the end the author gave a short explanation of the eventuality of all characters which I really enjoyed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Done!, May 12, 2013
I enjoy pride and prejudice vagaries, and read many of them. I appreciate when a author uses their imagination to develop an alternate version of events and conversation, without altering the characters of the people I love from Jane Austen's original works. This was an entertaining version and worth reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, April 14, 2013
Virginia L. Chulkovs "Sniped bro" (New Milford, CT United States) - See all my reviews
This is one of the better P&P sequels. The author captures the style of Jane Austin extremely well, but by force must be compared to her. I would have wished for a little more plot development. She tends to focus quite a bit on the the relationship between Elizabeth and Darcy. I would like to have seen other characters have more of a life of their own. In the epilogue she details how each character became married and their resulting childen, but I would like to have had that scattered throughout the book. Otherwise, the author produced a very satisfying alternate to the original story. The characters were very believable and well-wrought; a thoroughly enjoyable read.

Rate and Discover Movies