5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious--And Suprisingly Accurate!
Published on October 4, 2005 by Janet Boyer

3.0 out of 5 stars The Housewives Tarot: A User's Perspective
I have had this particular deck on my wish list for a while. I love the campy symbolism, and the bold 50's design. It came as advertised in the recipe box, and included a book to help with the card meanings.

Published on July 31, 2006 by Gerina Merlini

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious--And Suprisingly Accurate!, October 4, 2005
This review is from: The Housewives Tarot (Cards)
"According to gossip, The Housewives Tarot was introduced by housewife extraordinaire Marlene Louise in the early 1950's. She was a happy homemaker who seemed to have it all-a devoted husband and obedient children, a sparkling home that was the talk of the town, a fashion sense to die for, and far more than her fair share of women's intuition." - From the instruction book

The Housewives Tarot is a hilarious domestic divination kit that comes in an attractive "recipe" box. The recipe dividers separate the Major Arcana, Minor Arcana, and the instruction book. If that's not amusing enough, there are actual recipes on the back of these dividers, including Divinated Eggs and Ice Box Fortune Cake.

I'm not a fan of 50's décor and I assumed this deck was a mere novelty.

Boy was I wrong!

While some of the montages are laugh-out-loud hilarious in presentation, there is a kernel of truth in each depiction. For example, The Magician sports slicked-back hair (I can practically *smell* the Bryl-cream!), toothy grin, and smarmy wide-eyes-while his hand gesture proclaims "tada!"...referring to a sparkling new (or is it?) washing machine.

A huckster salesman. Now if that isn't a darn good rendering of The Magician...! And how many of you considered that The Magician could embody the sycophant archetype? It never occurred to me until I got my hands on this deck!

The Housewives Tarot provided several other "epiphanies", which surprised and delighted me-in large part to the brief, clever interpretations for domestic metaphors. In addition, the 96-paged instruction booklet provides 3 keywords for each card, a brief interpretation (upright only), and five spreads (including "The Dinette").

Some of my favorite cards in this deck are:

Death - Depicted by rancid mayonnaise crawling with flies, an "expired" timer, and rotten half of tomato. The label? "Real Salmonella. Everything Expires" (complete with skull, cross bones, and roses!).

Justice - A perfectly coiffed mother-looking like a young Elizabeth Taylor-has her son turned over her knee, ready to spank him with a wooden spoon. She wears a mischievous grin, the boy looks like his mouthing the words "help!", and his lollipop goes flying out if his hand. An interesting take on "what goes around comes around"!

The Hermit - A woman soaks luxuriously in a large tub, several bars of soap surrounding her. Need I say more?

The Devil - A long-legged chocolate cake holds a cigarette in one hand and martini in the other. She's surrounded by a can of "Spork", instant coffee, a pack of cigarettes, Redi-Cheez, TV dinner, and a bottle of Valium.

Knight of Pentacles - A smiling, tuxedoed young man holding on to the handle of a shiny red lawnmower.

My husband, who's not a Tarot reader (yet!), thinks The Housewives Tarot is utterly hysterical. His personal favorite is the 2 of Swords: a blindfolded woman about to carve a turkey. Interestingly, we both put this deck through its paces-doing readings for each other. He was able to "read" these cards easily and gave me some accurate, interesting insight. Likewise, I was able to do the same for his particular question.

The cards of the Major Arcana are trimmed in a black/red motif, while the borders of the Minors are depicted thusly:

Pentacles - Pea green
Swords - Red
Wands - Tan
Cups - Aquamarine

The backs are fully reversible, featuring a red and cream tartan design and have a matte finish.

While some of the interpretations in the instruction book-often peppered with name-brand items like Calgon, General Foods International Coffee and TV Guide-may seem cheesy on first glance, the meanings given are surprisingly ingenious.

While I loved this deck as soon as I opened it, I had no idea that I'd actually be able to *read* with it! And to show that you don't have to be Tarot-adept to read with The Housewives Tarot, my husband can read with it, too!

Fans of the June Cleaver era will absolutely love The Housewives Tarot. However, as I said, you don't need to have an interest in this era to enjoy this deck and use it skillfully. Those looking for a fun, non-threatening deck to use with clients will find a jewel here-without sacrificing accuracy or incisiveness.

(Note: I discovered that there were two 10 of Wands card in my deck, and that I was missing the 8 of Wands card. The kind folks at Quirk Books are sending me a replacement 8 of Wands, but be sure to check your cards when you get them!)

(To see 9 card images from this deck, visit the Reviews--Decks section at [...])

Janet Boyer, author of The Back in Time Tarot Book: Picture the Past, Experience the Cards, Understand the Present (coming Fall 2008 from Hampton Roads Publishing)

5.0 out of 5 stars Domestic Divination!, February 17, 2005
Jasmine (Grand Prairie, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Housewives Tarot (Cards)
These cards are some of the most well packaged ones I've seen in awhile. The recipe type box that they come in features dividers (with actual recipes on the back!) to keep everything in place.

The cards themselves are on a good card stock, and have cute gingham backs and wonderful retro images on the fronts. It's been said that the cards are "out of order" but this is not so. Seeing as the "order" has been changed a lot throughout history, there is only the order that we know, not the order that is right. That aside, this was done purposefully - the creators felt that one should meet their Earthly parents before their Spiritual ones. With that in mind, the change is not only unbothersome, it's welcome. It's the first sign that a lot of thought went into this deck.

The images are inspiring, and even people who know nothing of tarot were telling me what the cards meant, because they could relate to the pictures. I've had many a breakthrough with these, and I've only had the deck since January! Each card has given me new insight into the meanings, and most people who aquire the deck say the same.

The "LWB" fits the theme as well, so it doesn't look like the paper booklet inserts usually given with a deck. It comes with some spreads (all of a domestic nature, naturally) and amusing interpretations for the cards.

However, even with the theme, and the humour, this -is- a serious deck. So for all the laughing, when it's time to take it seriously, that comes easily - the deck doesn't pull any punches. But, don't be TOO serious, or "breath odors can start"...

4.0 out of 5 stars so you want to be June Cleaver?, January 6, 2005
This review is from: The Housewives Tarot (Cards)
In spite of the many tarot decks I own, this one is totally unique in its own right. The cards are inspired by the 1950's Ozzie and Harriet era, yet are easy to understand and easy to read. When the deck was given to me as a gift, I thought it would be just another half-hearted attempt to blend a motif into tarot cards - but this one actually works. The writer and illustrator actually know what the cards mean and have devised a deck that meshes insightful cards with hilarious interpretations. It's well worth the money - whether you're a seasoned reader or a novice.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lot of Fun, September 30, 2005
This review is from: The Housewives Tarot (Cards)
This is a wonderful gift for a Tarot OR Retro 50's enthusiast. From the packaging (a recipe box), to the illustrations and the actual interpretations, this is an excellent product.

The detailing of the recipe box, the booklet and actual recipe cards are a treat and are sure to bring a chuckle and a bit of nostalgia.

For the Tarot enthusiast - Be prepared to laugh at yourself and enjoy it. Suprisingly, the cards themselves have some hysterical-yet-dead-on interpretations in the minor arcana (King of Swords). However, not suprisingly, the major arcana is pretty weak as to render it slightly useless as a "real" tarot deck (renumbering of the earlier major cards) - but certainly provides a few comments that can add a new perspective to the Rider-Waite cards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely wonderful!, October 13, 2005
This review is from: The Housewives Tarot (Cards)
This deck is awesome! The imagery is funny, yet very right. It reads very true, and doesn't fluff around with your answers. I liken it to a mother wagging her finger at a wayward child. The little recipes included on the divider cards are neat as well. I highly recommend this deck, it's just fun.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Housewives Tarot: A User's Perspective, July 31, 2006
This review is from: The Housewives Tarot (Cards)

I have used the deck in a couple of the suggested spreads, and also in a couple of my own. I would have liked to see the cards laminated, to give them more durability. They are in a hard card stock, but I think with repeated use, they will wear thin, or become frayed at the edges.

As a deck collector it was something I felt I had to have. It won't be my primary deck for daily readings, but overall I'm happy with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars a wonderful thing to own!, September 27, 2005
This review is from: The Housewives Tarot (Cards)
If i was going to a desert island...this deck would surely be with me!

The little recipe box isn't just cute, it's very resistant and really protect the cards. If you have to travel (and have some space in your bag), you can be sure there will be no scattered or bent cards. AND, you don't need to carry any heavy book - it's all inside your little recipe box!

The little book is also very fun - the meanings are related to the traditional ones but with their own 'housewife' touch. You can see the creators worked hard to make a deck of good quality. Both amateurs and professionals can use this deck without fear!

The card stock seems to be kinda thin (although that makes them very easy to handle), so for me the deck was difficult to use first, as i was afraid of bending the cards. I still think the cards could be a bit sturdier, but i believe it was done on purpose so that they would feel like those old fashioned card stock you use to put recipes on.

I've used this deck for some time already and the cards are in perfect conditions, so this should not be a problem.

This deck is a must-have for any deck collectors, tarot lovers, students, professionals...i haven't met one person who didn't like this deck. It's original, fun, with a real symbolism in the cards that will give you amazing readings!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wicked retro fun!, January 25, 2005
N. M. Stipe (Atlanta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Housewives Tarot (Cards)
The Housewives Tarot is a fun deck with an edge. Yes, there is seemingly a lot of 1950s lightheartedness and innocence, until you start to see all the perfectly-dressed women wielding clippers and knives! The humor reminds me more of Desperate Housewives or the Brini Maxwell Show than Leave It to Beaver, which is just fine with me.

The deck is well-constructed from a Tarot standpoint as well. As another reviewer said, this is not just another half-hearted "theme" deck. The deck gives accurate, easy-to-interpret readings that also tend to have a wickedly humorous edge. Everyone I've shown it to has immediately wanted a reading. The accompanying booklet (LWB) is tongue-in-cheek but helpful. I also appreciate the attention to detail, from the faux "testimonials" to the recipe card dividers. This would be a great addition to a Tarot collection.

I have only two small quibbles with the deck. The Major Arcana in my deck are mis-numbered, with the High Priestess being placed as Card IV, not II (the Empress is II, the Emperor is III). Also, in the LWB, the pages for the Wands suit were out of place at the back of the book, not where they were supposed to be. Still, all of the pages were there, so it's only a minor issue.

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor Card Stock, August 3, 2010
This review is from: The Housewives tarot: A Domestic Divination Kit with Deck and Instruction Book (Cards)
Cute and charming. I love the recipe box packaging. The 50's style artwork is whimsical and invokes the true spirit of the card meanings. But, I purchased these to do readings on a select group of people. Unfortunately, these cards lack a coating and are very susceptible to getting dirty and/or creased when shuffled or read. This is the second recent set of cards (Deviant Moon being the other) that is produced on poor card stock. They are fun to look at, but unusable without being ruined. Cards should have a coating, like the Rider-Waite decks or other "regular" playing cards do. These are strictly for collecting. Not reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars amazing little set, December 2, 2006
This review is from: The Housewives Tarot (Cards)
This set is by far my favorite; it's super-cute and charming! I ordered mine brand-new from Amazon, but there was a problem. I immediately found one card missing. I wrote to the publisher--they didn't respond--but Amazon quickly exchanged it for another (complete) set!! COUNT YOUR CARDS AS SOON AS YOU GET THEM!!

Also, the card meanings in the book are fun but I wouldn't go with them--if you're a beginner, get yourself a proper book. Besides all that, I really love this set.

The Housewives tarot: A Domestic Divination Kit with Deck and Instruction Book