From the Back Cover
The How-To Geek Guide to Windows 8 is the complete guide to Windows that's easy enough to understand for beginners, but comprehensive enough for serious geeks as well.
Within this book you'll find thousands of pictures to help explain everything visually in a step-by-step format. Just some of the topics you'll learn include the following:
- Windows 8 Basics: Learn how to use, customize, and navigate around the new Windows 8 Start Screen and Live Tiles on a touch-enabled tablet and a traditional laptop or desktop.
- Personalization: Learn how to personalize every aspect of the Start Screen, Lock Screen, Live Tiles, and the traditional desktop, including themes, wallpapers, sounds, and more.
- Windows Store: Learn the tips and tricks to get the most out of the new Windows Store apps, including the built-in apps like Mail, Weather, Calendar, and even the new touch-enabled Internet Explorer 10.
- Solving Problems: Protect your PC against disaster with the new Windows Defender, Firewall, System Restore, and learn how to use the new Refresh and Reset features to reinstall your PC without losing your files and documents.
- Even More: Learn how to use Windows Search to find apps, files, and settings, how to create HomeGroups, control your settings with the new PC Settings panel, advanced administration topics like registry editing and a whole lot more.
Bonus Material: read the final chapter to learn 30+ tips for using Windows 8 more effectively, including how to get the Start Menu back, how to skip the Start Screen and boot directly to the Desktop, and a lot more.
About the Author
Lowell Heddings runs the popular How-To Geek web site that helps him win the Microsoft MVP award year after year. His thousands of technology articles have been read by tens of millions of people worldwide, and he's even been published in Popular Science magazine a couple of times. He's currently wearing a t-shirt with a picture of Bender from Futurama.
Matthew Klein is an up-and-coming author who's penned many a great American novel while lying awake at night thinking "I should really get up and write this down." The How-To Geek Guide to Windows 8 is his first stab at professional writing and is, what he hopes will be, the first of many parent-friendly how-to tech books to come. Matt currently resides in Southeast Texas where he practices his Spanglish, searches for the perfect breakfast burrito, and wonders how much bigger pick-up trucks can possibly get.