5.0 out of 5 stars Putting the Human in Big Data
This book really accomplishes what is quite a difficult task: to find a way to connect the inherently nebulous intellectual concept of big data and connect it to real stories and real examples of how it is impacting our lives.

Published 19 months ago by Paul Pierson

1.0 out of 5 stars Well, written, lightweight, & lazy, with an unforgivable wrong
The book has introductory info that is well written. But it's just "stuff" a rah-rah book without any balance about the difficulties of drowning in data, and how little of the huge amount is useful data. There is a big difference between data and information and the authors should have had something to say about that. Reading this article, "Finding Paul Revere"...
Published 12 months ago by Reluctant Badger

5.0 out of 5 stars Putting the Human in Big Data, December 17, 2012
This review is from: The Human Face of Big Data (Hardcover)

After reading this, there is no doubt in my mind that Big Data is the defining movement of this generation. It's not just the individual stories, but the collection that brings about this realization. It really makes you see the data angle in so many things around us.

If you are a data scientist, you should feel pretty good about your employability over the next 50 years. And if you're not, it certainly won't hurt to understand this numeric underbelly that exists all around us.

5.0 out of 5 stars making data human, December 26, 2012
This review is from: The Human Face of Big Data (Hardcover)
This book explores the concept of Big Data from so many interesting perspectives. "Big Data" is a broad term, but Rick Smolan makes it accessible by bringing it down to a personal level.

Through incredible photos and compelling stories, The Human Face of Big Data shows us how data collection, storage and analysis is sparking a quantum leap in human knowledge

From asteroid hunting to farming, to medicine and every area in between, Big Data is affecting almost every area of modern life and the diverse tapestry of stories in this book really show how deep it's influence goes. With essays by experts working in the field, profiles of innovative companies, and engaging personal stories we see how big data is changing our lives right now and will continue change our lives in even more incredible ways in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect gift for the geek in your life, December 25, 2012
This review is from: The Human Face of Big Data (Hardcover)
I was dubious when I heard about this project. As a geek, I knew what "big data" was all about, and have found myself bemused by all of the attention it's been getting lately. I couldn't see how the idea could be translated into a big coffee table book.

Then I got the book, and spent 2 days reading through it. Wow! The pictures were great -- each one seemed to have been hand-crafted to support the story next to it. Those stories were also good: concise, crisp, with just enough detail to let me know whether I wanted to learn more. In several cases I did, using the book as a starting off point to some online surfing and follow up on my own.

As one of the other reviewers pointed out, the book does have a few pages of ads from the main sponsor EMC. So what? I've followed EMC for years, and I still learned a lot about their business from these ads. It's increasingly expensive to do these kinds of books, so I'm happy to put up for with "ad-infographics" if it means the book can be a bit cheaper. Plus, now I have an easier time convincing my wife why I'm so bullish about EMC's stock. :)

Best of all, I now have the PERFECT gift for the other geeks I know. We sit in front of our computer screens all day, and often tend to bore our non-geek friends with stories about what we do. What I like best about this book is that now I have a bunch of really cool stories to pass along to my non-geek friends -- as a geek, I appreciate and "get" the very real computer science underneath; as a cocktail party attendee, I can re-tell very cool stories about why "Big Data" is so important.

Bottom line: Perfect Valentine's gift for the geeks you love.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book for Everyone, February 11, 2013
This review is from: The Human Face of Big Data (Hardcover)
I am finishing the last few pages of the Big Data book today. I think this is a fantastic book for everyone. People can get a good idea of what is really happening in the world of technology and how our means of collecting data is going to affect everyone's lives. And this in almost every area of life. There is intellect, beauty, knowledge, humor, and true humanity here. The book is easy to read, photographs are great, and the access to TED Talks is a superb feature. This will be an excellent "coffee-table" book.
I learned from the book and plan to reference back to it often. It will help in my field of education as I teach in a number of ways. I have already referred a family to the pages on the DuoFertility Monitor. And... I am now studying Spanish with the little owl on Duolingo! I had a feeling that I had won the best prize when I ended up getting this book at a family "gift exchange". I was right.
I am SO DATA - MINDED now!

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, February 10, 2013
Harper Trow (Richmond, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Human Face of Big Data (Hardcover)
This book was a great collection of mini stories of how big data is and will be affecting all of our lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book., February 8, 2013
This review is from: The Human Face of Big Data (Hardcover)
About time someone covered this topic.

The book is a beautiful documentation of a fascinating time in human history. It offers a range of perspectives on how big data is changing our lives. It's clearly biased towards the positive, but hints at some interesting questions and opportunities - along with beautiful images and statements.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Human Face of Big Data, January 30, 2013
This review is from: The Human Face of Big Data (Hardcover)
great review of the unique often unthought of world of Big data of which we are all a part- wonderful pictures!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Incredible!, January 23, 2013
This review is from: The Human Face of Big Data (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my office lobby and now find myself having pry people away from it. The photography is absolutely stunning and, yet, you find yourself reading page after page about how big data has proliferated every aspect of our lives. More importantly, it helps give the "Big Data" industry buzz-term a meaningful, non-abstract, and even human, value. Smolan and Erwitt nailed this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Today and the Future, January 12, 2013
This review is from: The Human Face of Big Data (Hardcover)
A friend recently sent me "The Human Face of Big Data", a book that i would have never thought to purchase for myself. The title sounded like something for scientists or computer engineers but its a big coffee table book and once I opened it I was entranced to learn about a world that I had never even heard about. The pictures are like something out of National Geographic magazine, the short essays are captivating, the illustrations transform complicated topics into something immediately relevant to me. This reminded me of the first time my friends descrbed the internet to me, something that seemd abstract and not something that I would be interested in. Now, like the rest of the world, I am addicted to the internet. This book about how the planet is developing a nervous system is something I've been sharing with many of my friends and they are as surprised as I am at how the book brings this new world to life. I'm 87 and excited to see how humanity keeps innovating. If I could give this book 6 stars, I would.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read if you have an addiction to information, January 5, 2013
This review is from: The Human Face of Big Data (Hardcover)
To say this is a big book would be an understatement, then again, big data is a big topic with a lot of diversity if you open your eyes and think in a pragmatic way, which once you open and see the pages you will see. This is physically a big book (11x 14 inches) with lots of pictures, texts, stories, factoids and thought stimulating information of the many facets and dimensions of big data across 224 pages.

While Big Data as a buzzword and industry topic theme might be new, along with some of the related technologies, techniques and focus areas, other as aspects have been around for some time. Big data means many things to various people depending on their focus or areas of interest ranging from analytics to images, videos and other big files. A common theme is the fact that there is no such thing as an information or data recession, and that people and data are living longer, getting larger, and we are all addicted to information for various reasons.

Big data needs to be protected and preserved as it has value, or its value can increase over time as new ways to leverage it are discovered which also leads to changing data access and life cycle patterns. With many faces, facets and areas of interests applying to various spheres of influence, big data is not limited to programmatic, scientific, analytical or research, yet there are many current and use cases in those areas.

Bottom line, this is a great book and read regardless of if you are involved with data and information related topics or themes, the format and design lend itself to any audience. Broaden your horizons, open your eyes, ears and thinking to the many facets and faces of big data that are all around us by getting your copy of The Human Face of Big Data (Click here to go to Amazon for your copy) book.

Check out more comments and perspectives in my Amazon Authors blog pertaining to this book.

Cheers gs @storageio
Author Cloud and Virtual Data Storage Networking (CRC)
Cloud and Virtual Data Storage Networking

The Human Face of Big Data
The Human Face of Big Data by Rick Smolan (Hardcover - November 20, 2012)
$50.00 $36.85