Save Big On Open-Box & Preowned: Buy "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (DVD / Blu-ray Com...” from Amazon Warehouse Deals and save 61% off the $19.99 list price. Product is eligible for Amazon's 30-day returns policy and Prime or FREE Shipping. See all Open-Box & Preowned offers from Amazon Warehouse Deals.
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (DVD / Blu-ray Combo + Digital Copy)
|Additional Blu-ray options||Edition||Discs||
|New from||Used from|
|Watch Instantly with||Rent||Buy|
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Top Customer Reviews
Let us examine what sets The Hunger Games: Catching Fire a cut above the rest:
1. CAST: Surrounding the amazing Jennifer Lawrence (who has matured into a riveting young actress) is a supporting cast to die for. Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth give good roles, but it is the incomparable Donald Sutherland, who oozes quiet menace from every pore, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, who chews the scenery with a subtle performance, and the amazing Jeffrey Wright who truly astonish. Look also for Jena Malone as Johanna Mason in a brilliant, scene-stealing performance of incredible charisma.
2. CINEMATOGRAPHY: Filled with gorgeous and eye-catching shots, Joe Willems's cinematography fills Panem with striking, practical, gritty, but never dour visuals. From the browns and greys of District 12 to the lush, green, cramped hell of the arena, Catching Fire is one of the best photographed films of the year.
3. COSTUMES AND SET DESIGN: Catching Fire offers, courtesy of small genius Trish Summerville, some of the most luscious, gorgeous, and eye-catching dresses this side of Lord of the Rings. Look for the marked contrast between the grit and the ash of District 12 with the gleam and color of the Capitol. THG's realistic set design and costuming brings a whole new field of "real" to the game.
4. ACTION: The perfect blend of psychological build-up and riveting action, the last hour of Catching Fire is an absolute powerhouse of action.Read more ›
The Hunger Games director, Gary Ross, steps aside for the sequel as the reigns fall on the shoulders of highly-acclaimed music video and occasional film director, Francis Lawrence (Water for Elephants, I Am Legend). Catching Fire, based on the novel sequel of the same name by Suzanne Collins, picks up in the aftermath of the Hunger Games victory by Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) and Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson). Back in District 12, the pair attempts to reclaim their lives of normalcy while still dealing with the emotional backlash of being forced to murder people for the benefit of entertaining a legion of disassociated onlookers.
With the residents of the twelve districts becoming more and more agitated and on the verge of a revolution, President Snow places the blame on the actions of Katniss and her refusal to kill Peeta.Read more ›
It's also worth remembering that the movie is a children's movie based on a children's book and despite the fact that it deals with some fairly violent subject matter, it does it in a very child-friendly way. Adults who are accustomed to the usual gore Hollywood likes to spew out will notice a much tamer take on the subject.
Additionally, I've read the books but I can't imagine this movie would suffer terribly for those who hadn't. The whole thing is fairly straightforward with no great complexity so it would be difficult to get lost even without previous experience in the texts.
Lastly, the thing that makes me like this series most is its strong underlying social commentary on the plutocracy in which we live in this country. For kids reading the book today, they're probably not seeing the parallels but once they get older it's just possible they'll see echoes of this in their own government and the social stratification that we live with every day.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Great Movie in general......also got Mocking Jay Part 1
Looking forward to the Grand Finale: Mocking Jay 2
Just as good as the first in the series, if not better - I was at the edge of my seat from the first minute on!Published 1 day ago by Joan M. Bouchard
|Topic||From this Discussion|
|UltraViolet Digital Copy||
What you get varies by studio. Paramount and Universal both offer iTunes and Ultraviolet on all their releases. Sony and Warner offer UltraViolet only on all their releases. Fox and Lionsgate always have UltraViolet, and only sometimes iTunes, but lately it has been moving away from iTunes. Soon... Read More
Mar 4, 2014 by Joshua Clinard | See all 8 posts
|Catching Fire Instant download||
I really, really HATE that I can no longer get an iTunes code to download a digital copy of the movie. the UV Flixter link has NEVER worked on my computer, no matter what I do, and I am faced with paying $20 twice -- once to get the actual disk and once to buy it on iTunes -- if I want to have... Read More
Mar 7, 2014 by Barbara A. Powell | See all 4 posts
|Hunger Games 1 & 2 Steelbooks at Best Buy||
Thanks for the info. I ordered mine today. Both steelbooks also come with $8 off admission to Divergent. What a deal for only $27.99!
Mar 2, 2014 by Monkdude | See all 4 posts
|Imax Aspect Ratio||
Mar 2, 2014 by B. Albert | See all 2 posts
Kinda. There were actually people making that comparison when the first movie came out.
Jan 23, 2014 by B. Albert | See all 2 posts
|Spanish||Be the first to reply|
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Blu-ray
- Movies & TV > Blu-ray > Movies
- Movies & TV > Digital Copy
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Mystery & Thrillers
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Science Fiction
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy