5.0 out of 5 stars The Hunger But Mainly Death Games Review
I loved this book! It was really funny and yes, it did have a few cuss words but hey!! I will probably end up reading this book again!! :)
Published 22 months ago by Jerri Heinitz

1.0 out of 5 stars A Reader's Quest Review
Published on January 24, 2012 by Meagan Hightower

1.0 out of 5 stars A Reader's Quest Review, January 24, 2012
This review is from: The Hunger But Mainly Death Games: A Parody (Kindle Edition)
I usually love reading parodies (like Nightlight); however Bratniss Everclean's The Hunger But Mainly Death Games has to be one of the worst parodies I have ever read because it wasn't even funny. I thought I would like it because of how many 5 star reviews there were, but sadly I could not like it. The only good thing is that I bought it on my Kindle and won't have to look at it ever again.

Unlike the original Hunger Games series, this particular parody had almost no action. It didn't even logically follow through on the plot points because many points were negated repeatedly. The characters were very Out of Character to the point that I felt certain that I wasn't reading a HG series parody, expect for the fact that title of the book is used so many times that it is obvious it's trying to be a HG parody.

The humor wasn't even funny to me because fart and trash jokes aren't my thing after they were repeated so many times (the first 2 times where enough and after that it got old fast). I normally like humor if it's subtle; the humor in this book is not subtle at all. If you have to rely on Harry Potter, Twilight, Lady Gaga and Ke$ha jokes and references to make the book sound funny or relevant, then I definitely think and know that is a sign of very weak writing (other than the numerous grammar errors, and there were a ton of those in this book).

I would not recommend this book at all. I wish I had gotten the sample before purchasing the book; but sadly I bought it when it was a Kindle freebie, and I still thought it was terrible after I finished reading it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Thank God I only wasted my monthly Kindle library loan, April 5, 2012
Jill Jackson (cincinnati, OH United States) - See all my reviews
I know it's only 99 cents, but I'd be pissed if I'd actually spent money on this book. In order for a parody to be successful, the writer has to either "get" the original and have the talent and skill to turn it on its head. This writer doesn't... which explains why this book is only 99 cents.

It seems like this person threw it together in an afternoon, possibly after several bong hits, in an effort to capitalize on the success of the original series.

I recommend not wasting your time. There are other, better, parodies.

1.0 out of 5 stars Seriously?, April 27, 2012
I, your average Middle Schooler (also one who emjoyed The Hunger Games), have read the sample for this book. IT IS HORRIBLE. I cannot MAKE myself laugh at this book, the names do not make any sense, and the whole book is practically a bunch of 7-year olds drawing mustaches on The Hunger Games.

DO NOT BUY.

1.0 out of 5 stars crude, stupid, and insulting, April 4, 2012
i read the sample of this book while waiting for the hunger games movie to come out. i am a huge fan of the hunger games, and by all the five star reviews i thought this would be hilarious. on the first page of this book i was a little unsure about it. over the next few pages i was disgusted. i didnt laugh a single time. not even a giggle or a smile. the book is written on a flimsy outline of the actual hunger games, but is so filled with poop and garbage talk it is ridiculous. then, they make the characters stupid and lacking of all the good characteristics they contained before. this book is an insult to he origional, gross, and utterly a waste of time and money. read the sample first

2.0 out of 5 stars Written by a 7th grade boy?, April 28, 2012
If you like sophomoric humor (and I do) you won't like this book because the "humor" is several grades below sophomore. It starts off nicely and I actually thought I was in for a treat but my treat slowly turned into a trick. Pulling characters from other stories (Harry Potter for one) and executing Stephanie Meyers for the crime of writing horrible fiction detracted from the parody and was downright distasteful (like them or not). I had to will myself to finish the story if only to be able to comment on it here. I began reading the story aloud to my two daughters (12 & 15) who are fans of the REAL trilogy but I lost them by the halfway point of the story because it "got too stupid" for them. The author had a fantastic opportunity to create a clever, fun parody of the biggest story since Harry Potter and as I said, he/she began OK. Unfortunately, they lost their way or their creativity and sunk into the doldrums of idiocy and crassness to finish a very ho-hum book. I only give it 2 stars because there are so many 1 star reviews, I'm afraid no one will read this! For God's sakes, spend your money on a good book! If you really want to find out for yourself, wait until this shows up on a freebie list. It shouldn't be long now. This was the first e-book I actually paid for and I'm embarrassed to admit that.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring and Ridiculous, March 16, 2012
Such a waste of money. I wish I could get my money back. Wasn't even close to being funny or entertaining.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did a ten yr. old write this?!, June 14, 2012
Thank the Lord i bought the sample first. I usually try and find the positives in books, but this was...very juvenile. I'm in highschool, and I'm VERY far from serious. I'm the girl that loves tobuscus. You can't be serious and love and understand tobuscus; so it's not that I'm some boring, knot-on-a-log, not going to crack yo-mama, or chuck norris joke from time to time (actually, i crack them all the time0_o), person. It was just very corny to me. The names were just plain retarded. It written like the average 10 yr. old boy wrote it. (no offense to ten year old boys :) ) Some people may love this book. I'm not going to say don't ever read it, just read the sample first.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not funny - just stupid!, September 21, 2012
Janis R Worsham (Cedartown, GA United States) - See all my reviews
I really didn't get past the first chapter of this book. You would need to have a LOT of empty time on your hands to read this. I have better things to do. Would not recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hunger But Mainly Death Games Review, March 7, 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, February 19, 2013
I choose this rating b/c it was well written and did not end like the real book and it was funny.
I liked the book for the same reason.
Also,I recommend the book to anyone wants a good laugh.

The Hunger But Mainly Death Games: A Parody