Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

Format: HardcoverChange

on December 14, 2012
Driving home after working the graveyard shift a couple of weeks back I turned on the radio to NPR and as perfect timing would have it Kevin Young was reading a poem called "Butter" from his anthology " The Hungry Ear - Poems of Food & Drink". As a vegan I am not ashamed to admit that my mouth was watering the rest of the way home. Knowing very little about poetry I had never heard of Mr. Young. I had only recently started downloading several books of poetry and haiku to my Kindle in the hopes that reading them would help me reduce stress. After listening to the entertaining and educational piece on NPR, as soon as I got home I downloaded this wonderful anthology to my Kindle. Let me just say that we should all be very grateful that Kevin Young is not only skilled at choosing poems (and quotes) that run the gambit from funny to sad to insightful to quirky to profoundly moving but, possessing a poets soul himself, wrote an emotionally stirring introduction that is poetic in and of itself. It gave me a previously undiscovered perspective on the importance of "The Table" in family and friend relationships. I guess I should also thank Mr. Young for helping me take care of a large chunk of my holiday shopping. I come from a large family where gathering for meals is integral and this book will certainly be appreciated by all who receive it (I've bought eight so far). I have only one complaint: Kevin Young has written several books of poetry as well as edited other anthologies but ... ONLY this one is in ebook format. Mr. Young, PLEASE, I'm begging you. I would love to have all your works on my Kindle. I hope you and your publisher will consider this. I am very happy to highly recommend this anthology.
22 comments7 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 25, 2014
Most of the other review are spot on, but I want to add my voice to the chorus of praise. Five or ten years ago, I needed an anthology of "food poems" because I wanted to see the 'lay of the land' before I embarked on writing some myself. There were slim pickings. Sections of other anthologies (particularly, What Cheer? from 1945) had strong sections dedicated to "food poems"; but otherwise, the strongest contemporary anthology I found was one dedicated to issues of eating disorders which wasn't exactly what I was looking for. The Hungry Ear, however, is a genuine celebration of our second greatest appetite. Arranged by seasons, inclusive of breakfast, lunch and supper; appetizers, main course, dessert; seasonal harvests and drinks for all occasions, Kevin Young has gathered a praiseworthy, 300-page collection of "food poems." But what kind of poets would only focus on the virtues and vices of the food in question? The poets, at their best, see in our connection to food a connection with our ancestors and with our planet. They draw us to food's special ability to enhance a celebration, and to alleviate a loss. They celebrate food's ability to evoke memories as well. And I'm glad the editor has included "food poems" by many of my favorite poets from the second half, yea the last quarter, of the 20th century, as well as a few that are completely new to me. It's a reminder of food's magical ability to cement and strengthen relationships. And, Kevin Young's fingerprint again, the anthology begins and ends with poems about blackberries. (It's amazing how many disparate poets have poems about blackberries--and crows.) How can you be more attuned to the zeitgeist than that?
on January 27, 2015
This is a great book of wonderful poems about food from many famous and not so famous writers. There are over 150 poems that beg to be reread time and time again. Some are funny, some are romantic, but all the poems will give you a new appreciation of the power of words. It is also helpful as it replaces cravings to eat... you know, those urges between meals when you have some free time and you start looking for snacks? Eloquent words about food can be more satisfying than most junk food binges. Try it...you will be pleasantly rewarded.
on December 29, 2012
I ordered this book as a gift for someone after hearing it reviewed on NPR. When it came in, I skimmed through it, and I liked the snippets I read so much, as well as the variety of poets, that I ordered a other copy for myself. It is accessible enough for casual readers of poetry, but also will find fans among serious poetry readers. It's also a great gift for foodies. The first copy I ordered arrived slightly damaged, but the second one was fine.
on January 14, 2013
I accidentally bought a Kindle edition of this; was surprised to see it ready to download on my Kindle. I had meant to buy it as a Christmas gift for my English major/foodie sister. But i'm glad I have it. The poems are by first rate poets and are a delight to read.
on December 23, 2012
Quirkily, but logically organized with a worthwhile introduction, The Hungry Ear: Poems of Food and Drink, is my second book of poetry to be kept on my Kindle. It is a volume I will repeatedly turn to when thinking about food, drink, or just life.
on January 4, 2013
Luscious poems about finding berries, fields and flurries of veggies make poems of the great and near great palatable to a lost generation of poetry readers. Some are worthy of being set to music.
on February 16, 2013
Heard about this book on NPR and decided it was a must have Christmas present for my daughter. (She's a gourmet cook and poet.) Both her passions in one book! She loved it!
on May 18, 2013
Great and entertaining. I will order it again for others. My brother and his wife loved it. They did not know who it was from until I told him. How does one fix this?
on March 9, 2014
There is lots of solid material in this select anthology of poems on food and drink. The range is from older poems to contemporary.