5.0 out of 5 stars Step-By-Step, Easy-to-Follow, Long-awaited Diet Plan
I've read through the new Hungry Girl Diet book and here’s a recap of what I've seen:

If you need someone to hold your hand and walk you through step-by-step, this book does exactly that!

Published 9 months ago by Dropping The Pounds

2.0 out of 5 stars Wanted to love it but.......
Published 8 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Step-By-Step, Easy-to-Follow, Long-awaited Diet Plan, March 25, 2014
This review is from: The Hungry Girl Diet: Big Portions. Big Results. Drop 10 Pounds in 4 Weeks (Hardcover)

The book is a 4-week program. There is a separate chapter for each of the 4 weeks, and within each week there is a separate page for every day of the week (i.e., Week 1 - Day 1, Week 1 - Day 2, Week 1 – Day 3, etc.).

Every single day has its own menu plan broken down into Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and Snacks. It is very structured, but there is also a lot of flexibility within that structure.

For each meal, you can choose from 3 different menu choices (breakfast on Week 1, Day 1, for example, offers your choice of Mega Fruit ‘n Yogurt Bowl, Egg Scramble & Bun, or Growing Oatmeal B-fast). For every menu item, there is a reference to the page number in the book where you can find the recipe for that item. There are over 60 recipes in this book.

There are also little reminders throughout about when to drink your water.

When the book is opened to a menu plan for a given day, the menu plan is on the right-hand page, and the left-hand page has helpful hints, time-saving shortcuts, money-saving tips, ideas for food swaps, etc.

There are chapters, amongst others, on how to maintain your weight loss after you’ve completed the 4 week program, on how to handle dining out at restaurants, etc., and on helpful hints about exercise (although this book is geared almost exclusively around food, the subject of exercise is touched upon).

OK, and now some notes about the Hungry Girl Diet...

It can be used on its own, or in conjunction with other weight-loss programs (i.e., Weight Watchers, counting calories, etc.).

It will work with vegetarian diets and there are a number of sample vegetarian recipes included in the book. It is not, however, vegan-friendly because she says there are A LOT of recipes with Greek yogurts and egg whites.

If you’ve got other Hungry Girl cookbooks that you’d like to use during this diet, no you don’t! COMPLETELY forget about those books for now. While you’re on this diet, the book instructs you to ONLY eat from the recipes in this book. There are some recipes in her other cookbooks that use processed foods for simplicity’s sake.

Written under the direction and supervision of a registered dietitian, this book, on the other hand, concentrates on recipes using natural foods and avoids processed foods.

You’ll not be buying microwavable quick meals with this diet; you’ll be doing a lot of cooking from scratch. The recipes, however, are all very simple to prepare, even if you’re not talented, so to speak, in the kitchen.

A number of people have already gone through this diet as the book was being developed, many of which are staffers at Hungryland (the Hungry Girl headquarters). Weight losses of 10 to 20+ pounds have been quoted during the 4 week period. She says you WILL lose weight on this diet if you follow it to the letter.

Given the flexibility it offers in the day-by-day meal plans, it should be an easy diet to follow.

My review originally posted on Facebook:
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for unstable blood sugar, May 9, 2014
Thank you, thank you, thank you for this. I did WW for a long time, and while it worked, I was constantly hungry and average a half pound lost per week. I didn't think that was so bad, being 5 feet tall without a ton to lose, but as the lbs crept back, I decided to try this one. So far, I've followed it to the letter and am on day 9.

Hunger: Yeah, I'm sometimes hungry, though that seems to be fading quite a bit here on day 9 (and giant glasses of iced herbal teas help). But I'm very satisfied after meals and can eat 6 times a day.

Blood sugar: If you have this problem, you know diets can be so, so hard - and some actually impossible. The balance of protein and fat without too much carb and very little sugar in this diet has left me *perfectly* stable. Such a relief.

Meals: Before the diet, I didn't eat any processed foods, so it's a little weird to see the Laughing Cow in my fridge. But honestly, nearly everything else I've been eating has been pretty natural. There are a lot of giant piles of veggies dressed up in various ways with protein and fats. I thought I was a big veggie eater, but nothing like this. I have to think that offsets whatever is in my Laughing Cow and premade, light mayo. And honestly, I'm not too worried about 28 days of using those ingredients. This is just an intervention.

Structure: I love the short time frame. It really allows you to commit. I simply told people I need these four weeks to not eat out or go for drinks. Instead of the feeling I had on WW (that I was going to be doing this forever, so it had to be 'realistic' and include restaurants and a few drinks), I'm instead extremely motivated to see what I can get done in the remaining days. It's working a whole lot better.

Results: I'm small, female, and only had 15 lbs. to lose. I lost 5 lbs in the first 8 days. That is crazy. Overall, I'm *less* hungry than I was on WW - yay for giant piles of veggies and for the magic protein + fat + fiber formula. I still have 20 days left and am super excited about it.

So glad I got the hard copy of this. I have no doubt it will be my go-to 'reset' program for years.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wanted to love it but......., April 6, 2014
I'm a huge Hungry Girl fan and have all her books. I pre-ordered this so it would be delivered the day it released and was really looking forward to it. After 30 minutes of paging thru it, I was really disappointed. I'm not sure what I expected, but it wasn't this. It basically tells you to choose one of three recipes for bfast/lunch/dinner daily for the entire week. The 'recipes' were not at all what I expected. A recipe for a 'fruit and yogurt bowl', tuna/turkey/chicken platter, or burger with side salad? I don't know anyone who diets who doesn't already know how to mix fruit into a bowl of yogurt, or make a sandwich with a sandwich thin. The burger recipe is just that, 4 oz burger on a sandwich thin. Really???

On the plus side, there are some good tips and tricks and like the recipes for the veggie dips -- haven't seen those before and will be trying them. On the VERY plus side, there seems to be less reliance on processed foods and artificial sweeteners in this book. I have been 'eating clean' and have kind of moved away from her recipes because many of the old ones relied heavily on those ingredients. There is even a mention in this book that she is starting to do the same thing......so hopefully future recipe books will continue that trend.

I love everything about Lisa Lillien and SO wanted to love this book, but I wouldn't recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this diet!!!!!, March 26, 2014
This diet is amazing. I for one know, bc I was a tester and I lost over 10lbs in the 4 week program and I am continuing to lose weight.
You are always full and it is great that you get different food options for each meal and snack (just incase you are the type of person who gets bored easily). There is no guess work involved. If you follow it, you are guaranteed to lose at least 10lbs.
Go Hungry Girl!!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Great Ideas, but..., May 23, 2014
A reader "read2much" (wild west, El Paso del Norte) - See all my reviews
This book seems like it was written for a dieting single woman. My husband wanted to also drop a few pounds, and after 2 days on the first week plan, he flatly refused to eat any more chicken breast. I have used some of the Hungry Girl recipes and had to make a few adjustments to make them work. In order for the Fiber One cereal crumbs to stick dredge the chicken breast, onion rings, egg plant in flour first. It bonds with the egg beaters and makes a glue to anchor the crumbs. Many of the snack ideas are great too, especially the stuffed strawberries.
I could not abide the shirataki noodles or the oven fried carrots and butternut squash for french fries. This diet can be expensive and depends on a lot of packaged food. I've adapted some of her ideas to my meal repertoire, but it's weighing, measuring, and calorie counting that does the trick.
The best thing about Hungry Girl is that Lisa Lillien is a great cheer leader and always positive. I also like the restaurant survival guides.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just ok, April 29, 2014
Although the meals are easy to make, I was doing a lot of dishes every day since you have to make all three meals. Tasty, but I found it to be time consuming. Also, I don't usually keep most of the ingredients on hand and even had trouble finding some of them. I lost 5 pounds the first week, but after 2 weeks was tired of cooking so much!

5.0 out of 5 stars Diet tester approved!, March 26, 2014
I was a diet tester for this book and I have to say I am so impressed. The portions are huge and I was never hungry!

I lost 10 pounds like the cover says in my first 4 weeks and I am still losing. I will be sticking to this plan for a long time. The recipes are great and I find that the variety is even better. I 500% recommend this book to anyone that loves to eat as much as I do and just needs some help learning to portion. A++++++++ great job Lisa!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this diet plan, April 22, 2014
Like others who have written reviews I have been a Hungry girl fan for years and had high expectations for this book. This has definately lived up to the expectations and more. I have been following the plan now for about a week and have already lost 6lbs!!!!! While I am sure this will slow down soon, I will take it :) While there are some basic recipes, most are things I would never have thought of. I am always full and never feel deprived, hamburgers (yummy) and Tacos (amazing) and even pizza (hello). I have not tried all of the recipes yet, but I can't wait!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, well written, worth puchasing, March 30, 2014
This is a good book. I have followed Hungry Girl online for a while. I didn't purchase this so much for the "diet" part of it as I got it for recipes. I think the diet itself would be very easy to follow. People who complain about some of the ingredients she uses (Laughing Cow cheese, artificial sweeteners, egg substitutes, etc.) don't understand her at all. The whole thing with Hungry Girl is good tasting, large volume/reduced calorie foods. The ingredients you don't like, or go against your thoughts of healthy, can be replaced with other stuff (egg whites for egg substitute, honey or sugar for artificial sweeteners, cream cheese for the Laughing Cow cheeses) but you need to take into account the extra calories. Her high volume foods are tasty, easy, and make dieting much more fun.

2.0 out of 5 stars HGD, June 20, 2014
I chose this book because I have tried her recipes in the past. However since having gastric bypass I can't consume large volumes so the amounts were too much for me. I only did the firsts week and found the taste on most of the meals bland since I don't like spicy. The breakfasts were great but lunch and dinner were so so. I probably didn't use as much spices either so that may be the issue. Overall the. volume did fill me but at times difficult to eat because of the taste. I didn't continue and the other weeks meals might have been better. I may try again with other week's meals. I was surprised with the weight I did lose eating so much food.

The Hungry Girl Diet: Big Portions. Big Results. Drop 10 Pounds in 4 Weeks