The Hunters: Brotherband Chronicles, Book 3
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:$14.70 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on November 11, 2012
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
This book was a fabulous ending to the tale of the herons. It had me hooked for a whole hour and a half during the time it took me to finish the book; I was also always on my toes while reading this book. I hope maybe a sub-sequel may come out so I could find out about the life of Hal and Co. after the recovering of the Adomal. I recommend this book for all brotherband or ranger apprentice lovers!
on November 19, 2012
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I have read through all of the Rangers Apprentice books and now all of the Brotherand Chronicles books as well. John Flanagan has a great way of developing the characters and the story so that you become emotionally invested in them both. If you're interested in this book you've probably already book 1 and 2 and already have a interest or need to know what becomes of our brotherband. I couldn't wait to see how they were going to finish the story and if they would make it home myself, and I was not disappointed. Without giving anything away, the group gets stronger, closer and ultimately in this coming of age tale, they all become the men they are supposed to be. Flanagan's books are just fun reads and I definitely recommend this, but only after you read the 1st two.
on August 27, 2014
Format: Hardcover
The Hunters (2012) is the third Fantasy novel in the Brotherband series, following The Invaders. The initial volume in this sequence is The Outcasts.

In the previous volume, the Heron crew was looking for the Raven, but the weather has pushed them south. For ten days they had been running before the wind and bailing water out of the ship. Finally, Hal looked for a place to shelter from the storm.

Hal took the Heron into a smaller sheltered body of water that he named Shelter Bay. After beaching the ship, the crew slept onboard. The next day, they built a shelter as they were taught in training and rested for a day or so. Then they goet bored.

Hal discussed the problem with Thorn and then set a schedule of duties and training. Thorn was appointed training master and the boys soon found out that he knews his stuff. Eventually Hal convinced Thorn to let him tell the boys about his three years in a row tenure as the Maktig.

Thorn first resumed their exercises. The crew discovered that certain muscles hadn't been used much on the ship. Jesper discovered that Thorn could still move fast.

In this novel, Hal Mikkelson is the son of a Skandian father and an Araluen mother. He is very intelligent and good with his hands. He invented a new type of sail plan and then built the Heron with some help from his friends. Now he is skirl -- captain -- and owner of the Heron.

Karina Mikkelswife is Hal's mother. Her husband had died on a raid in Iberia. For the past few years, she has been running an eating house to keep her son and herself alive.

Thorn was a shipmate of Mikkel. After Mikkel's death, Thorn had lost his right forearm in tangled rigging. Without his right hand, Thorn could not use an axe or any other weapon, but Hal devised a wooden hand for him that could hold a shield. Now he is sailing on the Heron as a trainer and advisor.

Stig Olafson was Hal's only friend. Hal had saved Stig from drowning in a nearby cove. Now they are close friends. Stig helped build the Heron and is now the first mate on the ship.

Ulf and Wulf are identical twins. They like to swap names to confuse others.

Ingvar is a very large boy, but he is nearsighted and clumsy. Yet he is very strong and is rather intelligent.

Jesper and Stefan raise the yardarms for the sails. Jesper is a reformed thief and lockpicker. Stefan usually anchors the ship on beaches.

Edvin is the smallest in the crew, but is the cook and medic. He may be the smartest boy in the crew.

Lydia is a girl who likes weapons and hunting. She was saved by the Heron crew and is now one of the Heron crew.

Zavac is a Magyaran pirate and captain of the Raven. He had stolen the Andomal from Hallasholm and Hal's band got the blame.

Rikard was the first mate on the Stingray. He was a Magyaran pirate until captured by the Heron crew.

In this story, the Heron is once more chasing the Raven. Zavac had escaped from Limmat and sailed away. Rikard told the Heron crew that Zavac was sailing to the pirate haven at Raguza. Now Rikard is kept tied to the mast until his information is confirmed.

Ingvar was shot with an arrow during the battle in Limmat. Edvin cleaned and bandaged his wound. Now he is now running a fever and getting worse.

Edvin tells Hal that the voyage might be worsening Ingvar's condition. The swaying of the ship may be keeping Ingvar from getting sleep. Hal decides to beach the Heron for a few days to allow Ingvar to rest.

While they are camped on the beach, Rikard frees himself and runs into the dark forest. Lydia and Thorn go after him. Lydia follows his trail and shows Thorn the signs of his passage. They catch Rikard the next day.

Meanwhile, the crew try to bring down the fever in Ingvar. The only treatment that Edvin knows is damp clothes. When that doesn't seem to work, he remembers that easterners used willow bark to relieve the fever. Hal and Stig look for willow trees along a nearby creek.

The Heron sails on to the Dan river and upstream to the river port of Krall. There they find someone who has seen the Raven. Thorn gives Rikard three Limmatan nobles and sends him into the town.

The Heron crew prepare to leave, but a guard insists that they stay. The town council has decreed that no ship leave after dark. They reluctantly wait for dawn.

This tale brings bad news to the Heron before morning. Rikard has been killed and the town guard suspects Thorn of killing him. They are delayed while the dock guards are brought in to describe their observations of the ship.

One of Zavac's officers was in town and takes word of the Heron to him. Zavac bribes the local tyrant to arrest the Heron crew. They find guards waiting for them at the toll house.

Hal and crew have more adventures on the Don. The next installment in this sequence is Slaves of Socorro.

Highly recommended for Flanagan fans and for anyone else who enjoys tales of naval combat, young sailors, and lots of action. Read and enjoy!

-Arthur W. Jordin
on November 9, 2012
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
This was one of the best John Flanagan book I have read. I struggled to put it down (well I didn't actually.....) as I had to find out how things worked out. As a 30+ yr old woman I am hardly the target demographic but my whole family loves these books - including granddad at 65 and son at 16.
on November 3, 2012
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
Flanagan has done another marvelous job with a fun and imaginative story. I look forward to the next installment of the Brother band Chronicles.
on November 22, 2012
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
If you like it's predecessors or the Rangers Apprentice series, you will not be disappointed. I wonder if the boys (and Lydia) will ever run into Will, Halt, Horace, Alyss or Evanlyn.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 24, 2012
Format: Hardcover
Third in the Brotherband Chronicles urban fantasy series for young adults. It is an offshoot from Flanagan's Ranger Apprentice series.

My Take
This was great! Again. I haven't yet read a bad book from John Flanagan. And it keeps amazing me that we're only three books into the series. I feel as though I know the characters so well and been on so many adventures with them, that there must be more than just three books!??

I do love how Flanagan creates such a positive role model with the crew of the Heron and how inventive they all are. I particularly enjoyed the shock various adults received when they realized that Hal was the actual captain of the Heron!

"Must admit, I had a few sleepless moments."

Thorn raised an eyebrow. "Only a few?"

"Two, actually. One lasted for the first two days. The other for the next two."

Oh, the knitting! I love it. From ridicule to begging as the boys discover the benefits of Edvin's labors. I do feel a degree of skepticism about the effects of the willow bark, but I also appreciate the idea behind Flanagan including it. A nice bit of medicinal lore. Hee-hee-hee, Zavac has hoist himself with his own petard! I love it. Oh, then there's the duel. Oh, yeah!

It takes teamwork and trust for the boys to get as far as they do; a bond they began building at the beginning in The Outcasts: Brotherband Chronicles, #1.

It's adventure without horror and lots of laughter to be had at the expense of the opposition.

The Story
With Rikard's help, the Heron follows the Raven to the Dan River. Unfortunately for them, Zavac has left a man behind to pick up an order of rope. And Vargas thinks quickly and acts even quicker, setting all sorts of traps for the boys.

A corrupt mayor who jails them and thinks to steal their ship while planning to enslave Lydia. A whitewater raceway no ship can sail. A pirate haven they cannot enter.

The Characters
Hal leads this merry band of teens as their skirl. The rest of the runaway crew includes Stig, who is Hal's second-in-command; Stefan; Edvin is their medic and crew cook (Hal intends to train him in steering); Jesper is skilled at thieving and sneaking about; Ingvar is terribly nearsighted and was badly wounded; and, Ulf and Wulf are the argumentative twins who excel at handling the sails. Lydia Demarek is the girl they took on board after the battle in The Invaders: Brotherband Chronicles, #2. She's quite skilled with her chosen weapons and tracking ability...as Thorn is forced to admit! Old Thorn may be crippled without a hand, but he has more than made up for it. His knowledge and skills don't require a hand. Besides, Hal's inventive skills creates all sorts of specialized tools.

Erak is Oberjarl of the Skandians; Svengal is his old friend; and, Karina is Hal's mother. Tursgud is the former leader of the Sharks brotherband.

Rickard is the Magyaran pirate Thorn captured in The Invaders: Brotherband Chronicles, #2. Vargas is one of Zacar's men, who stayed behind to pick up an order of rope. He hasn't any conscience and is quite tricky. Zacar is the captain of the Raven, and the thief who stole the Andomal that the boys were supposed to be guarding. It's a matter of honor now. The boys have to retrieve it if they ever want to go home.

The Gatmeister is the mayor of Bayrath and Doutro is quite willing to do anything if he's paid enough. Pedr is a fellow inmate, jailed for winning from Doutro. Dana is Doutro's cook; Milo is the senior servant; Erlic is the idiot they set to guard Lydia. Mihaly is the Korpaljo of the the pirate haven of Raguza. A former pirate himself, he knows all their tricks and doesn't tolerate betrayal.

Mannoc is the skipper of the Seahawk, which is guarding a trader convoy. Algon, Freyth, and Crenna are the trader captains.

The Cover
The cover is awash in a churning sea as, I'm assuming, Hal braces himself on the deck of his ship with one knee raised while taking aim with a crossbow. It's all blue-green seas, the brown of the ship and the wooden arch overhead as well as the brown leathers in which Hal is wrapped. Except for the watch cap on his head, Edvin's work. I'd've been more impressed if the cover artist had Hal getting ready to shoot the Mangler, though.

The title is what this series has been about so far: The Hunters tracking down Zavac and his Raven.
on September 2, 2014
Format: Paperback
Amazing author, amazing characters, amazing story plot, amazing everything. I love this book! It was fabulous. The next ones are also good. I strongly suggest it to any reader
on November 29, 2012
Format: Hardcover
While waiting for this book to become available at my library I decided to do a read through of the Ranger's Apprentice series. I had made it through book 8 when this book become available. Leaving the story of Will and his friends to return to the story of Hal and his crew, I realized that although I did not enjoy the Brotherband Chronicles as much as I enjoyed the stories associated with Ranger's apprentice they are still fantastic stories that I would not hesitate to recommend to anyone. This book is very comparable to the other two stories in the trilogy in pacing and length and is equally well written. If you like the previous two books, you'll enjoy this one as well. I was planning on only giving the book four stars but as I though back on the book I realized how much I had enjoyed this one and how much the different characters in the book had made me smile. When I finished, I went searching to see if there was any hope of a fourth book (which sadly, there does not appear to be). I will miss the crew of the Heron.
on August 4, 2013
Format: Hardcover
In book three of this series, Hal and his Brotherband is chasing after Zavac, a pirate and thief of the prized Andomal that was stolen while the Brotherhood was supposed to be guarding it. Some fights can only be won by doing what needs to be done yourself. Hal decides to take matters into his own hands and take on Zavac alone. Do you think he will get the relic back and win?

"Then what you need is exercise, my boy. Lots of it. That'll build you up. Now let's see how high you can jump. All of you!"

I read the first few "Ranger's Apprentice" books so I just knew this book was going to be good. The covers on both book series make you want to pick them up and read them even if you have never heard of them before. There are so many adventures in this book. From wild chases to a scary trip down the wild rapids, I know it left me on edge and so will you.

Review by my daughter Avery, Age 8 for City Book Review & Musing with Crayolakym