5.0 out of 5 stars What, no Zombies?
Published on March 1, 2012 by Richard Pearce

3.0 out of 5 stars Different from Wool
I love Wool Omnibus and First Legacy and wanted more from Hugh Howey. Unfortunately I was disappointed.

The "jaw-dropping plot developments, deep concepts, and one kickass storyline" that I love from the Wool series was missing. Most of the events were predictable and the book felt at times like a documentation.
Published on May 5, 2012 by Jimmy

5.0 out of 5 stars What, no Zombies?, March 1, 2012
This review is from: The Hurricane (Kindle Edition)
Hugh Howey, you glorious bastard. I just finished reading The Hurricane and I cannot believe I was that enthralled by a story that did not involve space ships, zombies or subterranean societies. I was captivated by Daniel's journey from his connected solitude to discovering that first and deepest human connection in the silence after the storm. I love the way you immersed me in the scene and made me feel the wind and hear the incidental background noises. Yet, somehow, the sentences never feel drawn out or too wordy. That is a rare talent and I'm glad you let us share in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hurricane will suck you in., October 25, 2011
This review is from: The Hurricane (Paperback)
I'm a huge fan of Howey's writing and this book just adds to my already deep love of this writer's work.

Daniel is a young man in his own little world of facebook and his phone and his few meager friends at high school. Life is kind of square and boring for Daniel who never really seems to fit in. During a Category 5 Hurricane, which devastates his neighborhood, Daniel meets new people and learns some wonderful things about himself and his family.

I love the book and how Howey is almost poetic with his descriptions of the Hurricane's aftermath. It made me feel like I was experiencing the wrath of the storm just as Daniel and his family were. It was definitely a quick read. I got so involved with Daniel and his family I had to know what the heck was going to happen next.

The book held a wonderful statement for me, for all of us who get caught up in our own little worlds. Put down your electronics. Dig yourself out of you and say hello to your neighbors. Like Daniel, you'll never know what you'll find down the street.

Great little book with a big story. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Yay, February 6, 2012
This review is from: The Hurricane (Kindle Edition)
I loved this story, short, to the point and just brilliantly written, for moments during my real life I expected to look up and find a fallen tree before instantly snapping back to reality and realizing that I live in Australia and in a place not prone to hurricanes and/or tornados... But yeah, having read Wool 1 before this and just finished plagiarist, this is still the best one so far... But only marginally...

Next stop, half way home... Then the rest of wool then finally Molly Fyde.

One thing is for sure, out of the thousands of books, E or real, that I have read in my 27 years on this planet, no writer has even kept my attention through multiple different stories as Hugh Howey has.

And, like a lot of people with Mr. Howeys works, this is my very first review as I thought this story was just THAT good... Hope you write more of these style of stories, you know, life of a teen style, I dunno why, maybe my teenage years weren't exciting enough and I just want to live though the power of words those years... Or something like that...

Tl;Dr

The story was perfect, captured my imagination for word one and literally made me feel like I was there... Excelent work!

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant Howey Fan, February 19, 2012
This review is from: The Hurricane (Kindle Edition)
First off, big congratulations to AMAZON's engine for referring a Hugh Howey book my way. This is definately a huge plus to KINDLE owners to discover new authors. All that said, this was the third of the Howey stories for me to read and the first for me to figure out how to leave a review. I was instantly in the head of the main character and enjoyed the developements of his family through a tough event. After I was halfway through the story a strange fear developed in me that there would be a twist of fate that was going to rattle my bones which after having the wool pulled over my eyes in WOOL i felt was a great possibility. Needless to say I was tickled with the very organic redemption of Daniel's father and how Daniel found his own way as an awkward yound adult. The empathy i could feel for the various character's amazed me in that they were developed so well I was amazed I felt for them all in the ways that i did. Thank you AMAZON and Hugh for bringing all these stories my way.
This will be as highly recomended a Hugh Howey story as Wool and Halfway Home and all for very different reasons.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read!, May 31, 2011
This review is from: The Hurricane (Kindle Edition)
I started The Hurricane on Memorial Weekend. It was so good I finished it in 1 day! I really enjoyed reading it and even carried my Kindle to a family cookout and read right on. Purchase this book and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book!, September 8, 2012
This review is from: The Hurricane (Kindle Edition)
I loved this story and its moment-to-moment description of what it's like o be in a
hurricane, from the Zen-like quality of finding a peaceful calm in the eye of the
hurricane, to family and neighbors coming together in crisis, aquiring new respect
for their abilities, and connecting with others outside the digital world.

Howey's writing is clean and efficient, and the story is so real that it inspired
me to put together an emergency kit, including a solar-powered radio, which I've
intended to do for years.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Smooth and Relatable Coming-of-Age Story, May 23, 2012
This review is from: The Hurricane (Kindle Edition)
This was a really enjoyable read. I suggest reading it during a summer thunderstorm.

I have read Howey's Wool series and loved it so I figured I would give this a try. The plots and subject matter are very different, but Howey's writing is just as good. I never would have thought I could really enjoy a teenage coming-of-age story with a pretty simple plot. But I did, and I think that happened because this story is really easy to connect to. It describes those times when 'day-to-day' living is totally interrupted and we are forced into a situation that allows us to gain a different perspective on life and forge new relationships with old friends.

I also found this book an interesting read because it deals with the issue of "connected isolation" that has become so common with the current infatuation with cell phones, facebook, texting, social media etc. This book really makes you think about whether it would be better for all of us if we had, say.. just a few really close friends as opposed to several hundred facebook 'friends.'

5.0 out of 5 stars I am in awe, July 12, 2012
This review is from: The Hurricane (Kindle Edition)
I don't know how to explain my utter shock at this book. Never have I been so enthralled with a book that contained absolutely no "action".
No guns, no violence, no sci-fi, no hero or villain.

It was an amazing and unique book which I must say "my hat's off to you"

I had read the high-paced flat-out action of the Molly Fyde series and then this...the to bring the characters to life is unparalleled here...but having two such different books, yet both amazing and entertaining as hell is quite a feat.

Definitely I recommend this!

3.0 out of 5 stars Different from Wool, May 5, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Life, April 1, 2012
Deb Robbins (South Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hurricane (Kindle Edition)
Hugh Howey writes real life in this great book. His description of experiencing a hurricane is entirely accurate and wonderfully written. The storm's aftermath is portrayed just as well - not at all exaggerated, even understated some. I've been there and got the t-shirt - in real life. The story told is right on the mark.

Real life is also what happens to the main character, Daniel, when nature intervenes and sweeps the digital world away. It's easy to identify with his self-confidence issues; we were all teenagers once. His story is one of connecting with people instead of electronics, getting to know his family and neighbors, and learning to do things he didn't know he could.

I was delighted with this book, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great writing, Hugh. Thanks!

The Hurricane
The Hurricane by Hugh Howey (Paperback - May 9, 2011)
$13.95 $12.56