5.0 out of 5 stars The best debut album and the greatest album of all-time!
Hi, I am from India.
Published on October 20, 2003 by Ajit Menon

3.0 out of 5 stars Love this album
Love this album. The blu-ray pure audio is good, but seems missing a lot of low end compared to say Breakfast in America
Published 28 days ago by HiFiGuy

5.0 out of 5 stars The best debut album and the greatest album of all-time!, October 20, 2003
Ajit Menon (Bombay, India) - See all my reviews
Hi, I am from India.
Words fail to clearly express the sheer beauty and impact of the album, "The Hurting". This album is a must for anyone who really loves music with a lot of substance and adventure. TEARS FOR FEARS is my all-time favourite band. Also, I personally feel, in many respects, TEARS FOR FEARS is the only perfect band in the whole world. If you don't believe me, just listen to this debut album of TEARS FOR FEARS.
Each and every track is a classic in its own way. Here is my review of each and every track:
1) The Hurting: Title track that gives a glimpse of how thoughtful this band actually is. This one track should prove that Curt Smith and Roland Orzabal are people with genuine insight and that by no means are they negative. How about lines such as:
"Get in line with the things you know.
Feel the pain, feel the sorrow
Touch the hurt and don't let go, don't let go
Get in line with the things you know
Lean to cry like a baby
Then the hurting won't come back, they won't come back, won't come back"
The echoing guitars perfectly fit the mood and are a treat for the ears. Both Curt and Roland sing this song.
2) Mad World: Moody and reflective song. The song is not negative. It is about the current situation of people living their lives without any morals or values. It is a call for doing something to improve the terrible situation. The song sounds very much relevant and fresh to this day.
3) Pale Shelter: The song is about the lack of love in the lives of children due to inaccessible parents. Fine blend of acoustics and electronics. The Spanish guitar strumming is amazing!
4) Ideas as Opiates: This song is as good as its title. Slightly difficult to understand when I heard for the first time. From what I perceive, it is about those people who mislead the general public with their opinions and who don't actually care about the good-will of the society. The saxophone work is incredible.
5) Memories Fade: Totally blown off when I heard it for the first time. Incredible keyboard, guitar and saxophone arrangements. You can sense the actual mood from Roland's singing and the lively instrumentation.
6) Suffer the Children: The first song recorded and released by TEARS FOR FEARS. Like Pale Shelter, a very thoughtful song about children who don't get proper attention and love during their growing years. Nice pop song.
7) Watch Me Bleed: According to me, the second most philosophical track of the album. Once again, the song is not negative. Great pop-rock. Wonderful and sensible keyboard/guitar arrangement.
8) Change: Brilliant xylophone playing which goes round and round. Very good song!
9) The Prisoner: The most philosophical song of the entire album. The hammering gothic music perfectly fits the mood. The disturbing sound is a must for this track. It is worth contemplating about this track. How about lines such as:
"Here behind the wall
I feel so small
Feeling and not believing
Here anger is me
Love sets me free
Waiting but not relating"
These are the lines that speak of most of us humans, right? We have so many negative tendencies within us because of which we feel we are in a prison and that we are not really free. Once we realise that, we can try to free ourselves. The song is about all that.
10) Start of the Breakdown: The keyboard and percussion arrangements are simply brilliant because the song perfectly gives rise to the actual feeling of a breakdown situation.
11) The Way You Are: A non-album track, which appears on the remastered CD. Very unusual and up-tempo track. Very odd percussion arrangement, it actually reminds me of a percussion instrument called "Chenda". Artists associated with temples or Kathakali in Kerala, South India, play chendas.
There are also lovely re-mixed versions of "Pale Shelter", "Mad World" and "Change".
That's all, folks. Above all, just as the name suggests, TEARS FOR FEARS is a band with a positive attitude. Their music really cannot be categorised. Most of their records are genuinely good, timeless and relevant. Buy this album, enjoy and feel every moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds Awesome Remastered Includes Way You Are, November 3, 2004
This review is from: The Hurting [UK Bonus Tracks] (Audio CD)
The Hurting is a really deep album that tackles serious topics. Some of the songs are haunting "The Hurting," "Memories Fade," "Mad World" (which includes the lyric "The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I ever had), and "Pale Shelter" to name a few. Yeah, it's heavy stuff but it sounds so darn good, especially the remastered version. Tears for Fears hits a home run with making pop music that stands the test of time because these songs sounds as good as they did twenty years ago. This album also includes the song "Way You Are." I had heard this song in the 80's and saw it appear on several compilation albums in the 90's but couldn't place where the song came from since it did not appear on the original version of "The Hurting" or it's successor "Songs From The Big Chair." The song is here and the mysetery is explained in the included booklet, the song was recorded in between the first and the second album. The extended versions of the songs aren't that different than the original versions but it is a great bonus to hear the biggest hits from the album "Pale Shelter," "Way You Are," "Mad World," and "Change" back to back.

5.0 out of 5 stars By Far Their Best Ever Album Has Just Gotten Even Better!, April 10, 2006
This review is from: The Hurting [UK Bonus Tracks] (Audio CD)
This is creatively and musically the best album by TFF and may very well be one of the best ever albums. It also is one of the best remastered cds that I've ever heard as the sound quality is simply brilliant! Every track seems to have attained a new lease of life and sounds just as fresh as they did decades ago. "The Hurting" ranks among my top 5 ever albums and trust me, I have heard many, many albums.

I was very lucky to have spent my early teens growing up in the early to mid-80's when New Wave was in its pomp and when it seemed that virtually everything coming out of the UK from the Pop Music scene was original and different. TFF competed for the airwaves and for my Walkman against U2, Adam and the Ants, the Human League, Soft Cell, the Eurythmics, Ultravox, Howard Jones, Nik Kershaw, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, the Thompson Twins etc and they all had their own unique sound but it was this album by TFF that really hit home for me.

Having had a troubled childhood and upbringing, I felt that finally, someone understood the trauma and turmoil that I went through when I heard the lyrics to the tracks here. Roland's singing was so heartfelt and seemed to be expressing the pain and hurt that I felt in my soul that I couldn't express. Somehow, he was speaking to my soul, telling me it's okay, others have gone through your anguish. I can tell you that singing along with the tracks on this album is a great stress reliever too.

The lyrics to every track are so meaningful and the accompanying music is the perfect complement that helps the album achieve its goal of expressing the most tragic of suffering: the emotional and psychological suffering of children that is so often submerged and repressed by the sufferers who are not mature enough to understand or express them. This is so eloquently expressed in "Suffer the Children" and in my favourite "Start of the Breakdown". "Pale Shelter" is another great track describing how a child who needs love is given the equivalent of 'pale shelter' instead.

The bonus tracks are also a plus as they include the hard to find "The Way You Are" single as well as extended versions of "Pale Shelter", "Mad World" and "Change". Although not the most commercially successful of TFF's works, this is overall in terms of the songwriting as well as the cohesiveness and strength of the material is their best work by far.

Very, very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strongest album by TFF, December 16, 2000
This review is from: The Hurting (Audio CD)
This was their first release and my favorite. The 2nd album was completely radio friendly and they exploded onto the world scene, but I prefer the songs on this album. Pale Shelter is really good and I think the best song they ever recorded. The strange thing about the cover art is the original album had a photo of the two band members, but then the album had a different cover, with a child, on all subsequent reissues. I think Roland and Curt were unhappy about the photo and the image it presented.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gets Deeper As You Listen, September 30, 2004
This review is from: The Hurting [UK Bonus Tracks] (Audio CD)
Despite their attempt to move away from this style of music, The Hurting really is TFF's most intriguing album, and in my opinion their best. The stark bleakness of this entire project is what drew their core audience to them in the first place. And since this album, they and their audience have "matured". But this album touched a nerve with certain people; people who hear their feelings being spoken about in these memories-evoking compositions.

The original album cover features Roland & Kurt in full black Goth-type attire staring into the blank distance near a tranquil duck pond.

And then you listen to the music: sparse but melodic.

Then you hear the lyrics: deep and troubling.

Even if you never heard of these songs, you only need to read the song titles and you can tell right away that this is not about sunshine and lollipops. This is not about let's party, have sex, and rock n' roll.

This is about individuals who are dealing with disturbing issues, inner conflicts, and uncertainty.

Mad World, Start of the Breakdown, Watch Me Bleed, The Hurting...people have been living these lyrics forever.

TFF, Roland & Curt, these songs, they understand "us".

5.0 out of 5 stars Rediscovered Timeless Music, April 7, 2001
"ajlep" (Watkinsville, Georgia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hurting [UK Bonus Tracks] (Audio CD)
I had the vinyl version of this album and lamented not being able to listen to it (turntable deceased!). One of the most powerful albums ever made. Roland's writing and singing is raw and emotional. Curt brings just as much to the table on the songs that he sings (all songs written by Roland). If you liked "Songs From The Big Chair," you will be more than suprised by "The Hurting" (Tears For Fears' first offering). I liken this debut work to the first LP from U2, "Boy." There is so much unrefined talent that to polish the sound would be to do a disservice to the works. I remember hearing Tears For Fears on "The King Biscuit Flower Hour" just after this LP was released. I was mesmerized by their sound (even live!). It's a shame that they did not produce many more works similar to their first two LPs and eventually broke up (creative differences). At least we have this Gem to remind us how great a "young and hungry" group of musicians can truly be!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressive Blu Ray Audio, February 1, 2014
Xymoxis (Southwest, USA) - See all my reviews
Just got this pure audio blu ray version from a Canadian outfit on ebay for $16. Well worth it. The clarity in DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 is just amazing on some tracks (Memories Fade & Watch Me Bleed). I renamed Watch Me Bleed to Watch My Ears Bleed. Be aware that this is not 5.1, just 2.0. For those who have a mediocre system, it might not make much of a difference. But, if you have high-end equipment, you can really hear and FEEL the quality of this blu ray recording. Get it!

Some critics in the market place are calling sacd, dts audio, dvd audio, and now blu ray audio - marketing ploys. They are wrong. These idiots have not a clue and are basing there opinions on pre-conceived biases without having, or hearing systems that truly turn these 24 bit/94khz recordings into audio bliss. Just my subjective opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars even for non-fans, a great album, May 22, 2003
C. L. White (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hurting [UK Bonus Tracks] (Audio CD)
There are a lot of people who write reviews of this disc because they are tears for fears fans. But I'm not. 'Head Over Heels' and 'Everybody Wants to Rule the World,' are the only songs after this album that even hint at the brilliance of this record for me.
The Hurting is great not just as a time capsule of the '80s - popular psychology's new wave musical moment. Each of these songs is an innovative pop wingding that showers the ears with perfect sound and exhilarating craftsmanship. I don't have the remastered version, but it would be a shame to tamper with these songs, because each of them (I have them on vinyl and on CD) is perfect just the way it is.
More than just a nostalgia piece for those who lived through the era (I heard many of the songs for the first time in 2000), this is one of the great overlooked pop records, sure to be canonized by loquacious music critics in the very near future.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is their best work, March 25, 2000
David Jarnagin (Albuquerque, NM USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hurting (Audio CD)
"The Hurting" is an appropriate title given the tone of each song on this album, but it is pleasure that you will find by listening to it.
This is, song for song, one of the best albums from the '80's.
Perhaps you have heard "Songs From The Big Chair" and have wondered about their earlier work? Forget about a "Greatest Hits" or any Tears For Fears compilation, this is the album you must have in your library.
You want an album that can be played from start to finish without skipping songs? You want this work from Tears From Fears. It is their best.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best albums from 1983., August 24, 2002
This review is from: The Hurting (Audio CD)
Tears For Fears were and still are an incredible band that few others can rival.
The edition I'm reviewing is the older edition without the bonus tracks.
The Hurting, released in 1983 is TFFs debut album that unfortunately is overshadowed by it's follow-up 1985s Songs From The Big Chair. The Hurting is lighter musically but lyrically it's probably the darkest album of all of their 80s releases. My favorite songs are Change, the title track & Start Of The Breakdown. The lyrical prowess is strong especially with Mad World & and the doomsday like Start Of The Breakdown. This track is my favorite song from this often underrated LP. Just the electric electrifying guitar at the beginning of the opening title track proves that TFFstood out well from other bands from the early 80s and now almost 20 years after it's release The Hurting still stands out well from most other LPs that were released the same year. The last track Start Of The Breakdown was pretty far ahead of it's time and coul almost fit on the Big Chair LP.
The remastered edition has four bonus tracks. Two are extended remixes, Mad World (world remix)is the original with an altered beat. and one is an extended version of the B-Side The Way You Are. The best of them is the extended version of the intimate Change which is extended to about 6 minutes.
As I listened to Start Of The Breakdown I've noticed that two other songs share similar chord structures with this one. One is Always In The Past, a B-Side from the Seeds Of Love sessions and the other is Hypnoculture from Rolands solo album Tomcats Screaming Outside. No offense to any of these songs. I just simply noticed similar chord structures between these three songs, that's all.
The Hurting is a must own.

The Hurting [UK Bonus Tracks]
The Hurting [UK Bonus Tracks] by Tears For Fears (Audio CD - 2001)
Rate and Discover Movies