5.0 out of 5 stars Required reading!!!! Required owning
Published on November 8, 2003 by Edmund Zebrowski

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of detail
This is more of a reference work than a story. If you're interested in catalog info, it's fine. If you're interested in the story of ILM you'll be disappointed.
Published on December 16, 2008 by David W. Piehl

5.0 out of 5 stars Required reading!!!! Required owning, November 8, 2003
Edmund Zebrowski (West Dundee, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The I Love a Mystery Companion (Paperback)
I was able to get a copy of this book early and I must say that it one of the best, most informative books on a radio show I have ever had the pleasure to read. It goes over so much of the behind the scenes and making of the show that one can not help but feel like an expert on the subject once done. The author also helps to snuff out a lot of the fan rumors that have always surrounded the show in the past. The back 2/3 of the book is dedicated to an episode-by-episode guide to the series. For most other series I find this kind of redundant .I mean why do I need to buy a book to read the plot of a show that I already own, but I Love A Mystery is not like other series. You probably already know this if you're a fan, but if you're not then let me give you a bit of history and a shock. I Love A Mystery was a popular "blood and thunder" type action adventure show on radio during the 1940's and 50's. It was written by one of the most prolific and respected radio writers of all time. It at times was very controversial (The Temple of Vampires), and all the time was very entertaining. It even was made into a series of B-movies. Almost 1500 episodes were aired in the double run. Here's the shocker. Less then 200 exist in complete form. It's sad really. So the fact that we have an episode-by-episode guide, not a story by story one is an amazing thing for us fans. The Morse estate keeps a strangle hold on the circulation of the original scripts, so for most of us this is the only way to know what the heck went on after chapter 11 of "The Pirate Loot of the Island of Skulls." We also can now pinpoint where that one fragment of "The Tropics Don't' Call It Murder " REALLY goes. As if a full creation and broadcast history and episode guide were not enough. We also get a lot of info on the other Morse series like "I Love Adventure", "Adventures by Morse", "House of Myth" and others. Martin Grams, Jr has given us fans simply one of the best books ever about one of the greatest shows ever. Standing ovation to you sir!

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for the ILAM fan!, January 14, 2004
This review is from: The I Love a Mystery Companion (Paperback)
I must say that I was very pleasantly shocked and surpirsed when I saw this book was available, and I immediately placed an order for a copy.
Upon receiving it, I was not disappointed. The book gives a very thorough and complete history of one of the greatest radio programs of all time: I Love a Mystery.
The book is not without its flaws. It seems that little time was spent in proofreading, because enjoyment of the book is marred by many typographical errors. While these are easy to spot, and usually of a very minor nature, sometimes they are downright confusing. In one instance, paragraphs were placed out of order.
Also, the book suffers from a lack of organization. While the general history seems to run in a chronological fashion, sections titled "Continuity Problems" or "Writing the Scripts" are peppered throughout, making their placement in the middle of program synopses confusing.
Please do not be discouraged by these errors. This is a very fine and informative book; Martin Grams should be commended for his excellent research and presentation of material that has been awaited by ILAM fans for half a century. Let us hope that these errors (especially the typographical ones) will be corrected in future editions of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars What an enjoyable read!, February 8, 2004
This review is from: The I Love a Mystery Companion (Paperback)
Even if you are not a fan of the radio program "I Love A Mystery" or "I Love Adventure" or "Adventures by Morse," this book is an enjoyable read. I learned a lot of new things about this book, including the facts that Morse did not write all of the serials, Morse incorporated religion into his mystery thrillers and Morse did not stay a rich man long after his radio program ended. Each adventure is documented in great detail. Analysis, history and documentary approach and also in an enjoyable format. The book pauses in the continuity on ocassion to explore aspects of the serials including character development and style of writing Morse used on his thrillers.
The book also covers Morse's other radio thrillers such as "The Cross Eyed Parrot," "The Witch of Endor" and "Pigskin Romances." A wealth of information and I recommend it. I will give readers a warning in advance. Once you start reading this book you will not be able to put it down and after you are done reading this book you will be "really" wishing that the "lost" recordings were made available if they do exist.

5.0 out of 5 stars ILAM, May 31, 2007
This review is from: The I Love a Mystery Companion (Paperback)
If you are a fan of OTR and ILAM in particular this book is essential. Loved every moment reading it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Now/Again, July 11, 2012
This review is from: The I Love a Mystery Companion (Paperback)
This book is a journey for those of you who had the good fortune as a young listener to relive the great adventures of a mottley crew of detectives who ventured to some very unlikely places. One week a South American temple in the jungle with their own vampires or a story of a magican who turns his aid into a wolf;adventures are spelled out in detail. This paper wonderland is an accumulation of all the shows and stars broadcast over the life of the show.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of detail, December 16, 2008

The I Love a Mystery Companion
The I Love a Mystery Companion by Martin Grams (Paperback - Oct. 2003)
Used & New from: $15.95