Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on November 28, 1997
This book is a tremendous recap of The Ice Bowl and the game's participants. Tons of interviews, plenty of graphics and photos, and a great sportwriter to pull it all together. It's obvious Gruver loves the subject matter. As a lifelong Packers fan, I found this to be a fantastic book -- and so did my Dad, another lifelong Packers fan. Highly recommended!
on January 16, 2000
A wonderful book. Ed Gruver recaps this game with thirty years of perspective, and he does it right. It's well written, with comprehensive background information and game detail. The appendix has all the pertinent statistics you could want, including a play-by-play compilation.
Gruver is not biased toward the Packers. He pays richly deserved respect to the Cowboy players and coaches. The Cowboys were a "warm weather" team that might have been expected to fold their tent when faced with the severe cold, but, like the Packers, they gave everything they had on that day.
I don't see much to criticize in this book. Maybe Phil Bengtson's family would like to have seen his name spelled correctly. I'd prefer to see more discussion of the historical significance of the game, but Gruver probably thinks of himself as a reporter and not as a historian.
Not being bound by such modesty, I'll do it for him.
The greatest games in modern NFL history are:
(5) 1998 Bronco-Packer Super Bowl. (4) 1982 49er-Cowboy NFC Title Game. (3) 1969 Jet-Colt Super Bowl. (2) 1958 Giant-Colt NFL Title Game. (1) The Ice Bowl.
An epic game should have three qualities: it should effectively decide a championship, it should be historically significant (usually by signifying a changing of the guard or a change in the way the game is played), and the game action should be unforgettable. The Ice Bowl combines these qualities better than any other game.
It marked an end to the dominance of the "old" NFL and provided a glimpse of the complex offensive and defensive schemes to come. It matched two of the five greatest coaches in NFL history. No game was more dramatic; the cold weather and frozen field gave it a sense of primeval struggle. I feel that the title "Greatest Game Ever" as applied to the '58 Championship Game has been inflated by the well-known power of eastern media. The Ice Bowl deserves that title.
on October 21, 2013
This is an interesting book about one of the most famous games in NFL history, the "Ice Bowl" game at Lambeau Field in Green Bay on New Year's Eve, 1967, between the Packers and the Dallas Cowboys. By the end of the game, the temperature was 20 below and the windchill was 50 below.

Though the second half of the book focuses mainly on the game itself, including the game-winning drive, the book goes way beyond that. Of particular interest were stories about the two coaches, Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry, and how they coached together for the NY Giants. Lombardi was considered the great offensive coach in the 1960s and Landry the best defensive coach. Also interesting was a discussion about how TV was just starting to impact the game.

Although I lived for a time in Green Bay, I'm too young to really remember the Ice Bowl, so, for me, this was a really interesting look at how football was played back then. I would definitely recommend this one!!
on February 6, 2002
The year 1997 marked the thirtieth anniversary of the 1967 NFL Championship game between the Packers and the Cowboys. Two book were published around that time. One was by Mike Shropshire and the other was by Ed Gruver. Of the two books, Gruver's is superior. It looks briefly at the coaches, the organizations, the seasons, and then devotes the lion's share of the book to the actual game. Especially helpful were the diagrams of key plays that occurred during the game. The book devotes a chapter to each quarter. In addition to the players and coaches, the author looks at the game from sportscasters and referees. The author also covers issues that Shropshire ignored. For example: was Jerry Kramer offsides on the winning TD and did Donny Anderson score on the previous play. The author also does a good job on covering the discussion of possible plays that could be called on the final play. The Shropshire book was not bad, but this one wins hands down.
on December 30, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this play by play review of the Ice Bowl. I also enjoyed the behind-the-scenes look at many of the players as well as the coaches. This is a book that I highly recommend, especially if you're a pro football fan of that era or a pro football fan in general. Like me, I think you'll find this account of the game to be very entertaining.
on September 11, 2014
The author sets up the game very well by providing the history of the coaches (they were assistants with the New York Giants in the 1950s) and recounting the development of both teams under the coaches. The story of the game is told through the eyewitness accounts of many who were there on both sides of the field, as well as a number of journalists. A very good read.
on January 20, 2016
I got so entranced with the detailed information about a game played by 2 of the greatest teams in NFL history. The Ice Bowl was played before I was born, but the writing of this is so detailed and accurate, that I felt as if I was in the stands and freezing cold weather, watching in real time. The more I read about Lombardi and Landry, the more I realized just how great they truly were. This is perfect for someone who wants to know everything about the most memorable football game in history!!
on March 31, 2001
THIS BOOK IS TRULY A GREAT READ. THE INTERVIEWS, PHOTOGRAPHS, AND RESEARCH IS REALLY EXCELLENT. THIS IS BOOK REALLY BRINGS BACK SOME MEMORIES. I WAS ACTUALLY COLD JUST THINKING ABOUT THE HARSH CONDITIONS OF THAT DAY OF SURVIVAL. WELL DESCRIBED AND A GREAT WAY TO LEARN ABOUT THIS LEGENDARY GAME. HATS OFF TO MR GRUVER, AND ALL ASSOCIATED WITH THIS MASTERPIECE.
on May 31, 2005
My uncle took me to the Dec 31,1967 NFL Championship game between the Cowboys and Packers, better known as the ice bowl. I was a high school senior. I have always remembered that it was -13 degrees with a 20 mph wind blowing into the open north end of the stadium. It wasn't until I read this book that I realized the wind chill by the end of the game was -56 degrees. Now I live in Texas where 100 degree summer days are the norm. On hot days I reread the book and watch the video. The Texas heat doesn't seem so bad.
on January 29, 2015
I really enjoyed reading this book. I like how all the side details are covered, along with interesting facts about the players and coaches of both teams. When I got to the chapter on The Drive, I couldn't put the book down.