Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Ice Cream Maker: An Inspiring Tale About Making Quality The Key Ingredient in Everything You Do
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on October 5, 2005
I'm sure that this book will get some very enthusiastic reviews (which I've already seen), as well as some reviews saying, essentially, "Where's the beef?" And, in the end, both are going to be right.

This book is 100 pages, double-spaced, and about the size of my outstretched hand. Obviously, it can't be a definitive textbook on how to make dramatic changes in the workplace. What it does (quite successfully in my opinion) is to open one's eyes, and inspire the reader to see where change is needed. Basically, it advocates the opinion that many US companies have focused on their own "bottom line", or on "making a splash", without actually going to the consumer, finding what their very BASIC needs are, and focusing on meeting the need. (A prime example from the book - a dealership, for the first time, gathered disgruntled former customers in a focus group. They asked the customers about all of the "perks" they offered - pickup/dropoff service, fancy keychains, donuts/coffee... and the customers all liked the changes. In exasperation, the owners asked why they didn't return -- and finally heard that they had brought their car to the dealership several times, and the car wasn't fixed.)

Of course, this book can't answer every question. For example, the primary "story" focuses on an ice cream company who needs to get their product into a "Natural Foods" chain - If the "target" was getting into Wal-Mart, would the definition of "quality" change? What do you do with employees who don't "catch the spirit" in light of employment law/unemployment insurance? However, it is a great inspirational piece - and I look forward to reading other books in order to answer those remaining questions.
on October 20, 2005
This is a story about a guy who doesn't really exist -- but he might be you. He's worried about his job. He thinks he understands why people buy from some companies and not from others. He's wrong.

Ice cream isn't really essential to the story. It's really about finding out what your customers want and then making sure you give it to them consistently so that they're never disappointed. But as metaphorical products go, ice cream is a lot more fun at a business meeting than throwing fish around or wondering where your cheese has gone.

While the author's message could have been put more simply without a tale about ice cream, the message still shines through. Just having the book on your shelf can remind you that every customer matters and every unit shipped matters. And it's even a pretty fast read.
on June 21, 2014
Every person needs to read this. It changes your whole way of thinking. Too many people try to just "get by" and settle. To do the bare minimum to pass. Well this book teaches you, through many stories, that life shouldn't be that way. It's all about passion. What's yours?
on November 18, 2014
I still fall for these "quickies". Many years ago I'd read "The Goal", "The one minute manager" and "Raving Fans", which I consider the best of this genre. If I read this before them perhaps I'd give it a 5 star.
on May 6, 2016
I LOVED THIS BOOK! It was so inspiring and motivating. It really made me see business in a different light. I am a social work major and we read it in a class. When I first was told I had to read this book I was puzzled because it was about business. The book really helped me look at leadership in a different way as well as just treating others in general. I would say this is a good read for anyone despite their major.
on October 4, 2005
Subir Chowdhury has done it again! This book will become a classic like "Fish!", "Who Moved My Cheese" and "The One Minute Manager". The timeless lessons in this book will take your quality to a new level by adopting the simple but powerful concept of LEO - Listen, Enrich and Optimize and these lessons can be applied to self, small business, large corporations, schools and even government. Quality truly is everyone's business.
on January 2, 2014
I remember reading this in college and it was great and such a quick read. I couldn't put it down when I came across it again I knew I had o add it to my digital library. Highly recommended to Engineers/Managers/Business Development
on October 11, 2015
An excellent parable that takes a boring concept like quality assurance and brings it to life. It shows what happens when every voice in an organization is heard and everyone is looking towards the same outcome.
on October 4, 2005
Buy this book. Absolutely, and without hesitation buy this book then set aside a block of two or three hours to read it. When you're done follow your natural inclination to pass it along to your co-workers, your subordinates, and your boss. This book packs a very powerful (read transformational) idea into an incredibly accessible little package. It should be dog-eared long before it comes to rest on your shelf.

In truth, the quality should come as no surprise when we consider that Mr. Chowdhury wrote the book that introduced most of us to Six Sigma. Still, this work far exceeded my expectations. I believe that it will exceed yours.
on November 9, 2005
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, though it took me but an hour and a half to read, I found it to be substantial and inspriational. This book almost tricks you into believing it is a simple "tale about making QUALITY the key ingredient in everything you do" but it is truly a very smart business guide.

I have to say, the last page seemed to end abruptly, but that's ok, it wasn't meant to leave you hanging.