Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on December 10, 2008
I'm an older music fan. I've lived thru the Classic Rock era, Prog Rock, Punk, New Wave, Pop, Glam, Hair Metal, Speed Metal, Reggae, etc. And I enjoy everything from Jazz to Black Metal. I've seen it all, boys and girls. And I have to tell all you fake, pseudo, poser, music reviewers, this is probably one of the worst eras for Rock music I've ever witnessed in my life. Most of the Metal and Rock has absolutely nothing to say! And no way to say it! There is almost no originality anymore. The bands all sound exactly the same. British Synth Pop, Death Metal, Post Metal, Metalcore, Mathcore, and yes, especially Nu-Metal. And songwriting? Forget it. It's gone the way of the dinosaur. No more Black Sabbath, Zeppelin, Robin Trower, or Bad Company. I can sample a 100 new Metal or Pop albums and I hear maybe one that sounds unique. No one will remember the bulk of these bands. I'll remember Staind.

"Hey, man. It's not cool to listen to Staind anymore. Dude, they've lost their edge." Afraid of what your friends might say? Maybe your friends are fools. So, to you music snobs that make it a hobby to bash this band because it's not the kind of music you enjoy, you wouldn't recognize a well crafted Rock song if it jumped up and bit you on the nipple. I fart in your general direction, sirs. It all sounds like sour grapes to me. You wish that they would continue recording in the style of their first two albums over and over, but you complain that they're recording the same album over and over. You wish you were making the kind of money that this band is making. (I know, I know, "It's not about the money. It's about the music." Yeah, that's what musicians say when they're not making any.) You only wish you could affect people with music the way that Aaron Lewis does. What a bunch of frustrated musicians and welps. You complain that all Aaron does is whine. Take a look in the mirror. If you're all so self-righteously happy in your musical proclivities, I have a Doris Day album you can have. Right now.

For my money, along with Travis Meeks from Days of The New, Aaron Lewis is probably one of THE greatest straight-up singer/songwriters I've heard in Music in the last twenty years. PERIOD! I know that's a bold statement, but I STAIND behind it. (Oooo, sorry.) I'm in my 40s, and the last time I broke up with a chick, I wasn't listening to a Frank Sinatra album, Radiohead, Tool, or Emperor's Anthems to The Welkin at Dusk. I was playing a Staind album. Me, I'll take Aaron Lewis and Staind when I'm feelin' down. Everytime.

How many artists can write a song about their daughters, and make it work? Do any Rock artists know how to just sing a simple song, anymore? Not many. Aaron Lewis' lyrics are tragic, sad, tender, cathartic, heartfelt, painful, and just downright beautiful. His words are full of alienation, hope, despair, love, longing, frustration, and life. All the things that are required for a songwriter to speak to this music fan.

I have to agree that these other bands are just copycatting this dreaded Nu-Metal style. Nickelback, Breaking Benjamin, Evans Blue, etc. (This sub-categorization of music is the dumbest part of Rock music to ever come down the pike. What a bunch of alienating nonsense, invented by music snobs with nothing better to do.) There is nothing wrong with enjoying different styles of music. As long as you can appreciate the best that a particular genre has to offer. Staind is THE best at what they do. They are original. Everything else is a pale imitation. The bands that progress beyond the limits of their nature and experiment too much, usually fold. If I like Staind, I wanna hear Staind. I'm pleased that I can count on Staind sounding like Aaron's cries in the night. So what if people call it Nu-Metal or Emo? For some, life is painful. For others, the world is on fire. "Bartender, I'll have a Xanax and a Red Bull." You never get depressed? Yeah, right. I bet you never get any chicks either. So what if the heavier edge is gone from their music? You should have figured that out by now, spendthrift. Aaron Lewis and Staind are mellowing. And maturing. (Yeah, I said it. Wanna fight? Anytime, music snobs. I'll run you over with my Harley.) And unlike the last Cannibal Corpse album, I can actually sing along with their music. Which just becomes more dignified with every album they put out.

Thanks, for gettin' me thru some tough times, Aaron. I dig your music, man. This is a f$%king GREAT album! Keep making goods ones. And I'll keep buying 'em.

As long as you turn it way up, this album is heavy enough, in all the right places. Constructed around Aaron's lyrics, this one definitely contains the softer, soulful side of their sound at times. Which I prefer, seeing as how I'm as old as Methuselah and all. When all is said and done, it's a beautiful mix. (Another music snob fallacy: If music has a commercial feel, it's worthless. An absolutely closed-minded and ludicrous viewpoint.) It would be apropos to take Staind out of the sticky morass of Nu-Metal and place them in the wide open field of Music. I see the album title as a tongue-in-cheek stab at critics that accuse them of making the same music over and over again. Or Aaron has discovered a hard truth about getting older: The more things change, the more they stay the same. Works either way. It moves me enough to give it Five Star status. Best Riff: Rainy Day Parade! Best Song: It's a TIE! Tangled Up In You! Wow! and Raining Again! If you APPRECIATE Staind, you don't want to miss this album. It's one of their BEST, and a worthy addition to their catalog.

Everyone that hates this band, your buddies just voted you out of the band, and your mom is yelling at you to clean up your room.

Everyone else,

ENJOY.
1818 comments|64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 12, 2011
You could consider my general opinion of Staind cd's love/hate. Most of their other releases (not counting Break The Cycle) have been half hits and half misses. I was excited to find that most of the songs on this album however carried real depth and likeability. There are still one or two that I could easily live without, but for the most part this is a stunningly beautiful release. Once in awhile this band will put out a rock anthem that makes you want to pump a fist (such as Mudshovel). But generally speaking, the real appeal of this band has been its electric ballads (such as So Far Away). And those electric ballads make up the bulk of this outing. Highly recommended if those are the types of songs which draw you to listen to Staind in the first place.
on July 31, 2013
The album is a little on the softer side but as I've grown older, my taste in music has seemed to mellow out somewhat so I do like the album but I still like the harder stuff better. I like Aaron Lewis' voice and the emotion he sings with so that is probably the main thing that draws me to Staind to begin with. It is a good album to add to your collection for sure especially if you can still get it for $3.99, I mean how can you go wrong with a $4 cd right?
on October 6, 2012
This is an excellent album from one of my favorite groups. Tangled Up In You is a wonderful ballad and all of the songs come from the heart. Amazon makes it so easy to download with their cloud player.
on May 25, 2014
this is to my notion the slickest set they have done it has all the elements of greatness it is sharp but doesn,t wound you like most of their stuff has a tendency to do it leaves you satisfied most of their stuff has such a hard edge that you need a rest period afterwards so this is a cool drink of water before one immerses oneself one more into the world staind
Having read several reviews of Staind's music, and seeing their concert from Massachusetts, and being a "radio fan" for years, I started to buy up all their music and become more and more of a fan the more I hear. Staind is quickly become one of my favorite bands.
Even Aaron Lewis' drift into country music sounds great. He has a good voice for it.
on August 23, 2008
The Illusion of Progress is a great new album ( as of Aug. 23, 2008 ) from one of my favorite bands, Staind. It probably won't satisfy fans that like the heavier Staind music, as most of the songs are a bit slower and on the softer side. But if you would like a Great softer introspective rock album with an edge, check this one out.
on August 1, 2014
I have been a long time Staind fan but late to buy this album. My life has been far different than most in that I have spent the last 10 years in the road traveling throughout Southeast Asia with my wife and 5 year old daughter (I am not a NGO employee or social worker). But I am extreme in almost every way and am not the usual halfway disciplined sort. This album captures a real part of who I am and thus, I relate deeply to it. One time after a few particularly rough nights out, my daughter came up to me and started playing the song "Tangled up in You". The moment between her and I was a galaxy deep and will be forever etched into my mind. The Corner is also a song that many of us can relate to. The whole album is very good, and is about as authentic as a songwriter can get without skinning himself alive. You can say Staind is good or bad, but you can never accuse them of not being sincere with their music.

Rick
on December 31, 2010
You whacky Nu-Metal critics. Like Unlucky Frank, I listen to it all. One day, in the mood for Helloween (love 7 Sinners), next day Crowded House (holy crap), REO the next (Yikes), Shinedown the next, lets not forget the Beatles. Whether it be Hinder, Seether, Saliva, etc., there are so manny single star "don't waste your money", "it's crap" etc. reviews.

A majority of these appear to be of two types. The bands new release deviates from the original formula. "What are these guys doing, writing ballads now?".
OR, "It all sounds the same, this is not real metal" and direct you to some metalcore band (most of that sounds the same too). Hey, the other day, I did enjoy As I Lay Dying's, An Ocean Between Us, great for hitting the heavy bag, and there is some real singing among all the angry growls).

Hey dudes, variety, IT'S A GOOD THING. And this Staind release has some, not to mention well written songs. So that makes it a 4 star instead of a 3 star, which I would assign to most of the bands putting out this sort of music out.
Generally, for what appears popular in this genre, it's competent musicians, and singers can be very good to average, compensated by production technology. So it all gets a 3 to occasional 4 star.
on August 26, 2008
For starters, if you purhcase this album, the fan version is a no brainer. 3 extra tracks (it's been a while, devil, and schizophrenic conversations, allacoustic live), and a 1 year membership to the staind fanclub (a 40 dollar value with a free t-shirt mailed to your door, and online exclusive content and pre-order deals). The schizophrenic conversations was previously a bonus track on their greatest hits, but the other two are new. If you still can get it, do it.
Now focusing on the music, it is still typical Staind, songs of relationships, faith in each other and human kind, but a little less focus on bad childhoods and rebellion. Tangled up in You, Believe, and Nothing Left to Say are all fine examples of classic staind tunes. Most of the songs are very melodic and could be those "stuck in your head" songs of the morning. It does take about 2 listens to start to appreciate the nuances of this album, but worth a purchase.
As another reviewer mentioned, this album is not as heavy as previous Staind albums, with more of an acoustic rougher mix than previous albums. If you want loud angry teen angst of nu-metal, get tormented or dysfunction. this is the next progressive step from Chapter V.