Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Illusion Of Progress
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on September 22, 2008
I've been a musician since I was 13, I am now 27. I can't play guitar anymore due to an accident. Let me make this a short as I can. I got hurt in 05, before that I was really into hardcore, like Atreyu, From Autumn To Ashes, Across Five Aprils, Poison The Well, stuff like that. I had a few years away from music. This was the first album I picked up after a few years, and it's a great album. The songwriting is literally astounding. It's not Dysfuntion, it's just a very good much softer album, I really, really liked it a lot.
on November 25, 2015
on August 30, 2014
Works great
on August 21, 2008
Everyone, STOP ANALIZING EVERY DAMN THING BANDS DO AND JUST LISTEN TO IT
every bands gotta change there sound, you know, mix it up a little, ie, LINKIN PARK, very different album( Mins to Midnight)but still good !,Every damn time a band puts more thought and feeling and less screaming, all there so called fans, jump ship, Whatever ! PUT A SOCK IN IT !! Buy Disturbed albums, Excedrin sold seperatly.
on August 27, 2008
First of all, I am SO tired of everyone ragging on Staind. Do you all expect the guys from Staind to write the same stuff for two decades or more? They have lives - Aaron went through so much turmoil, and he pulled through, came out with a wife & three kids. Not to mention, he is now a happy chappy & he's CLEARLY in love. What's not to celebrate about that? I grew up with Staind, while I was a rebel, depressed, angry kid. Now that I've grown up & also found love, I want to hear about the GOOD things in life, along with some of the bad stuff, too! They are DEFINITELY still Staind. They've still got the low-end going on, the perfectly put-together lyrics, melody & instrumentals, as well as the subtle tap-into-the-misery content Aaron always had. I must say, I was slightly disappointed when Staind said they'd bring out their heaviest disc ever, & then came out with "Believe", but a TRUE & ETERNALLY FAITHFUL Staind fan will support their music through all of their growing experiences. So when I bought the Limited Edition disc, I popped it in, listened beginning to end, & realized this is where they should be as a band. "Tangled Up In You", yes, is cheesy, but who wouldn't have a little Velveeta if they were so happy in love?

Look at the progress they've made from 1996. They're all growing, getting older, & writing what they feel. It's a masterpiece, not appreciated in its own time. You guys want to whine about their apparent "lack of ROCK", just remember that Staind will NEVER be all the other pansy-bummed "rock" bands you all think are better.

As good old Mr. Lewis would say (actually, I believe he SCREAMED it. YES, on CHAPTER V, their LAST album), "In time, you will regret it / Say goodbye to all the things you've gotten used to / Life will find a way to bring this karma to you". Learn to be a supportive fan, people.

I give "The Illusion of Progress" five stars, in hopes that you all buy this album. Staind has proven they can do ANYTHING within the genre of music, & still maintain the status quo of being incredible. Definitely check out "This Is It", "Rainy Day Parade", "Break Away", & "Lost Along The Way".

Keep up the LOVE, Staind fans!
on August 26, 2008
Well after several years since Chapter V, which had mixed reviews, they're back with another album which had the potential to make or break the band. And to be honest, I believe they've got it made... to at least continue making some good music.

After hearing they're first single "Believe", it was just as I expected from the band (very radio friendly). I compared it a lot to "Right Here" from Chapter V. One of those songs that you hear and you want to listen to over and over because it's just great music. But how's the rest of the album?

Well, after getting the CD and giving it a try, it was not what I expected. I remember not long after Chapter V came out and the band announed a break, that when they were finished, they'd come back and "rock harder than ever". To be honest, this is not even close to one of staind's hardest albums. But that doesn't mean that they're dead, or that this is a bad album

Really, I compare this album a lot to Cold's "A Different Kind of Pain" album. It was definately Cold's softest work, and definately a huge change for the band when comparison to their debut. But really, Scooter Ward's lyrics are extremely passionate and real all thru that album, and just because it's softer, it doesn't mean they suck. Quite the contrary, I think "A Different Kind of Pain" was some of Cold's best music, but that's just me.

But here for Staind just like Cold, they have a softer album with a more consistent sound, while throwing in a few surprises along the way. I just hope Staind doesn't drop off the face of the earth like Cold did.

So, is this my favorite album from Staind? Definately not. I still can't get enough of Break the Cycle. But Staind is here, and even though their hardest rocking days might be over, it doesn't mean they still can't make great music. This is a good album, and you'll enjoy it the more you listen to it.
on August 23, 2008
Staind is a band that has gone through many changes in a good way. They stared out in the NU metal scene in the same category as Slipknot, System of A Down and Soulfly. Then when they realized that lead singer Aaron actually had a great voice they broke away and moved forward into a more melodic persona. This change made them one of the most popular bands of the past decade in rock and after much success they have returned with their 6th album.

Staind is a band that knows how to please their fans and they are a band that knows where they are strongest in the music they make. Unfortunatly a few other artists have taken a big hint from Staind and started doing what they are doing. You can hear Stainds loud but slow guitar and melodic vocals in bands like Finger Eleven, Daughtry and even though the vocals aren't the same even Linkin Park took a bit from Staind. The point I am trying to get across here is this was not the time for Staind to release a new record because their style does not set them apart from most of the rock world. They call this album 'The Illusion of Progress' which is a very ambiguitous name. Does it mean they didn't intend on making something new and fresh, I would have to say no because they threw in a few new elements like a Counting Crows style organ in a few tracks. I had a feeling that track 9 on Chapter V (ironically called 'Everything Changes') was going be a major influence on their next record and it seems I was correct.

While there are a few tracks here that are of the classic Staind sound like their single 'Beleive' It is just not a great listen strait through. I feel music needed to go through some major changes soon because this whole decade has been a complete mess. I just hope that bands like Staind will not fade into the background and I hope that they do progress forward with their next album whenever it may come.