Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Illustrated Star Wars Universe (Star Wars)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-6 of 6 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on October 29, 2014
I bought the hard cover, library bound version of this book based on all of the fairly glowing reviews, but after just doing some light reading and a quick perusal through the entire book, it's just meh for me.
Ralph McQuarrie is awesome illustrator for the Star Wars universe, but someone decided to minimize the importance of his artwork, which should have been the focal point of this book, and add a lot of useless and B.S. back story text based on the plots of each of the movies, instead.
I am not happy about this.
I think the illustrations should have been larger and span the entire spread of the book for each illustration with much less emphasis on text content.
Maybe a 50/50 balance or 60/40 with the artwork getting the higher percentage of emphasis.
I have plenty of Star Wars Art related books that the art IS ALWAYS THE MAIN EMPHASIS AND STAR of these books!
This was NOT the case with this book.
McQuarrie's illustrations are spread across the upper third of this book in a not very complimentary format and the remaining 2/3 of the page is all text which seems to be, somewhat, forgettable and throwaway.
The half-assed Star Wars logotype-like layout of the book doesn't give a lot of class and respect to artwork and illustrator, either.
The book for me is, somewhat, a dissapointment, but I do not own any other Star Wars source that has almost all of McQuarrie's illustrations in one source book.
So, this is really the only plus of having this book as a reference of his works for StarWars.
I just wish this book was more than what it ended up being.
on July 17, 2014
The Illustrated Star Wars book seems to be dominated by "Empire" and "Return" art. There are just not enough paintings and designs from Star Wars, Episode IV, proper. I like the other movies' production art but it's obvious that once Star Wars was a hit Lucas could afford much higher quality production paintings. By the eighties gone were the clunky 70s-inspired paintings. But more glossy, clean, highly detailed production art can be a bit one-note. I was hoping for more of that late-seventies look that made the first Star Wars movie, and its design, so unique.
on April 20, 2015
I wanted to know more about the artist Ralph McQuarrie, the stories were ok, but I just wanted more art.
on January 10, 2015
Book had three DEEP scratches on the cover...not giftable Dissappointing
on July 20, 2015
ok
on January 10, 1998
While I couldn't say I didn't like this book, I can't see how they justify the (List) price. Ok if your an art freak, but even though I'm a big Star Wars fan, it's lack of content means I could live without it.