Customer Video Review     Length:: 4:53 Mins
Published 23 months ago by Keith Nerdin

2.0 out of 5 stars The manuscript needs much more editing before publication.
This book is a mess. It fails both in content as well as in the way the content is presented.
Content: nothing new. You can find everything in your common sense or in other books already written. See for instance books by Seth Godin, Tim Ferris etc. But what is most amazing is that the content is so unclear and naively presented that it makes it doubtful to speak...
Published 8 months ago by Oxphos72

5.0 out of 5 stars I got perpetually punched in the face with value. In a...you know...really good sort of a way., October 25, 2012
Keith Nerdin (Walla Walla, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Impact Equation: Are You Making Things Happen or Just Making Noise? (Hardcover)
Length:: 4:53 Mins

I was fortunate to receive an advanced copy of this book. The video review is similar to the one I did on my blog. In fact, my review of this book was my first blog post ever. If it feels unbalanced or biased, it's not because I have any affiliation whatsoever with the authors, I just really liked the book. I've changed the way I think and work because of it's message.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Valuable Source of Ideas & Strategies to Expand Your Influence, October 25, 2012
I have to be honest: I wasn't a big fan of Trust Agents, the first book by Chris Brogan and Julien Smith. It was just a bit too nebulous and didn't contain enough actionable information for my tastes. So when I received a pre-release copy of The Impact Equation in the mail a month ago, I approached it with a bit of trepidation. I shouldn't have been worried.

The Impact Equation does a marvelous job of explaining how to build or expand your personal brand online. Refreshingly, it maintains a very strong human focus, rather than focusing upon specific tools and "nuts and bolts." Building influence and impact is an inexact science. There's no "do these 10 things and you'll be unstoppable" formula you can follow. Brogan and Smith acknowledge this, and focus instead on presenting a cohesive set of strategies and principles - a platform - that has proven to be successful.

As an experienced blogger and publisher of several websites for a decade now, I was pleasantly surprised to discover many fresh insights and ideas throughout The Impact Equation. Its conversational tone and numerous examples kept me engaged and turning the pages; I found myself devouring it with a highlighter and a pen, underscoring key concepts and jotting notes in the margin on how I plan to put them to work - always a great sign of a valuable business book!

Because I write extensively on creative thinking, brainstorming and visual mapping and love sharing awesome ideas, one of my favorite parts of the book was the authors' discussion of ideas. But not how to brainstorm ideas - that topic has been covered ad nauseum in numerous books and blogs. Rather, they concentrate on how to make your ideas stronger and more persuasive, a topic that has actually gotten surprisingly little coverage in other media.

Brogan and Smith emphasize that it's not enough to come up with great ideas; they need to be relentlessly refined and shaped to ensure that they have a deeper impact upon our target audiences. They need to stand out against an increasing volume of background noise; they need to connect to other knowledge and concepts that your audience already understands. Metaphor is one way to do this. There's actually something Darwinian about successful ideas - they not only fit tightly with their customers' needs but also are designed to be eminently sharable and spread easily in social channels.

"The best ideators aren't just creative; in fact, creativity is but a single aspect idea creation. The rest is a matter of fitting the idea into its environment in an effective way - finding ways for it to spread naturally and quickly and to live beyond its initial contact with its host."

Successful ideas have designs "that help them replicate effectively and take hold in the mind." And they emphasize that "an idea's reach is a consequence of its fit within the ecosystem of its time."

Clearly, I need to spend less time generating new ideas and giving more thought to how to shape, refine and improve the ones I've already created to ensure that they have a greater impact on the people whom I'm trying to influence.

The authors also talk extensively about sharing others' great ideas, rather than just promoting your own - a great way to grow one's influence. It's a "give before you get" philosophy that can't be emphasized enough. It's definitely time consuming but is well worth the investment. It's actually the only sustainable way to grow one's influence online. I've tried to practice this, but Brogan and Smith have challenged me to do even more in this important area.

The Impact Equation is a great read, filled with tons of valuable advice that can help you to expand your influence and impact, both on- and offline. I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Marketing that Thumps You in the Chest, October 25, 2012
Bill Rice (Detroit, MI USA) - See all my reviews
Why would you buy The Impact Equation? There's a heap of marketing books. A quick search on Amazon yielded over 700,000. Most are irrelevant. Here's why I found The Impact Equation different...

I read it and it does something very unique. It focuses on results and timeless techniques to get them. There are no tricks, silver bullets, or single venue gimmicks. It's about human behavior and fulfilling compelling needs in consumers, for good; which I'm assuming is why your business exists.

I recommend you read it.

Okay, if you're still here, let me share a little more about why I liked the book, annotated the book, and changes several client campaigns to reflect it's principles.

I make my living in the digital marketing space. It's a fiercely competitive and challenging space to consistently achieve successes. There are tons of us digital marketers and the landscape is always changing. What? MySpace is coming back? See.

Likewise, there are lots of digital marketing books. Again, lots of us and things are always changing. That's why I approach all Internet marketing books with skepticism and a realization that it will probably be obsolete in six months, tops.

However, there's a little secret elite marketers hold close. People, even in Fortune 500 companies, make the ultimate buying decision. And ultimately, people only separate from their money, even corporate money, when they feel something good will happen.

That requires Impact.

This book literally takes you through the formula for building companies, platforms, and campaigns that thump people in the chest. That's impact.

It's the unexpected human touch: a favorite CD laid on your hotel pillow, a reply via email or twitter directly from an executive or celebrity, an opportunity to contribute to an awesome project or charity, a one on one conversation with a favorite author.

Easy on a small scale you say? Thankfully, The Impact Equation stays grounded in reality. The book goes on to educate you on how to scale Platforms and Networks to satisfy even the most ravenous marketers' need for high quality and quantity of responses. Impact.

Chris Brogan and Julien Smith have done it again (I was a big fan of Trust Agents too); they have teamed up to show you how to make your marketing more human and your customers fanatical by returning your customers emotions with yours.

Grab a copy!

5.0 out of 5 stars As a Professor, I'd love to use The Impact Equation for my New Media Class!, October 26, 2012
I teach a graduate course in New Media Marketing, and want to adopt this book for my course. Chris and Julien provide a simple formula for creating content that moves your audience to action. In every instance, they provide real world examples of how each part of the equation has yielded success for them as well as other well known people, companies and organizations.

My class starts with online influence, then helps students to leverage content marketing, mobile and game-based marketing, location and more. There are different tools and sites that are currently in vogue for each of these areas, but what I love about The Impact Equation is that it transcends any specific tools or social networks: the principles Chris and Julien explain apply no matter which channels you use to reach your audience. Whatever your goals are, this book can help you achieve them, because it focuses on the people you want to reach, rather than the latest social network or mobile app.

Like most people, I have precious little time to read, and I need to choose the best industry publications to stay current in my field for teaching. Having read Chris's blog for years, I've come to rely on him for consistently top-quality content. I also knew from reading Trust Agents that he and Julien are the real deal: any publication of theirs will be informative and worth reading.

The Impact Equations does not disappoint! They get right to the "good stuff," explaining The Impact Equation (yes, it's an actual equation) and what each part of the process is for building your online influence. The rest of the book expounds on each element, providing plenty of industry examples and thought provoking exercises to ensure that you're able to apply the equation to your unique goals and objectives.

The insights you'll gain from this book are worth much more than this book costs. I liked it so much that I bought one even though I had already received a review copy. The Impact Equation is so good that I wanted to share it, but didn't want to part with my own well loved, dog-eared copy!

Buy this book and read it more than once. Take Chris and Julien's advice to heart, apply it to your online efforts, then watch your content make a whole new impact on your audience.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is an Excellent Rubric, October 25, 2012
Chris Brogan and Julien Smith have hit a home-run. The plain style language and conversational flow of the book make it very approachable. I believe I may be using this book and the Equation itself in a unique way.I am a teacher at Lawton Chiles Preparatory School in Cassellberry, FL. In my classes we have a secondary curriculum called "Positive Digital Footprint". In that time we encourage students to not only create social media but promote it as well. I have used The Impact Equation as a text. We not only try to rise above the noise and chatter of the masses, but also shamelessly promote ourselves, our interests and our causes in a positive and responsible manner. This book outlines how to do just that. We are not looking for a profit monetarily, but we do want to create value just the same. My labs and my school use the Impact Equation as a rubric for presentations as well. Students are versed in the meaning of Cx(R+E+A+T+E) and score one another and themselves accordingly. The Articulation informs my academic score, and the rest becomes part of their character grade. The kids know that they need to CREATE in order to get that 500! Point being, the Impact Equation is great for my individual endeavors, as a blogger, writer, activist (@ConHippy) and teacher. Shaunkunz.com

My Students wish to share.

Charlie says:

"I think it is very useful because it helps me understand what I can improve in my presentation. like articulation which basic means if I say, 'um,' 'ah,' stutter, or if I actually studied what I am supposed to say. We use it to score how effective the presentation was. It helps to gauge the audience participation."

Nelson Says:
"The Impact Equation has helped out the students and the teachers of Lawton Chiles Preparatory School #chilesprep. The Equation was first introduced to us by #MrKRoom3. At first I thought the Idea was pointless. As we continued to get more projects we used the Equation. I then started to realize how effective this Equation was. We haven't changed the Equation at all this entire school year. I'm very proud to be using this grading Equation."

5.0 out of 5 stars You never get a second chance to make a first great IMPACT, October 25, 2012
I do love EQUATIONS! Trust me I am an engineer! So I start to read this book looking for formulas! But Chris and Julien have that particular talent to write about complex things and translate it in such a way that you can actually make things happen.

Was I disapointed not finding tons of equations? Not really! Instead, It made me think of my actual web strategy and I implement changes right away!

Often, books like The Impact Equation suggests reflexions, excercices, etc. With The Impact Equation: I did them all! I even wrote IN THE BOOK with a pen! (I usually never do that)

Special thanks to Julien: "J'ai eu du fun à lire ce livre!"

So in the end, I recommend The Impact Equation! Because for your second book (after Trust Agents: Using the Web to Build Influence, Improve Reputation, and Earn Trust), you deliver... again!

5.0 out of 5 stars I just bought 12 extra copies. It's that kind of book., October 25, 2012
Some artforms are impossible to teach.

Somehow, authors Julien Smith and Chris Brogan distilled down the art of how to make an impact online. And they should know.

They're some of the most influential people on the Web. Both authors practice what they preach, and they've been doing it for decades (collectively). So, you get all the value of their experience packed into less than 300 pages.

Julien and Chris use stories and examples that bring their strategies to life. So, instead of having a bunch of vague ideas or a general concept of what to do, you'll find yourself saying, "OK, cool. I can go do that."

I've already purchased a dozen extra copies to give to some of my teammates and business friends. It's that kind of book.

Get "The Impact Equation." Read it. Takes notes. But most importantly, APPLY the equation today.

You'll thank yourself later.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Definite Guide to Creating a Channel/Platform, October 29, 2012
Are you building a new brand or re-imagining an existing brand in the digital space? Are you a consultant, professional services provider, blogger, or speaker looking to add value and make your mark? If your answer to any of these was `yes,' then The Impact Equation belongs on your reading list.

A word of warning: Don't dive into this expecting a light read that you can casually flip through. The Impact Equation is a book of big ideas that merit careful consideration and thought. Simply blowing through the book won't result in optimal impact for you or your brand. I'm a very deliberate reader and found myself slowly going through the book's pages and re-reading to internalize Impact's ideas. You'll also want a Moleskine or Evernote (or both) handy for capturing concepts you'll want to implement. The book also features a few interactive workbook-like activities that you may want to record for future use.

Again, this is not a paint-by-number social media 101 handbook. Rather, The Impact Equation is an advanced recipe book for building a trustworthy, human brand on a channel that by definition reduces our physical closeness to others. In short, if you are ready to get past the headlines and hype and create a more human brand, check out The Impact Equation.

You can check out my full review here - [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars So many tragedies could have been avoided if they had only read this book first..., October 25, 2012
Rick Manelius (Fort Collins, Colorado) - See all my reviews
I've been a web developer for almost 4 years now and I've heard so many horror stories (across the industry) of companies spending tons of money building out these elaborate pieces of technology, only to get no return on their investment and no impact from their efforts.

In case you haven't heard the story, here is how it (typically) goes...

1. Person/company builds a website thinking the world will beat a path to their door because their idea is just that awesome.
2. When that doesn't happen, they realize "Ah! I'm must not be using the right CMS, social networks, and newsletter services!"
3. When that doesn't work, they discover "Ah! It's not the tools, I'm just not using them effectively/efficiently!"
4. When that doesn't solve everything, they finally cry out... "HELP!"

This last line is not a joke. Two days ago I received an email from an old friend with the first line being "HELP." Basically they didn't get the response they were hoping for and were about to lose a lot of money as a result. Sadly, by the time someone screams for HELP it is usually too late... and in this case, it was.

The Impact Equation is a book that forces you to look at the entire picture and not rely on technology on the magic bullet to help you achieve all your goals. And best of all, I absolutely love the CREATE acronym (i.g. Impact = Contrast * [Reach + Exposure + Articulation + Trust + Echo]). It now only allows you to easily remember all the major components of what is required to achieve the goal at hand, but it allows you to benchmark where you're doing well and what areas you need to focus and improve.

I would consider reading this book to be a pre-requisite before any discussion about a new web/website project. It will help you avoid many of the pitfalls I outlined above, saving you countless hours, dollars, and headaches.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've never read anything like this!, October 25, 2012
I have been reading Julien's and Chris's blogs for a while, so it's safe to say I'm quite familiar with their "teachings" - You need to focus, you need to genuinely care about others, etc. But I wasn't sure what to expect from The Impact Equation. Is it a self-help book? Or is this a social media book? Neither.
The Impact Equation tells you how to make the most of what you have (knowledge, talent, audience etc) to accomplish what you are so passionate about. It might be your business, your cause, or your book.
This book will NOT tell you "How to gain 1000 followers on Twitter"...so if you are looking for THAT kind of book, don't buy this.
But the Impact Equation will tell you HOW to leverage what you have to have maximum impact on what you do.
The concept of the Equation was something completely new to me, I was so thrilled to find out! I now knoq my strengths and weaknesses...and how to utilize it.
Highly recommend this book!

The Impact Equation: Are You Making Things Happen or Just Making Noise?
$26.95 $19.68