The Impossible [Blu-ray]
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor step into the primary roles despite the fact that the real life Belons were from Spain. In fact, this is the first English language film by respected Spanish director Juan Antonio Bayona (The Orphanage). Nationality differences aside, Bayona has crafted a movie with universal appeal. The love of family crosses all cultural borders, and the heart of the screenplay recognizes this with unwavering clarity. Watts and McGregor are enjoying Christmas with their three sons at a posh seaside resort as the film opens. Truthfully, we don't get to know too much about the clan. They are painted in fairly broad strokes as a perfect little family unit. But their idyllic holiday is cut short one morning as a tsunami rips across the country.Read more ›
* Naomi Watts ("J. Edgar") is María, a physician who has suspended her career to raise a family.
* Ewan McGregor ("Salmon Fishing in the Yemen") is Henry, her husband, who has concerns about his job but most particularly whether or not he re-set the house alarm when they left for their vacation.
* Tom Holland (voice:"The Secret World of Arrietty") is Lucas, a mildly rebellious tween but a good kid. Once he and his badly injured mother are stranded in the bewildering detritus of the tsunami, he is the stronger and the healthier of the two. He never hesitates.
* Samuel Joslin (in his first movie role) is Thomas, the tyke charged with the responsibility to watch over his even littler brother. He is truly alarmed and his scene with his father is brilliant.
* Oaklee Pendergast ("EastEnders") is Simon, the little brother who really has to pee!
Much has been made over the myopia of Western Europeans making a movie that features a white family in the midst of a tragedy that killed over 200,000 (mostly local) people. I could argue that these locals are portrayed in the very best light: they instantly spring to the aid of any and everyone, are kind, considerate and life-saving whenever possible.Read more ›
Naomi Watts was also stellar.
This was not a sugar-coated account of the tsunami, but rather real, raw, and powerful. Of course, I had to google the real family. What an amazing story.
Makes you want to go and hug all of your loved ones.
As for the Blu-ray, I'm looking forward to it. Here are the current confirmed extras.
Audio commentary with director J.A. Bayona, writer Sergio G. Sánchez and producer Belén Atienza and María Belón
I was hoping for an in depth making of the film, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. I could watch hours on the making of the tsunami scenes alone.
All in all, this should definitely be a Blu-ray to look out for. It's easily one of the best films to be released on the format so far in 2013, and it's a movie that I won't soon forget.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Enjoyed the movie. Bought it so my son could learn about the tsunami but this tape also skipped along with the other one I purchased but I was able to get through it.Published 5 days ago by Amazon Customer
Intense and realistic portrayal of the tsunami that hit Phuket. Very good!Published 14 days ago by B. Maldonado
This is an excellent story with great acting and cinematic effects. However, I am convinced it was not more popular because it is so heart wrenching to watch. Read morePublished 16 days ago by Allen Miller
First half of the movie is depressing because of all the destruction. But, then the human spirit shows through in the second half. Read morePublished 16 days ago by Stan
Amazing and inspiring story. Glad that the author and team chose to share it.Published 20 days ago by SJ