Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Infernal Devices: Clockwork Angel; Clockwork Prince; Clockwork Princess
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on March 19, 2013
The Infernal Devices trilogy by Cassandra Clare is one of my favorite book series. If you're planning to buy the first book, Clockwork Angel, you should definitely consider buying them all at once in this pack. I can almost guarantee you're not going to want to wait in between books. They're just that good.

With the death of her aunt, Tessa is forced to move from America to London to live with her brother. Upon arriving, she is taken by a pair of evil warlocks, known as the Dark Sisters. Under orders from the mysterious Magister, the Dark Sisters torture Tessa and make her discover and master her power to be able to change her appearance into someone else, and be able to see their thoughts and feelings. Then she gets rescued by two Shadowhunters named Jem and Will. They take her back to the Institute to attempt to figure everything out. Who is the Magister? What does he want with Tessa? Why does Tessa have these powers? Tessa finds a magical world that she never knew existed as she finds herself the very center of a dangerous and magical world.

These books are written as the prequels to the Mortal Instruments series, and you will see a few familiar characters. But you can easily read the trilogy without having read any of the Mortal Instruments.

The book is set in the Victorian era, and it is portrayed perfectly. The dialogue is never too awkward or formal, even for those unfamiliar with the language style of the time.

Clare has a gift with writing strong characters that you connect with. No matter how minor, you feel like you personally know every character mentioned. The plot has so many unexpected twists and turns that had me guessing and on the edge of my seat until the very last page of Clockwork Princess.

I'm warning you now, the ending is not completely happy, but rather bittersweet. But it is absolutely perfect and the quality that I've come to expect from Cassandra Clare.

Definitely buy the pack if you enjoyed the Mortal Instruments or if you're looking for an amazing book series.
11 comment| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 16, 2013
I thought nothing would compare to the attachment I had to The Mortal Instruments until I picked up Clockwork Prince. I was just as obsessed with this series as I was was with the other Cassandra Clare series. This author has a gift and I hope she starts a new series because I know I will be watching and waiting. When I am reading one of her books the world she takes me to is in my thoughts long after I left it. This series is absolutley amazing and a must read. Once it was over I wasn't even sure what to do with myself!
on April 17, 2013
I originally (and hesitantly) began reading this series because I had read the Mortal Instrument series & enjoyed it. This series was better, especially for people (like me) who enjoy historical fiction. The characters were endearing and fascinatingly flawed & perfect at the same time. The women are strong and passionate and loving and loyal. I definitely would recommend this series to all who love young adult fantasy, romance, & adventure fiction.
on December 3, 2014
First: I ordered this book set during the holiday season. Amazing as Amazon is, I received it in less than a week, and a day before the estimated date, all with free shipping (the slowest). Thank you Amazon. This is what increases my satisfaction as a customer.

About the Book Set:
For those who have not read Cassandra Clare's books before, I recommend at least reading "City of Bones". While the Infernal Devices is a prequel series, it was written after the first two or three books of the Mortal Instruments.
The first time I read the Infernal Devices, I was left with a muddled feeling. Clare creates a deep bond with her characters, and the world her books take place in is phenomenal. I recommend this book for 16+. This book is intended for older audiences than the Mortal Instruments, and the characters are deeply emotional and intertwined.
Compared to the Mortal Instruments, the Infernal Devices is sad, it shows the reader of the realities of this life. But it left me with a satisfied feeling of knowing that while I read this book, it was a realistic book with morals and messages.
I recommend this book for Harry Potter Fans, Septimus Heap Fans, Books of Bayern Fans, and the rest in that General genre.
If you are looking for an easy to read story similar to Stephanie Meyer's writing, I recommend looking somewhere else, because a book like this requires a deeper interpretation and has a much thicker plot.
After pondering and rereading sections of these books, I realized I truly enjoyed it. Clare is a fantastic author, and I give her my highest recommendations.
on July 6, 2013
While I enjoy the Mortal Instruments series, I found myself annoyed by the childish nature of Clary and (sometimes) Jace. Here, I found myself truly, deeply loving each character. My heart raced when they were in peril, shattered when they're theirs broke, and soared amidst the clouds when they were happy. I can name only 4 books that have brought me to tears, but I wept for the characters here with joy and sorrow. I love everything about these books, but, most impressively, feel as though I'm shutting off a section of my own soul as I close this final book and walk away. Read them. If you do not feel the same, I do not fault you, but you will not regret the adventure.
on July 4, 2013
I was already hooked on the Mortal Instrument series and the way this prequel series ties in to the MI series is phenomenol.
on March 28, 2016
Clockwork Angel: 3/5 Stars

I didn't like this one as much as I liked The Mortal Instruments. Clare did a wonderful job at it, but I just didn't feel the attachment to these characters that I felt with Clary and Jace and that whole group. My interest picked up more at the end of the book when Tessa is trying to figure out information about her parents and what she is. I was also surprised to find out about her brothers involvement in everything. And, if Will was a real person, I would have slapped him when he told Tessa that she was pretty much a whore for him. I'm sure he's doing it to distance himself from her so he doesn't get attached, because I've read The Bane Chronicles and Shadowhunter Academy, so I know things, but still, that was just uncalled for and I don't like him too much right now.

I will be moving onto the next book, but I'm uncertain about the series.

Clockwork Prince: 4/5 Stars

So I liked this one more than the first one, but still not as much as The Mortal Instruments. I feel like there was better character development in this one, and so I felt more when something good or bad happened. But I am anxious to finish the series. I think I'm ready to leave the Shadowhunter world for a little bit.

Clockwork Princess: 4/5 Stars

Okay, so this one only gets 4 stars because the last quarter of the book really made up for first 3/4 of the book. There were parts of the book where I strongly considered stopping, but since I was on the last book of the series, I didn't want to give up.

I felt like so much of the book (and the series) was about Tessa trying to figure out who she loved. Back and forth, back and forth. Do I love Will? Do I love Jem? I said yes to Jem, so I must not love Will. I think it was Johnny Depp who said "If you love two people, choose the second, because if you really loved the first one, you wouldn't have fallen for the second one." Or it was something like that. And I felt like the entire book, that's what I was yelling at Tessa. And really, I should have been stressing out about what was going to happen. But this series read more like harlequin romance novels, or what I'm assuming those are like because I've never read one.

But, I do have to say, I love Charlotte. I think the world needs more characters like Charlotte. And Henry. In a time when women had little say in anything, Charlotte is running an institute, being a boss, and telling people what's what. Yes, there were times where she wanted to give up, but everyone does. But she is what I think people should be reading about. She shows everyone that women can be in charge just as much as a man and that just because she's "in a delicate state" as was so kindly put, doesn't mean that she can't think right. Charlotte is one of the true heroes of the story. And wonderful Henry stands by her in every decision she makes and doesn't let people put her down. They are the ideal couple.

So even though I knew that Jem became Brother Zachariah, it still made me extremely happy that he showed up with the other Brothers to fight. Seeing him there was the best. Because even though he was technically no longer a fighter, these were people he cared about and he wasn't going to let a technicality stop him from defending them.

I also liked the end where Tessa is waiting for him on the bridge and finds out that he isn't a Silent Brother anymore, he is her Jem again. And honestly, I think it's for the best that they didn't get married all those years ago. I really do think that Tessa loved Will more and that they were better for each other. But now Tessa has gone all of these years without Will by her side, she's had to live a life by herself, and now I think she can be the person that Jem deserves.
on January 22, 2016
Stunning!
review image review image
on July 3, 2013
It was witty and hilarious, it makes you want to read more, which is hard to find in modern authors. It tugs at heart strings and comes back with comedy, romance! You will love this book if you like Ther Hunger Games, or The Bartimaus Trilogy! Cassandra Clare is a wonderful author and I love her books!
on October 10, 2014
I first read this series as they were coming out, giving myself something to do while I waited for TMI. But I found myself craving the books more and more like a drug. The characters haunted my dreams, I could not stop thinking about them, their pain was my pain, their happiness mine. The series finally was perhaps one of the best finales EVER. It is happy and very sad at once. I just re-read the entire series again. This time it was even better because I didn't have to wait the long period in between. I laughed out loud at Will's jokes and giggled when young love flourished. Once again the books have consumed me, I can't think of anything else as if they were real people and I ache for Will and wonder how Tessa and Jem are doing. I found myself reading TMI just to get glimpses of my favorite trio. And I will probably do the same with the following two series. A series that can captivate your mind in such a manner and like Tessa says "make you feel as though you're among friends" really says something. It hurts to get back to reality but I'm so very thankful that Cassandra created such hauntingly beautiful characters. At times I wish it were made into a movie, better yet a tv series where each chapter is an episode but only if it were word for word, action for action no changes because it is perfection.