Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on May 9, 2013
I was rather disappointed because it was a great premise but it felt like t,he writer ran out of steam and ended the book really abruptly attempting to tie up story ends in the last chapter. The characters he created had great potential and so did the core idea and for some reason, he just chucked it up!
on March 15, 2013
Boring bunch of eco-trash, no real plot to speak of, bland characters, stilted situations, improbable action scenes - to a degree of absurdity.
on January 18, 2014
Kind of a rough start trying to grasp the storyline but about half way I started getting the gist. Not really my cup of tea for futuristic but we'll written.
on August 29, 2013
I didn't read the other Raft People books but I found myself able to enjoy this without prior knowledge of that world. The characters become very familiar with the readers quickly. I happened to get this around the time scientists were actually talking about the possibility of doing something quite similar to this. It doesn't seem too far off from one day being a possible reality. Very enjoyable to read.
on July 13, 2013
Just read the Information Thieves. Good story, well told. HOWEVER - you desperately need a copy editor - many grammatical and spelling errors. Some places a rewritten sentence contained parts of both versions. Also felt the ending was a let down - too much left out from the last piece of the story before, an unsatisfying end to an otherwise satisfying story
on May 6, 2013
It didn't engage me enough to compel me to read any more in this series. I thought it was kind of predictable and formulaic.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 29, 2013
I loved reading the first book Raft People [which you do not have to drive first before this one]. So another book in the same universe interested me. This book started out great but the ending was really quick, I wish there was more to the ending of the book. Other than that another great book in the Raft people universe, would love to read more!
on March 14, 2013
The first quarter of the book doesn't really seem to be necessary, but it performs some setup functions. It would probably have been more enjoyable if these worked further into the plot later, but they feel like padding added after going to an to explain why some things didn't make sense. It does give some insight into otherwise flat characters... occasionally some of their descriptions or information reveals are out of character enough to distract from the story.

I get the sense that having read other books set into the world may make this one more enjoyable, but for someone fresh to the author and piece, it's only minimally appealing. That said, it should only take a day or two to read, so it's worth the price of admission for the entertainment it deliveres.

I may have anticipated a bit more technology/hacking/cybercrime, where this delivers a bit more on the genetic engineering front.
on February 25, 2013
This was a quick and fun read. It was a little slow to get started, but there was nice character development. Once the story got going there were some nice twists and turns, with and enjoyable ending, although in places I got the feeling it was being used as a set up for a follow up book.

Also, even thought this story was set in the same world as "Raft People", it stands nicely on it's own and you don't feel you have missed anything by not reading the earlier book. Having said that, the enjoyable writing style has made me curious, so I will probably now download "Raft People".

As a final thought the thing that kept popping in my head was that this could easily be made into a TV movie, it had that feel to it.
on February 24, 2013
I seem to have started in the middle of a series with this book, but the story is a complete one. The book is tagged as high-tech, which is true to some extent. The future portrayed is of a world trying to adjust to climatic change that has flooded previously habitable areas and changed the face of the world's landscape. Most of the advanced technology is in the hands of rich, powerful corporations.

The trigger event is Eli's computer hacking of one such corporation, World Tech. This is the first domino in a series that exposes World Tech's criminal carelessness and illegal experiments. Other dominoes follow - a graphic painting, a young man, a young boy, an assassination attempt. All are important factors in the story, not requiring any advanced technology. The assassin uses a sword, for example. I liked that little nod to history.

What I read was an excellent story about family dynamics. The core family, the extended family, and some adopted family all work together to protect Eli and Julia, with just a little help from the FBI. The assassin turns her back on World Tech immediately when her family orders her to do so. This mixed bag of people have plenty of conflicts and issues, but also have the same interests. How they work together to protect those interests and each other is the heart of the story, and is very well done.

This book misses the 5 stars for a couple of reasons. The story flowed smoothly until nearly the end, where the last section is an abrupt scene change. It was a little confusing, and it took a couple of paragraphs to deduce that several weeks, if not months, had elapsed since the previous scene. Some of what occurred during that time period is explained, but not all. There are a couple of loose ends. Also, I read the Kindle edition, which contained a number of errors that should be addressed with some editing. It was just enough to be a bit distracting.

Still, I enjoyed this book enough to want to read the first book in the series as well.