Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Inheritance
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: DVD|Change

on September 4, 2011
Inheritance is one of those movies where you've got the great star cast, You got the perfect location, a workable set, decent cameras & lightin.., But mannn!, Your script is weak when it came time to put the "Boo!!!" into people... It was about as scary as holding a flashlight up to the chin.. When you decorate your house for Holloween scary.., Being pulled over by a cop scary.., The script was just weak... The young actors have done some Great stuff, I can vouche for them.., But the director & producers weren't serious about this product when it came to suspense or horror, Even the "Ritual" love scene drew a "Yawn" and we're talking about the " Up & Coming" Golden Brooks who's movie debut didn't leave any singed or wow recall in my mind the way a Sanaa, Halle, Gabrielle or any "idol worthy" actress gets a "double take" for... the movie's a watchable C+
on August 2, 2015
I Love movies that take me out of my comfort zone. This is that type of movie. Based on slaves being brought to America, yet still having the knowledge of their Ancient ways and that knowledge being passed down through the generations. This movie is based on real events and people. If you believe or know about the Orishas or Voldun you should appreciate this movie.
on September 26, 2011
After reading the reviews first than watching the movie i have to totally disagree with the low ratings some have given it.It gets 4 out of 5 stars only because i would have liked more special effects.Other than that i was totally entertained.I liked 'The Inheritance' a LOT!Shakabazz rocks!!
on September 30, 2011
I just saw this movie last night. I got it for $5.20 (Amazon 3rd party seller) with free shipping for $25 or more of an order. It was very different. Call me crazy but it kinda reminds me of a Black version of "Scream".
There are no extras on the DVD other than a trailer for the movie.
This would be a good movie to show on "Halloween". Here is one question for folks after seeing the movie:
Was Karen having sex with her cousin Henry? I sort got that in the movie. Anyone else?
During the beginning of the movie she said, "We need to tell them about us?"
Did anyone recognize "Aunt Bee" as the mean lady from "Antwone Fisher"?
I just found out from another website that Karen and Henry are unrelated by blood.
I kinda thought Henry might be adopted, so I guess he was.
Everyone knows, when stuff starts to happen, you stay together!
The ending had me screaming, "What?!?".
The ending didn't fit but maybe the director didn't know what else to do.
How often do you see an entire black cast in a horror movie?
I would watch this movie again.
on March 11, 2011
'The Inheritance'
This movie has been sitting on the shelf since 2008 and is finally being released.
It's about a group of African American Cousins from different backgrounds that are summoned to a cabin/house in the woods during the dead of Winter with promises and visions of Dollar signs dancing in there heads. Unfortunately the only thing they find dancing when they wake up the next morning is a bunch of their older relatives in ceremonial African makeup and costumes chanting the name "Chakabazz" whom is a 200 year old Witch doctor that keeps his powers by using the blood from the descendants of Slaves.

The Story and idea are quite clever but it just doesn't play out in a way that satisfied me. Reasons being,there are virtually no gore effects or blood.
The cast was excellent and the acting very well done even for this somewhat over the top Genre piece.Keith David,Golden Brooks and the beautiful Rochelle Aytes were some of the actors that kept this movie in a watchable and almost enjoyable light.
It came off a bit cheesy at times which I'm a fan of ,if ordered.

I would have preferred this without cheese,too bad movies can't be like Burger King so you can have them "your way".
I imagine there are plenty of people that will enjoy this movie and I would have really enjoyed it as well if there had been a substantial amount of Blood and gore throughout, seeing as the plot did call for it.
on June 7, 2014
This Film should have been promoted better, I loved it this film had everything all the way down to the African Griot story telling with the drums. The ultimate Blood Ritual crazy was very spooky.
My wife and I have a hobby of rating our movies after viewing them. She liked THE INHERITANCE while I didn't think much of it. Since the task of writing reviews is my job, you'll get my opinion. Set in snowy Minnesota, the convoluted plot follows a African-American family coming together to see what their inheritance will be. We meet "the elders" who will choose one to inherit the family's "inheritance." BUT it's not money--oh no--it's something quite different.
Of course, there are dark secrets involving slaves, demons, curses etc. By the time the film's over, the cast dwindles, mostly off-screen which is odd since the film is unrated.
Director Robert O'Hara tries gimmicky techniques such as split screen and flashy CSI-like editing--that do little to advance the story. Most of the acting sinks to sit-com histrionics, except for Keith David who seems to be having a good time, even when chanting "Chakkabazz" or whatever?
While I appreciate the effort to avoid African-American profiling. THE INHERITANCE just didn't make the grade for me. Sorry, dear!
on September 4, 2015
Kind of a basic horror slaughter flick. The main difference is this time the guests of honor are older African Americans, instead of mostly white teenagers.

Five African American cousins get together at a family reunion. Most of them seem to want to get money from their wealthy relatives. Their elders seem to have other things in mind for them.

Not especially gory for the genre.

Could have been better without all the goofy camera tricks employed. That took away from the movie for me.
on August 29, 2013
I love this movie it was well done it just needed a little more to the story line like a good meal with not enough on the plate. I hope for a sequel with Tyler perry's hands on it. But all in all, loves it.
<strong>The Inheritance</strong> (Robert O'Hara, 2011)

Because I have seen so few 2011 releases so far, I haven't even thought about coming up with a Best Movies of 2011 list. However, I can tell you that when I have seen enough to compile a Worst Movies of 2011 list, there's every chance that <em>The Inheritance</em>, a terminally stupid attempt at a supernatural slasher film, will be on it.

Plot: five siblings--Lily (<em>Madea's Family Reunion</em>'s Michelle Aytes), Karen (<em>Beauty Shop</em>'s Golden Brooks), Tyrone (<em>Stomp the Yard</em>'s Darren Dewitt Henson), Simpson (<em>Men of Honor</em>'s Shawn Michael Howard), and Henry (<em>Romeo Must Die</em>'s D. B. Woodside), along with Simpson's boss and his wife (Edward Nattenberg in his first feature appearance and <em>Prelude</em>'s Jenny Weaver)--are on their way to a family house in the middle of nowhere (what part of nowhere isn't mentioned, but it's snowing, so doubtful it's in the Deep South. This becomes important). When they get there, the rest of the family hasn't arrived yet, but there's a note attached to a large box of liquor sitting on the bar in the great room from Uncle Melvin (<em>The Thing</em>'s Keith David) telling them to enjoy themselves till the rest of the cast shows up. You can imagine what the next fifteen-ish minutes of this less-than-ninety-minute movie entails. In any case, eventually the older generation shows up, and that's when things get creepy, or are supposed to, anyway. You see, the family has a generations-old blood pact with a spirit named Chakabazz (<em>Girl Play</em>'s Lanre Idewu), and in order for that pact to stay in place, they have to sacrifice a virgin. And despite her "I'm a lesbian, not a virgin!" protests, as far as the family is concerned, Lily fits the bill...

It's not a bad concept, and lord knows it's been done well a number of times over the years. But O'Hara, both writing and directing for the first time, didn't do anything to bring originality to the table other than saying "what if I do this with a mostly-black cast?". While the cultural differences between the melanin- and non-melanin-challenged in America may be sufficient to turn comedies or dramas into high-grossing niche-market fare--just ask Tyler Perry--it is a well-known fact since at least the days of Mantan Moreland that it doesn't work in the horror genre. Or, perhaps, not well known enough, at least not to Robert O'Hara. Why this is could fill an essay, or even a book of same. I think partly it has to do with the fact that horror films have been more culturally-integrated over the years than more mainstream fare (after all, Mantan Moreland was acting in widely-released horror films decades before Sidney Poitier would do the same in mainstream dramas, even if Moreland was usually there for comic relief), but it also has to do with the fact that the horror genre is already much more shot-through with cliché. You tack on a few stereotypes, and the horror junkie is going to give you the I've-seen-it-all-before yawn. Not that O'Hara limits such to his characters' African-American-ness ("I can't reasonably posit that a beautiful, successful twentysomething could possibly be a virgin... I know, I'll make her a lesbian!").

For what it's worth, I wish I'd liked this movie a whole lot more than I did. You have a passel of engaging actors (Keith David has been overshadowed by James Earl Jones and Sam Jackson as far as The Voice goes, but just listen to this guy's voice-overs during the flashback scenes!) doing what they do best, but they were given a bog-standard script to work with, and O'Hara, to quote Clive Barker, doesn't know a camera lens from a plate of spaghetti. I'm not generally a fan of the Hollywood horror-remake craze, but I'd love to see someone redo this project with a much better put-together script; I think there was a lot of potential here, but O'Hara resisted it at every turn. * ½