5.0 out of 5 stars A succubus you can't trust
Okay I watched the film & I'm not going to get real specific because I
don't want to give away too much.

Pros: Cast. Lead by Sean Patrick Flanery whom I've liked since Powder.
He's great in this playing an introverted Superintendent and his
apartment complex. That's only his part time job though. His day job is
at some sort of steel parts...
Published on September 19, 2007 by Michael E. Weihn

3.0 out of 5 stars A quirky but generally enjoyable film
Published on September 24, 2007 by P. Mann

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars A quirky but generally enjoyable film, September 24, 2007
This review is from: The Insatiable (DVD)
I am not a great connoisseur of vampire lore, and perhaps that fact helped me enjoy this film. What helped more, though, were three of the actors: Sean Patrick Flanery as the improbable vampire hunter, Charlotte Ayanna as the vampire, and Michael Biehn as the veteran of too many encounters with vampires. These three carry the movie and make any scene with two of them in it worth watching.

The plot: Harry Balbo works at a flange company and lives in an apartment building, of which he is the super (in exchange for a rent reduction). He seems to have no social life, which explains why he must listen to a coworker (Jon Huertas) brag incessantly about his sexual prowess and conquests. One night, Balbo witnesses a vampire attack. Before long, he finds himself marked by the vampire and seeks help online. This leads him to Strickland (Biehl), who tells him to kill the vampire. The problem, though, is that Balbo finds himself unable to kill her. Instead, he lures her into a trap.

The bulk of the movie involves Balbo and the vampire in a bizarre sort of relationship--always assuming, of course, that a relationship in which one of the pair is caged constitutes your definition of bizarre. Here, the film succeeds. Ayanna is wonderful as the vampire with a soul, and Flanery admirably conveys a man completely out of his depth. Somehow, they establish a rapport that made me want to keep watching.

"The Insatiable" is a low-budget film, to be certain, but it makes good use of its few locations and is not as completely derivative as its bigger-budget contemporaries. At the heart of the film is the relationship between Balbo and the vampire, and we are never quite sure what to make of this relationship. Of course, she is a vampire and therefore a killer (as she helpfully reminds him), but Ayanna conveys a tenderness and vulnerability that made me root for the relationship in spite of that problem.

"The Insatiable" is not a great film, but it is fun to watch for the most part.

3.0 out of 5 stars Caged Heat, September 26, 2007
This review is from: The Insatiable (DVD)
When I first started reading a lot of books in the Horror genre, the top authors (King, Koontz, etc.) couldn't keep up with my demand. So I'd peruse the shelves in the Horror section of my local bookstore in search of alternatives, and there'd be a ton of paperback titles and authors to choose from.

The alternatives all had cool looking images on their covers, and the back covers always made the stories sound like just what I was looking for in a Horror title...but you know what they say about judging books by their covers. And that old axiom rang true 90% of the time.

Same thing with movies. You get these solicitations to try this DVD or that DVD "based on your past purchases", but you wonder why you've never heard of them before the solicitation. So along comes The Insatiable.

So I'm like: Hmmm...has a good cover. Plus The Insatiable has Michael Biehn it ( The Terminator & Aliens )...ohhh...but he was in those a long time ago. Plus The Insatiable has Sean Patrick Flanery in it...oops I thought Sean Patrick Flanery was Seann William Scott (not that Scott's a real draw either). Oh well.

So I approached THINKFilm's The Insatiable with the same wariness of one of those mass-produced, unknown author, paperback titles with the forward by some famous author. And I was pleasantly surprised by The Insatiable. The movie was pretty good...unlike the too-many-to-count pulp disappointments that I was rewarded with for judging a book by its cover.

But The Insatiable isn't scary. It's more of an interesting take on a vampire story with some dark (sometimes not dark) humor. Have you seen 2007's excellent sleeper Black Snake Moan Black Snake Moan ? The Insatiable has a similar plot: Hold a Young Girl Against Her Will in Order to Make Her a Better Person. Well, in The Insatiable's case...make a young girl a better vampire.

THINKFilm's direct to DVD empire was recently acquired by Time Warner. I have no idea whether or not that had anything to do with the delayed US release of 2006's The Insatiable, but it seems that a lot of THINKFilm's thriller/chillers are all coming out on Direct-to-DVD: .45 , The Killing Floor , Gag , Bloodlines . They all look good, and some even have actors that you'll know (just like The Insatiable), but something tells me that judging these THINKFilm movies by their...ummm...Direct-to-DVD covers will reward you with average at best experiences (just like The Insatiable).

5.0 out of 5 stars A succubus you can't trust, September 19, 2007
Okay I watched the film & I'm not going to get real specific because I
don't want to give away too much.

Pros: Cast. Lead by Sean Patrick Flanery whom I've liked since Powder.
He's great in this playing an introverted Superintendent and his
apartment complex. That's only his part time job though. His day job is
at some sort of steel parts office/warehouse. Michael of course adds
grit & depth as a paraplegic Vampire hunter. Brad Rowe has a small but
memorable part as a convenience store clerk.

Plot. I like the direction of the storyline. I wasn't sure at first but
it takes unexpected turns & with a pleasant surprise sort of ending-it
rounds out things nicely. If you mesh Hellraiser, Bram Stoker's
Dracula, and Grease 2, here's what you would have. (no it's not a
musical) but there are elements from these 3 movies that I found here.

Cons: The size of Michael's role. After Michael joins the film at about
25 minutes-it seems he's going to have a huge part but doesn't.
Although I enjoy the plot turns of the film-it kind of prevents
Michael's part from being bigger.

Acting. Not real happy with the female vampire's acting or Harry's
(Sean Patrick Flanery) mean co-worker. Although I think she improved as
the movie developed, I don't think his got better.

All in all it was enjoyable, I'm happy with the result, and I'm glad I
finally own it. It's not one of Michael's best nor is it one of his
worst films. It would fall somewhere in the middle. As far as movies go
it's a 10/10 because I'm biased but within only Michael's movies for a
rating I'd say 6/10.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally..., July 7, 2008
Adam B. Krenn (Las Vegas, NV United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Insatiable (DVD)
...a vampire film that doesn't suck (ok, pun intended). If you have read the wonderful (yet hard to find) Vampire novel; The Vampire Tapestry, then this film will seem very familiar. What is important to note is this movie is free of the Made for TV cheese and the Hyper Goth/Romanti-Erotic BS so common in most modern Vampire stories. Without giving too much away, it is the perceived and then logically deduced relationship of the human regarding his Vampire captive that truly make this movie above even most higher budget Vampire films. Sure, the production value is weak at times and gaps in the character's logic (well, one character named Javi, anyway) but I have to applaud the writer/director's desire to show a vampire as a cold and calculating hunter with a shadow of it's once human life. The leads are both actually quite good as is Michael Biehn in the only really good supporting role in the film. Great stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly enjoyable, Original Vampire Story, March 15, 2010
Monty Moonlight (Austin, TX, U.S.A.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Insatiable (DVD)
Young Indiana Jones star Sean Patrick Flanery is Harry Balbo, a lonely and defeated office worker whose life takes a spiral even further downward when he witnesses a man being attacked by a beautiful female vampire(Charlotte Ayanna) on a city street. He eventually attempts to hunt the vampire but is too softhearted to kill her, leading him down the dangerous path of caging the creature and keeping it alive in his basement. Harry doesn't know what to do now that he has the lovely beast at his mercy. He can't free her, he can't kill her, and her hunger for blood is insatiable.

If you're a fan of vampire movies, you probably understand the frustration of trying to find a good one amongst all the many films out there today. In the direct-to-video market, it seems particularly unlikely, but "Insatiable" is a wonderful surprise. It's an original and engaging story that keeps you entertained and curious about what will happen next. Not that it's entirely unpredictable, but it still manages to surprise you at times. Decent writing and great acting add up to a very entertaining evening with this one. Quite simply, it's a surprisingly good movie, one that I've enjoyed watching more than once. I first caught it on television a couple of times, and when I saw it for sale at a nice price, I had to pick it up. You'll particularly enjoy this one if you are a Flanery fan or can just relate to being the lonely guy who can't catch a break. The DVD holds the film's trailer and others from the same company, but that's the extent of the bonus features. The presentation is widescreen, as it should be, and if you like vampire films, I highly recommend adding this one to your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh so sexy Vampire movie, July 21, 2011
This review is from: The Insatiable (DVD)
This is a great movie. Charlotte Ayanna is the sexy vampire and Sean Patrick Flanery is the socialy shy manager of the apartment building he lives in. He witnesses the vampire kill a homeless man and in that moment is live is changed forever. Michael Biehn is the paralyzed vietman vet who has devoted his life to tracking down vampires. I just loved the ending of the movie and can't wait to watch it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Suprisingly good vampire film., January 26, 2011
This review is from: The Insatiable (DVD)
The Insatiable is a rather original vampire film, I watch allot of them and I have not seen a story quite like this before. The movie is about a shy, timid man who get targeted by a beautiful vampire woman. Like in many films the nobody turned protagonist teams up with a vampire hunter and get advice on how to kill the creature, but when push comes to show our hero is incapable of killing the lovely Tatiana, instead he takes her captive, to prevent her from killing more people and most of the movie is about the protagonist, Harry, falling for his supernatural prisoner and about how far he is willing to go to keep her alive.

At times the Insatiable is a little long drawn, the acting is rather uneven, it go from awful to pretty good. It is also obvious that this film had rather low production value so do not expect Hollywood quality, however when all is said and done I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. Allot of cheap vampire films is about nudity and gore, The Insatiable however is more about the strange relationship which develops between Tatiana and Harry. I really enjoyed watching this movie, for what it is this movie is very good, the story is interesting and the characters are involving.

This movie do not have much gore, so if that is what you are after this is probably not for you, The Insatiable is more drama than traditional horror, and oddly enough it is one of the few movies who actually manages to portray vampires as tragic, and that without getting all emo about it. If you are looking for vampire movie with an original plot and which are a little different from the rest then you can definitely do worse than The Insatiable.

I love watching B horror movies, one of the joys of this movie is discovering gems that have passed under the mainstream radar. The Insatiable is definitely one such gem, sure the movie have it's flaws, but all in all it is a good, solid, satisfying vampire movie, and one I am sure I will be watching more than once, I am glad I bought this DVD.

4.0 out of 5 stars 13th review, August 21, 2008
PJR (Minneapolis, Minnesota United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Insatiable (DVD)
The horror of obsession to the point of self-destruction is what this film was about for me.

I am the 13th reviewer and the other reviews give a good idea of the film, but I think I can add a few things.

Boy, I can imagine all sorts of different reactions to this film! I suppose I could get into a mood where I could get a lot of laughs out of it, thinking, "That dumb nerd was so hard up that he let some sexy chick lead him around by "the nose" and drag him down even though he knew she was a vampire. It was hysterical!"

Or, I could get into a mood where I would say, "This is just an example of how guys so typically go crazy over sex and can't think straight. Sure. But there could have been more blood and less talk, dude."

But actually I was in a mood to find it extremely creepy. There have been a lot of films about how guys can be driven into terrible compulsions by sex or some emotional longing. Baby Doll comes to mind. Rain/Miss Sadie Thompson. Reflections in a Golden Eye. Apartment Zero. We can all think of films we have seen. And terrible crimes of passion are on the TV every day. The hungry heart commonly makes fools of people and even criminals and this is an important theme about human nature that has been worked and reworked.

This film could be placed in that genre but is distinctive in a few ways. Obviously using a captive vampire as the object of desire should get an A for imagination and taking risks.

Also, there was indeed a lot of talk, and that worked for me. Without the dialogue the basic theme of a lonely guy falling for a vampire would have been over the top and probably not very interesting to me personally. The mind games that the vampire played with Harry were interesting to follow, as well as the mind games that he was playing with himself and his struggles with denial and rationalization. The film did not stoop to hamming this up and the director and actors did a pretty darned good job playing it straight. I very much appreciated the drama taking place in the mind games in the dialogue. There were some moral dilemmas and conflicts of interest with some substance to them and I wondered how they would come out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Underated Horror/Comedy Gem, May 27, 2008
This review is from: The Insatiable (DVD)
Folks, you need to see this film in its unrated entirety. "The Insatiable" has subtle humor, goofy dialogue, hilariously stereotyped heroes and villains, an attractive lady vampire, and an attitude. You just know there's a sequel to come, and hopefully it will get a general release at theaters. I've noticed that only a few video store chains are renting "The Insatiable", but it's doing good business at those places. The Sci/Fi channel has shown the PG version, which is incomprehensible. Rent "The Insatiable", friends, and see for yourselves. Don Delaney, McAllen, Texas

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun movie and nice quirk on the vampire legend., January 28, 2013
This review is from: The Insatiable (DVD)
This is a movie for vampire fans definitely. The variation on the legend in this production adds to its believability. The two leads are excellent. It is also kind of a tribute to nerds everywhere. The male lead is your classic "amiable" personality type played to perfection by Flanery. You really feel for him. The female lead is so hot! At first she is ruthless but then one starts to like her and we find ourselves in the same trap as the main character. He knows she is evil but he can't kill her. His solution is the great twist of the movie. There is also a great pun in the final scenes. I am sure some won't like this movie but I loved it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Insatiable
The Insatiable by Chuck Konzelman (DVD - 2006)
$9.98