Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Instruments Of Classical Music: The Oboe
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

The record presents the oboe very well. Price can't be beat too. Oboe music is always enjoyable (well, that's somewhat subjective, of course, but if you like oboe, you'll like this collection).

Just a small caution: this is a study aid sort of thing. I find listening to fragments of music -- frequently very familiar music -- somewhat distressful because of this coitus interruptus sorta feeling, kind of like when in the middle of Watermusik the Dying Swan piece suddenly heaves into sight.

In other words, this is a perfect CD for teaching kids the orchestra, but if you simply want some oboe music for pleasure, then I'd recommend to pick something else; for example "The Handel Collection" (a pretty old record), by The City of London Sinfonia (cond. John Rutter), 1990 American Gramaphone Records -- it is a collection too, but not excerpts, pieces are played fully, and the performance is sometimes better. It's just one example; I have it handy so I've mentioned it, that's all. I don't like listening to excerpts, that's what I'm trying to say. But I'm not saying this CD's bad, it's very good for orchestra studies.
on December 20, 2012
5 STARS AGAIN because once again another bargain.To me this like a music samples cd rather than a best of or greatest hits cds. This cd sounds clear with almost no hiss,this is worth the price.This is perfect for those to sample muisc.
VINE VOICEon June 16, 2011
I picked up the entire series of 'Instruments of Classical Music' and this is one of them. It's an excellent entry, looking at an instrument that I'm not that familiar with. The producers pick great examples of this instrument to feature, including works by such masters as Beethoven, Vivaldi, and Mozart. The playing is wonderful, the sound quality fantastic, and music choices very good.

I'd recommend this disc to both listeners just starting out as well as those very familiar with classical music per se. It's an excellent buy.
on August 13, 2009
This album features the excerpts from various recordings, originally on the Capriccio label. The solo pieces feature the great former East-Germany oboist Burkhard Glaetzner. He has a stunning technique and is very expressive, although some may be taken aback by his rather dry tone and over-expressiveness. The orchestral excerpts feature orchestras recorded by Capriccio.

All in all, a great introduction to the oboe (particularly at this price). For easy, background listening type of an oboe CD, you may consider this recent album by the great Australian oboist Diana Doherty:

Souvenirs
on March 12, 2013
I bought nine cd s of the series "Instruments of classical music" about the time cds first came out. The only one I was missing was volume 2, The Oboe. Not long ago, I searched for it on a whim. I never expected to find it. It's a great cd.
on January 8, 2007
I really love the music on this CD.

I just cant stop listening to this. If you enjoy classical music. You will like this CD and if you would like a introduction to classical music than this is the CD for you.

(If you find that you dont like it, you have not spent a lot of money on it).

Enjoy :-)
on April 20, 2016
Not what I thought it would be;sounds like soprano oboe,not the deeper sound I looked for.Donated the disc.
on June 14, 2004
I really enjoyed this! It was really great for all oboe and classical music lovers! Very Very Nice!
on February 18, 2016
I love good Oboe music. This soothes the senses.
on April 26, 2015
Beautiful performances of beautiful pieces.