5.0 out of 5 stars Good for orchestra studies
The record presents the oboe very well. Price can't be beat too. Oboe music is always enjoyable (well, that's somewhat subjective, of course, but if you like oboe, you'll like this collection).

Published on July 23, 2005 by J Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt

3.0 out of 5 stars Interested oboe player
It is a fine collection of oboe pieces, and I really enjoy listening to them. The only complaint I have is that the case was broken when it got here (I'm not sure if it was before it was shipped or not).
Published on May 13, 2007 by Anna Caroline Lane

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for orchestra studies, July 23, 2005
This review is from: The Instruments Of Classical Music: The Oboe (Audio CD)

Just a small caution: this is a study aid sort of thing. I find listening to fragments of music -- frequently very familiar music -- somewhat distressful because of this coitus interruptus sorta feeling, kind of like when in the middle of Watermusik the Dying Swan piece suddenly heaves into sight.

In other words, this is a perfect CD for teaching kids the orchestra, but if you simply want some oboe music for pleasure, then I'd recommend to pick something else; for example "The Handel Collection" (a pretty old record), by The City of London Sinfonia (cond. John Rutter), 1990 American Gramaphone Records -- it is a collection too, but not excerpts, pieces are played fully, and the performance is sometimes better. It's just one example; I have it handy so I've mentioned it, that's all. I don't like listening to excerpts, that's what I'm trying to say. But I'm not saying this CD's bad, it's very good for orchestra studies.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great album for all oboe lovers, August 13, 2009
This review is from: The Instruments Of Classical Music: The Oboe (Audio CD)
This album features the excerpts from various recordings, originally on the Capriccio label. The solo pieces feature the great former East-Germany oboist Burkhard Glaetzner. He has a stunning technique and is very expressive, although some may be taken aback by his rather dry tone and over-expressiveness. The orchestral excerpts feature orchestras recorded by Capriccio.

All in all, a great introduction to the oboe (particularly at this price). For easy, background listening type of an oboe CD, you may consider this recent album by the great Australian oboist Diana Doherty:

Souvenirs

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great CD for a Great Price, January 8, 2007
This review is from: The Instruments Of Classical Music: The Oboe (Audio CD)
I really love the music on this CD.

I just cant stop listening to this. If you enjoy classical music. You will like this CD and if you would like a introduction to classical music than this is the CD for you.

(If you find that you dont like it, you have not spent a lot of money on it).

Enjoy :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars NOT BAD AT ALL, December 20, 2012
michael mailey (philadelphia,pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Instruments Of Classical Music: The Oboe (Audio CD)
5 STARS AGAIN because once again another bargain.To me this like a music samples cd rather than a best of or greatest hits cds. This cd sounds clear with almost no hiss,this is worth the price.This is perfect for those to sample muisc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Entry in the Series, June 16, 2011
Scott FS (Sacramento, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Instruments Of Classical Music: The Oboe (Audio CD)
I picked up the entire series of 'Instruments of Classical Music' and this is one of them. It's an excellent entry, looking at an instrument that I'm not that familiar with. The producers pick great examples of this instrument to feature, including works by such masters as Beethoven, Vivaldi, and Mozart. The playing is wonderful, the sound quality fantastic, and music choices very good.

I'd recommend this disc to both listeners just starting out as well as those very familiar with classical music per se. It's an excellent buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wounederbar, now I have the whole collection!, March 12, 2013
This review is from: The Instruments Of Classical Music: The Oboe (Audio CD)
I bought nine cd s of the series "Instruments of classical music" about the time cds first came out. The only one I was missing was volume 2, The Oboe. Not long ago, I searched for it on a whim. I never expected to find it. It's a great cd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, June 14, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Instruments Of Classical Music: The Oboe (Audio CD)
I really enjoyed this! It was really great for all oboe and classical music lovers! Very Very Nice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Oboe cd, January 11, 2007
C. Evans (Northeastern, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Instruments Of Classical Music: The Oboe (Audio CD)
This cd took a little while to be delivered (a few weeks) but it was in excellent condition. I bought it along with another oboe cd so it could be that one of them was out of stock and they waited for that so that both could be shipped at the same time (which was fine with me).

3.0 out of 5 stars Interested oboe player, May 13, 2007

1.0 out of 5 stars CD not working, June 9, 2010
This review is from: The Instruments Of Classical Music: The Oboe (Audio CD)
I had bought this Cd as a Christmas gift for my son who plays the oboe. By the time Christmas arrived and he opened the Cd, a couple of months had already passed. To my great disappointment we found that the Cd does not work. We tried to clean it but still no result. Unfortunately the time limit when we could return the item had passed. Therefore we have not had the privilege to hear this Cd.

The Instruments Of Classical Music: The Oboe
The Instruments Of Classical Music: The Oboe by Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach (Audio CD - 1990)