As an introverted professional, you're bright, ambitious, and ready to get ahead despite a business world that often favors extroversion. Whether you seek a flourishing practice, a promotion, meaningful projects, or to become a respected leader, you want to optimize your career without compromising your basic quiet personality.
This is the first book to explicitly address introversion as it relates to a broad range of professional dynamics in the workplace. It not only covers the topic in detail but provides a comprehensive professional development program.
In this book, business behavior expert and introvert Joyce Shelleman, Ph.D. presents a straightforward three step strategy - grounded in behavioral science and drawn from experience - to deploy your introversion as the vital professional asset that it is. With this roadmap to navigate successfully to your goals, you learn to:
- Recognize and adroitly push back to overcome the unwritten workplace rules that put introverts at a disadvantage
- Build your influence, lasting connections, and professional network with integrity, guided by your personal values
- Let your quiet competence, expertise, and thoughtfulness be your leadership and career edge
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Focus your precious energy and time on what matters most
Part I Claim Your Identity
1. Are You an Insightful Expert?
2. How Being a Professional Creates Challenges for an Insightful Expert
3. What is Introversion?
4. Introvert or Extrovert?
5. Introversion in the Professional Workplace
6. The Third Eye Framework: A Strategic Roadmap to Professional Success
Part II Create Impetus
7. Develop Your Plan
8. How Planned Change Happens
9. Muster Courage to Take Action
10. Values = Meaning (and Motivation)
11. Raise Your Self-Awareness
12. From Experience Comes Confidence
13. No Longer Hidden and Blind: Self-Disclosure as a Path to Connection
14. Emotional Intelligence: The Insightful Expert's Secret Tool
15. Get to Specifics: Identify and Target Your Stakeholders
16. Learn to Exercise Your Power and Influence Others
17. From Impetus to Interfaces
Part III Structure Your Interfaces
18. Do Your Research
19. Decide on the Rules
21. From Interfaces to Internal Capability
Part IV Build Your Internal Capability
22. Manage Your Energy
23. Networking Made Simple
24. How to Participate in Teams and Lead Them Effectively
25. Communication Basics
26. Listening is Communication
27. Communication Reciprocity
28. Assertive Interactions
29. Communicate to Connect
30. Social Anxiety: Nothing to Shy Away From
31. From Internal Capability to Third Eye Expert
Part V Choices and Challenges
32. The Dark Side of Introversion?
33. Sandwiched by Introverts: Dealing with Introverted Staff, Bosses, and Colleagues
34. Career Choices and Strategies
35. Right Livelihood
36. Behold Your Leadership