5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for children
While hiking in the Canadian Rockies, we saw inuksuk along the trails. Their beauty and the fact that people had expressed themselves by creating art out of rock, rather than defacing the area, added greatly to our enjoyment of the outings.
Published on September 2, 2000 by Paula Ferreby

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so much Inuksuk
This book has some very nice artwork, but I found it had little to do with Inuksuk. It might be better titled as a young person's book on the Canadian Arctic. 'Very touchy-feely, with little hard information.
Published 11 months ago by fsdbm

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for children, September 2, 2000
Paula Ferreby (Ashland, KY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Inuksuk Book (Paperback)
When I found the book "Inuksuk," I immediately purchased it. After reading it, I purchased four more copies. "Inuksuk" can be read and looked at from many angles. It will be a perfect gift for friends with "soul" and for children who I hope will grow up with an appreciation of nature and art.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, Mesmerizing!, October 10, 2002
This review is from: The Inuksuk Book (Hardcover)
This gorgeously illustrated book is one of the most appealing books I have read about the Far North. It highlights the ingenuity of a people who live in a demanding environment.
One of the things about the book I really enjoyed was the use of the Inuit alphabet to caption the beautiful pictures. There is a dictionary of sounds and words in the back, which can be used for kids to write their own names in Inuit.
There is also a guide to making your own Inuksuk in the back.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCITING ART shared by our INUIT NEIGHBORS, April 15, 2005
mcHaiku "nmi" (Brown County INDIANA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Inuksuk Book (Hardcover)
The towering 'INUKSUK' (ee-nook-sook) pictured on the cover of Mary Wallace's book introduces readers to a world of earth-bound 'signposts' in the arctic - - and MUCH MORE! In their varied forms the inuksuk may be intended as markers for caches of food, to advise hunters of directions, or to symbolize persons being memorialized. The last is an idea that could be used by students who want to follow the author's instructions for building a personal inuksuk. Another structure is shown serving as a road map to a traveler's next destination. It is not only a potential life-saver but makes a beautiful statement in the barren landscape.

Living in the Arctic means acquiring techniques for survival. Outsiders must acclimate themselves in a short time and this can be unsettling! For many decades the U.S. War Dept. funded studies in climatology, resulting in proper clothing & more nutritious feeding of troops. One more way in which we have benefited from the insights of our neighbors to the north.

"The Inuksuk Book" has many striking silk paintings with a gorgeous rainbow of colors that reflect the beauty of the 'Northern Lights' (Aurora Boralis). These inspire an admiration for the mystery of the far north. Contemporary photographs and those from earlier years also enhance the text. Teachers often expand a study unit to include Eskimo/Inuit art. How fortunate the young people who become acquainted with the figures beautifully sculpted from walrus tusks and soapstone. Amazing artistry is evident in works created during the long winters north of Hudson's Bay.

REVIEWER mcHAIKU marvels at the skills & imagination of the Inuit people and cheers author Mary Wallace for sharing.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to keep from getting lost in the Arctic, February 10, 2009
This review is from: The Inuksuk Book (Wow Canada! Collection) (Paperback)
I learned of the Inuksuk when I visited the Canadian Rockies 2 years ago. They were the talk of the shopkeepers since they will be the next symbol for the 2010 Winter Olympics. They represent the markers that were used as landmarks to mark the way in this land of permafrost and snow.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Inuksuk Book, May 6, 2014
This review is from: The Inuksuk Book (Hardcover)
This book contains a lot of interesting information about the Inuksuk that is difficult to find elsewhere. It also has lots of excellent pictures to go with the descriptions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvelous learning, April 8, 2014
This review is from: The Inuksuk Book (Wow Canada! Collection) (Paperback)
Where my eldest grandson attends school (kindergarten), a lesson in Inuksuk is taught. The class built one for the school raffle, and each child created his/her own. My grandson asked if we could build one in my backyard, and create a waterfall around it. Of course, I answered "yes". This book proved to be a valuable learning resource for both my grandson and me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so much Inuksuk, July 29, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great book!, April 26, 2013
K. Volz (Rolla, MO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Inuksuk Book (Paperback)
My son became intrigued with inuksuk when doing a report on Inuit culture for 5th grade social his social studies class. He was fascinated to see there were so many different kinds of inuksuk. The photos and explanations are really cool -- interesting to both me and my son. It was also really neat to see the inuit text. Just a great book overall.

3.0 out of 5 stars Inuksuk, May 27, 2012
This review is from: The Inuksuk Book (Wow Canada! Collection) (Paperback)
The description did not indicate that it was a children's/young person's publication, so I was somewhat disappointed. Nevertheless the book was quite informative.

The Inuksuk Book (Wow Canada! Collection)
The Inuksuk Book (Wow Canada! Collection) by Mary Wallace (Paperback - August 3, 2004)
$13.95 $11.06