6,301 Reviews
 (4,692)
 (1,147)

1,343 of 1,408 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Version without Oprah's Notes is Available!
Published 8 months ago by mary gawne

1,812 of 1,878 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Hugely disappointed in Oprah, not Sue Monk Kidd
Published 8 months ago by John P Lawrence

1,812 of 1,878 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Hugely disappointed in Oprah, not Sue Monk Kidd, January 10, 2014
I want to add my voice to the legions who are disappointed in this purchase because of the Oprah comments. If I had known the book was going to be formatted this way, I NEVER would have bought it. EVER. Imagine sitting down to read one of your favorite authors, and just as the book is pulling you in, someone interrupts you. And then again. And again. It's HORRID. I wouldn't mind reading Ms. Winfrey's comments once I had a chance to enjoy the book and form my OWN impressions, but this is insulting. It speaks to the enormity of Ms. Winfrey's ego that she thinks her words are as important as the author's. I think Amazon should give all of us disgruntled customers a chance to buy another edition, and "credit" us the amount we spent on this travesty.

1,125 of 1,164 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars Oprah's notes interfere, January 8, 2014
I would like to be able to eliminate Oprah's notes. They do not have importance to the interpretation of the text for this reader. Those comments get in the way of being able to read smoothly without interruption. I am really unhappy with the purchase of this e-book. I like the writing of Sue Monk Kidd and wish I had purchased this book in paper so that I could skip over Oprah's notes.

1,343 of 1,408 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Version without Oprah's Notes is Available!, January 11, 2014
I was able to purchase the Kindle version without Oprah's notes. Search for: The Invention of Wings A Novel Kindle Edition. The version named "The Invention of Wings: A Novel" is clean. Or go to the Oprah Book Club edition and click on the plus sign next to the Kindle Edition in the Formats box, which has the pricing for hardcover, audio, etc. Click on the picture of the book jacket to "Look Inside" to ensure that you are purchasing the copy without underlined passages and blue ink. This version is $11.99 as opposed to $11.24 for the version with Oprah's notes. Thanks to readers who posted this information. I would not have found this version without their help.

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazon needs to let you know this is the one with Oprah's notes in the title!!!, January 11, 2014
As soon as I started reading this book I noticed it was riddled with these blue notes which threw me off. After searching around I realized these were Oprah's notes. No where in the title or book cover did I see anything that suggested that this had Oprah's notes in it, so I returned the kindle book right away. I was very disappointed because I really like this author and wanted to read the book that SHE wrote and form my own opinions. Luckily a friend told me how I could get the book without Oprah's notes by pressing on the plus sign when ordering the book and getting the other edition. Now how many people are going to go back and do that, which is a shame, because so far it's a really good book without Oprah's input.
Amaon I'm ashamed at you, you should know better and the ones your going to hurt by doing this is the author because people will be returning ithe book once they figure out what they have or just won't buy it once the word gets out.
I feel bad for the author it really is a good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Story, Difficult Edition, January 9, 2014
I loved this story and I loved the writing. I am moved to explore more of the true story behind it. I wish it was available without Oprah's comments and highlights. It was annoying and difficult to navigate—especially at the beginning. I am a diehard Kindle reader. I have four Kindles, but I would recommend a hardcover edition until an Oprah free edition is available.

4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely love this book but…., January 8, 2014
I wish I could have gotten a kindle copy that didn't have Oprah's notes all over the place. I couldn't care less what Oprah thinks of this or any other book. It was very distracting to have her highlights and notes pop up all the time and then have to struggle to get back the just the regular book. The book itself is wonderful. Just don't get the "Oprah" copy. I know I never will again.

5.0 out of 5 stars There's No Pain on Earth That Doesn't Crave a Benevolent Witness, January 7, 2014
This review is from: The Invention of Wings: A Novel (Hardcover)
Amazing in every way, Sue Monk Kidd manages to excel in storytelling, character, and an inspiring if sorrowful message in her latest, "The Invention of Wings".

Wings is based loosely on the real-life story of Sarah Grimke, a Southern aristocrat whose father is a bigshot judge on South Carolina's Supreme Court, where Sarah wants to be eventually. She is given a slave (Handful) for her 11th birthday, which strikes the little firebrand as something ridiculous. How can someone OWN another person? She doesn't want the "gift" but she's forced to accept.

From there, the story is set in motion and follows the two women as they struggle for a common goal: freedom. Handful, naturally, struggles for her freedom from bondage, and Sarah for her freedom from the misogynist oppression of pre-suffrage era sexism. She's taught how to needlepoint and play piano, but she escapes her constrained existence by getting into her father's forbidden library and dreaming of great things like abolition work.

Kidd does a wonderful job portraying the barbarism of that time in American history and especially the horrid mistreatment of the slaves, graphically detailing whippings and other abuses. She also intertwines the characters beautifully in almost a female version of Huckleberry Finn.

I hadn't read Kidd's first book, but I will go back and read that based on my experience with Wings. I love books that explore deeper ideas than just entertaining plot. Wings explores ideas of freedom, gender roles, race relations, the law, and belief. The only other place I've seen this balance of emotion and ideas is in The Book Thief and the more recent Now and at the Hour of Our Death.

Amazing all around!

4.0 out of 5 stars Riveting but...., January 9, 2014
This is the first time I've read one of Oprah's Book Club books and was dismayed to find blue underlined paragraphs with Oprah'S comments among the pages. I found these distracting and added nothing to the story itself. Monk Kidd did an excellent job of weaving history with a potent story. I would highly recommend this book--but download a copy without the self-serving comments!

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this edition, January 11, 2014
andrea curcio (Atlanta, Ga United States) - See all my reviews
Oprah's highlights make this unreadable. Instead of the joy that comes from escaping with a good book I found myself getting really aggravated by Oprah's highlights. Does not make sense to spend precious free time being frustrated. Had to stop reading this book. Publisher should offer refunds or exchanges to all of us who had no idea we were buying a book with highlights that interrupt the story. Worst marketing idea ever.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oprah's Nettlesome Notes..., January 11, 2014
Thank you to the many who have warned about the manner in which Kindle edition of this book has been ruined by Oprah's notes. I very much wanted to read this book, but won't waste my money until the notes have been removed.

The Invention of Wings: A Novel
The Invention of Wings: A Novel by Sue Monk Kidd (Hardcover - January 7, 2014)
$27.95 $16.71