5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for comforting kids after loss
Published on May 22, 2008 by JM2K8

3.0 out of 5 stars Be aware of references to heaven
Published 21 months ago by T. S.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for comforting kids after loss, May 22, 2008
JM2K8 (Northern VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Invisible String (Hardcover)
I highly recommend this book. A friend of mine bought it for my 4 year old son during our first Christmas without Daddy, who we lost to cancer. It was very comforting to my son and to me as well. I also really like the book because it is more about love than separation or loss and it gave my son a comforting way to think about his dad, even though we can't see him or talk to him anymore. It is a wonderful story and I highly recommend it to any parent who needs a way to comfort a child after a loss.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book to ease separation and explain love!, December 3, 2003
This review is from: The Invisible String (Hardcover)
The Invisible String is THE most requested book in our house, and has held this status for quite some time. The book was a lifesaver for our family when my husband was deployed for a year with the Air Force. The description of how people are connected by love over long distances is so well done and understandable that it helped my 3-year-old and 5-year-old know that they were still connected to their dad even though they couldn't see him. It sparked a nightly ritual of "pulling Dad's strings," and we could feel him pulling back. I recommend this book highly for any family that finds themselves separated from each other for any reason, and I think it should be standard issue to the families of any deployed military personnel. You won't regret buying this one -- in fact, you should buy two so you can give one as a gift!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story about love, January 22, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Invisible String (Hardcover)
This book is good for small children as well as those up to about 9 or 10. Expresses that distance and even death do not seperate those we love and who love us. Great if you or someone close to you are moving or if a loved one dies to explain how love works at a distance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Father of Sandy Hook child, January 31, 2013
This book was a very good read for my child during a very tough time. I would recommend it. Thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just a children's picture book!, November 18, 2002
Laura K. DeMeuse (Green Bay, Wisconsin United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Invisible String (Hardcover)
Although this book is meant to be read to children, I have given it as a gift to all of my closest friends and family members as a way to say "I'm so gald we're connected!" I also used its basic message to reassure my daughter that even though she was going off to all-day kindergarten, we would still be connected by our invisible strings. This is a very heart-warming story with a bigger message than appears on the surface.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invisible String, Tangible Results, March 19, 2011
Liz Clark (Rocky Mountains, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Invisible String (Hardcover)
I found The Invisible String recommended for children dealing with loss, separation, or grief; in our family, it has been very useful! We did change one bit of text: from "Uncle Brian in Heaven" to "Daddy in Heaven", to make it more applicable to the children involved. After reading through the book just once, all of the children (a set of five cousins, all 3 to 6 years old) had multiple cheerful conversations where they discussed all the invisible strings that connect each of them to those they love, even to those who have recently died. The concepts in the book are very gentle and kind, and the book uses a great amount of child-like hyperbole as the children in the story set out a series of far-fetched situations they think could pass the reach of their mother's invisible string... and of course, Mother assures them there is nowhere they can go that will be out of reach of her love. The story ends in a happy way, with the children reaching their own conclusions about being connected to loved ones.

I have a feeling this book will be a family favorite; it's a great addition to the family shelf, whether the children are dealing with mild separation anxiety, deployed loved ones, or the death of friends or family members. It will open doors to discuss loss in a framework of faith, as well, though the book is not specifically religious in nature. I found myself encouraged by the conversations that followed reading the book, in our little troupe of cousins. It seemed to give them a useful vocabulary to discuss their grief and sense of loss, while giving them a useful tool (that invisible string of love!) to verbalize their feelings.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very sweet book., October 26, 2009
Single Mom (Jerusalem, Israel) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Invisible String (Hardcover)
This is a very sweet book for children -- my kids and I enjoyed it immensely. It opened up a nice discussion about loving a parent who is not in the same country, as is the case for my children. I would highly recommend it for any child facing separation from a parent for any length of time. There are also no religious overtones, which is helpful, and the story features a mom and her twins, a boy and a girl, so the 3-member family structure is accepted as a given. My children identified with the kids, who want to be near their mother during a thunderstorm, and the mother came across as warm and loving. All in all a very nicely done book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invisible Strings keep us all connected with LOVE!, September 30, 2010
This review is from: The Invisible String (Hardcover)
A wonderful book for children of all ages who have issues with seperation of any type. When a family member or loved one is physically far from the child (living in another state, in the military, divorced, passed away, etc) THE INVISIBLE STRING always keeps them connected. I gave this book to my niece when she was young, with a map of the U.S.A. taped inside and a line (string) drawn from California to Tennessee, as we lived many miles apart, but were always connected with THE INVISIBLE STRING of love.

3.0 out of 5 stars Be aware of references to heaven, November 26, 2012
T. S. "T.S." (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Invisible String (Hardcover)
I wasn't crazy about this book for a couple of reasons. First, it starts out with the two kids being scared because there's a thunderstorm. We tell our daughter that thunder and lightning are parts of nature, and that they're nothing to be afraid of, so I'd rather she not be given an example of kids who are so scared of storms that they can't stay in bed. Second, this book talks about an uncle in heaven. If that fits with your views, no problem, but it doesn't fit with ours. Nonreligious/agnostic/secular parents should know the reference is there before buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Create a treasured gift, March 20, 2011
This review is from: The Invisible String (Hardcover)
I gave this book to my cousin's child who just turned 3 years old. I brought the book, unwrapped, to his family birthday party. On the end pages I wrote "We are all connected to you, Cooper, by invisible strings of love" Then I had his parents grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and others write their names on the pages. I hope his mother passes the book to others who were not there for them to sign. I hope this book will be a valued treasure for him in the next 40+ years, when some of us who signed are gone. When his mother read the book aloud to Cooper and the other children, they listened in rapt silence. I have already ordered copies for the other children in the family.

The Invisible String
The Invisible String by Patrice Karst (Hardcover - September 1, 2000)
$16.95 $12.20