5.0 out of 5 stars A Curious Effect
Published on June 18, 2012 by Jennifer Nightingale

3.0 out of 5 stars Unfinished
Enjoyed the book but couldn't believe it came to such a sudden end...if it was an actual book I would have been flipping pages to see where the rest was. Did I miss something?
Published 12 months ago by roseritag

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Curious Effect, June 18, 2012
"The Invisible Thread - a Journey Home", had a curious effect on me. The narrative of my own childhood is so inexorably interwoven with the author's stories that I couldn't help but relive them. As a member of the eccentric family across the street, I had a front row seat to some of the stories and heard others over the years through letters, phone calls and visits. I cannot pretend to be objective. Although I know these stories as if they were my own, the author has so masterfully retold these tales that I felt myself once again back in a landscape that I never thought I would revisit.
I can indeed attest that the world she recreated was a real one. I remember the fire trucks in the alley, the flashing lights and the smell of burning wood. I remember the gawking neighbors. I remember the gully as foreboding and filled with skunk cabbages, horsetails and blackberry brambles. I remember the tree house and how impressed I was that Beth was so brave and clever to build such a thing. What I didn't understand then were the demons that haunted her. For me the new glimpses into the author's interior self were illuminating. Yet I remember her as far more than the angry rebellious child she looks back upon. I remember that she could also be fun, encouraging and kind.

I was particularly moved by her story of the farmer's donkey. It was in this story that we see her put the well being of another before herself. She recognized that the poor creature was terribly misunderstood and had no advocate. She came to donkey's aid in a fashion that is nothing short of profound. She not only saw to it that he had nutrition, comfort and rest. She saw to it that he was understood and loved. Her description of time itself and of their parting was at once beautiful beyond measure and so heartbreaking. In that moment where she is lying in the field with the donkey under the wide blue sky, she showed a compassion that was far beyond her years and circumstances.

Elizabeth Wallace has an extraordinary tale to tell and like any good author, she does leave us wanting more.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fascinating Memoir, August 13, 2012
Elizabeth Wallace's memoir The Invisible Thread : A Journey Home tells the story of a young girl who is ripped away from a loving home by her biological mother and a mentally ill aunt. Young Elizabeth disposes of an extraordinary personal strength and is able to overcome the depressing reality of a vulnerable childhood in the US of the 1950s and 60s by a unique gift of fantasy and intelligence.

And the unbelievable comes true: In spite of the difficult constellation at home and limited financial means, Elizabeth, awakening her seemingly indifferent mother to the reality of her plight, is able to pursue her education in Ireland's dignified Kylemore Abbey and later becomes a pupil of Cork School of Music and the Royal Academy of Music in London.

It's a great account of in Irish-American career, but The Invisible Thread is much more: a great, sophisticated and warm book of a great writer which can only be paralleled by Frank McCourt's Angela's Ashes. In addition, Wallace introduces us into nightmarish and oppressive intimate play of an often ambivalent, always secretive, and ultimately supportive mother and daughter relationship.

The Irish and the Irish community in the US should be extremely interested in this very impressive story. If you read the book you see the move already in your inner eye.
I do see the film already.

Absolutely great! This subtle and complex book is irresistible, and as a reader I am asking myself one question: Has Hollywood called yet?

5.0 out of 5 stars A Courageous Opus, July 17, 2013
I loved The Invisible Thread: A Journey Home. From opening pages to the last, I was completely drawn in, and didn't want my journey as "passenger" with the author to end... Reading Elizabeth Wallace's story was like listening to a beautiful and evocative piece of music: smooth and lyrical, with great dynamic range in emotion. Her writing style is wonderful. This autobiography is powerful, poignant, tragic, and ultimately triumphant. An empathic reader bears witness to a courageous opus, which by virtue of its narrative, becomes Beth's profound path to healing .

5.0 out of 5 stars a journey to human hearts, January 5, 2013
This review is from: The Invisible Thread: A Journey Home (Kindle Edition)
Very talented,touching, sensitive, story, written by cultured, clever ,could say musical English language. You never want to stop reading , would like to know more and more about this extraordinary girl ,and her family. Looking forward to read continuing ,as fast as possible. Please, dear writer do not stop ,give a life to the next book. Thank you very much.

4.0 out of 5 stars It was good and it was different., April 25, 2013
This review is from: The Invisible Thread: A Journey Home (Kindle Edition)
It was good and had a surprised ending, Some people have great strength and can roll with the punches. You never know what life is going to present.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, October 5, 2013
This review is from: The Invisible Thread: A Journey Home (Kindle Edition)
Inspiring true story that rises above racial boundaries. A story of unconditional love and acceptance. I recommend it to all readers .

4.0 out of 5 stars Facinating Memoir, August 16, 2012
Ms (Andover, Morocco) - See all my reviews
I found myself captivated by the life of Elizabeth Wallace. Her journey from a tumultuous childhood to accomplished artist is one that both saddened me and reminded me of the strength of the human spirit. As mothers we mold and shape our children without conscious thought, and it is up to them to find their true self. Elizabeth uses her life to demonstrate this through effective imagery and wonderful writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, March 18, 2014
It was an excellent book, I could not put it down, I read it in 4 days. I also recommended it to all my friends and co workers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, January 24, 2013
This review is from: The Invisible Thread: A Journey Home (Kindle Edition)
I loved reading this story of genuine reality .... how one person who reached out changed the life of another individual. Well written, easy read ... a book I couldn't put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good book, July 27, 2012
This is an excellent book! It is a page turner, very interesting journey in both body and spirit. It made me read a National Geographic book about Western Ireland, and also Great Britain, and look up all the places that Elizabeth went to on the various maps. Highly recommended!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›