Industrial Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now Tikes

on July 5, 2011
I wasn't sure what to expect when I read this book but I must say that after reading it, it has truly opened my eyes to new realities and perspectives concerning spiritual topics such as angels, demons, fallen mankind, the ongoing battle for souls and grace. The chapter that outlines the three tactics that the devil and his demons use to win souls was worth the price of the book alone. Although the book does not contain many spiritual references, any reader guided by the Holy Spirit will discern the truths that it contains. Not an advanced theological work, it is compelling none-the-less and would be a great refresher course for practicing Christians and a real eye opener for new or fallen away Christians. Faith is required to believe anything concerning spirituality so if you read the book purely from a secular viewpoint then you will probably walk away disappointed. For me personally, it has strengthened my faith in God and spiritual realities and to that end I say to the author, "Good job!". I am now reading this book to my children.
on May 5, 2011
The title of Anthony Destefano's new release, The Invisible World: Understanding Angels, Demons and the Spiritual Realities That Surround Us would seem to make a grandiose claim. Does this book deliver on its promise?

With an undeniably engaging style, the author gives his take on subjects like premonitions, angels, demons, spiritual warfare, grace, suffering, heaven and hell. While on the whole, this book may inform readers who need to be made aware of spiritual realities (and some points of apologetics were well-stated) it raised some concerns for me. First, let me state that my remarks should be taken with the understanding that I don't need convincing of the validity of the spiritual world or the viability of miracles. I agree with Mr. Destefano on these points.

I appreciate the author's intelligence, which is evident in the unique perspective he brings to his subjects. He'll make you think. However, examples are often given without documentation. In the opening chapter, for example, the author cites the case of a little girl who, while ready to undergo risky brain surgery, receives a visit from a pretty nurse who tells her she's all healed. And she is. An MRI shows no trace of the brain tumor the doctors plan to remove. No one knows who the mysterious nurse was. That's an impressive story but it would have been more powerful had the author included documentation.

The reader is asked to embrace some radical ideas. Here's a quote from the chapter entitled "Invisible Helpers." "Right now, as you're reading these words, there is an angel right next to you." The author goes on to state that "throughout sacred Scripture we find it implied that each of us has our own angel watching over us in a highly unique and personal manner." I won't argue for or against the existence of guardian angels here. Rather, I wonder why the author gave no Scriptures to back up his point. In fact, throughout most of the book the reader is asked to accept the author's remarks as fact with little to no substantiation. Am I the only one who finds this a potentially-dangerous practice?

I don't want to cast aspersions on Mr. Destefano's intentions or doctrine, although I don't always agree with what he says. I just wish he would have more clearly labeled his opinions as opinion. He does do this occasionally but not nearly enough. I like that he presented the gospel message in a unique and beautiful way.

If you are spiritually mature and able to measure what you read against Scripture, I think you can benefit from reading The Invisible World. The author's remarks on heaven are worth the purchase price of the book. However, a reader who is uncertain of Biblical truth would be better off to read the Bible itself.

©2011 Janalyn Voigt, author of novel books

My thanks to the publisher for a complimentary copy of this book given for purposes of review.
on April 23, 2011
Life isn't just what you see with your eyes. It's not just what you touch with your hands. The iceberg principle applies to everything in the world. So much that's real is under the surface. So much that's true is hidden and unseen.

God knows what he's doing. He knows what works and what doesn't work. And suffering works. During his passion, Christ experienced every kind of suffering imaginable. He suffered humiliation and embarrassment, mental anguish and emotional stress, sorrow and loneliness and depression; he suffered searing physical pain throughout his entire body, from his feet to his legs to his back to his chest to his hands to all his joints. The crown of thorns digging into his scalp felt as painful as any migraine headache, and the horrible suffocating sensation he felt hanging on the cross was as bad as any respiratory ailment. He went through it all. And in some mysterious way, when he cried out to Heaven: "My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?" he even experienced the nothingness and emptiness and black hopelessness of the unbeliever. At that moment, it can actually be said that God himself felt something of what it's like to be an atheist. Yes, Christ even went through that.

Why did he endure so much? For the simple reason that wanted to unite himself to us. He wanted to feel our pain in the same way that we feel it. By experiencing all the different kinds of anguish that we go through, Christ gave meaning to human suffering. Before Christ, all suffering was worthless. On a purely natural level, it may have helped people to grow and mature (as it still does today), but it had no spiritual value whatsoever. When Christ used suffering to save the world, he transformed it into a weapon to combat evil. And thus the reason for being invisible. If God was visible we would fear Him and what He could do because we would know He is in fact real. By being invisible, God is trusting us to making a conscience decision to believe in Him because He is God.(pg 155).

In the book The Invisible World by Anthony DeStefano, we are given an insider's look into the why's of angels, demons, spiritual warfare, and our souls as he explains just why these things are visible to us. I believe he makes a compelling argument for the reasons behind the fall of the angels, what God's purpose was in creating them and why there is such conflict in our world today. I love the message he shared that was quoted above from the book as to God's presence and why it was necessary to go through suffering and restore opportunity for eternal life for all of us once more.

I received this book compliments of B & B Media Group for my honest review and thoroughly enjoyed the insights offered by Anthony DeStefano into the inner workings of the unseen world around us. This book rates 5 out of 5 stars and would highly recommend this book to anyone looking for the explanation about the invisible world.

This book is available as a hardcover book and in eReader formats.
VINE VOICEon April 5, 2011
The Invisible World, Understanding Angels, Demons, and the Spiritual Realities that Surround Us by Anthony Destefano is an easy to read tutorial of the spiritual realm. If you are not well versed on the unseen then this may be a good book for you to read. I agreed with most of this book and thought the teaching on demons, the devil and hell were very informative. What I didn't agree with is that our "guardian angels" are able to talk to us and warn us about things. What the author describes as inner promptings and attributes to angels I've always felt was the Holy Spirit, God dwelling within us, that speaks to warn us or prompt us to do good. What I did appreciate is how easy this book was to read and understand. I finished it in a little under two hours (two days worth of walking on the treadmill). Nothing in it was scary, nor was it meant to be. If you want to know more about the workings of the spirit realm then I suggest that you read this book. Destefano explores heaven and hell in this book. He also talks about how everything we do in this life has an eternal consequence.
on December 25, 2013
Some of the reviews of this book I find troubling. Ignorance will get you killed. Man is born into a world far more deadly than you can imagine. Clearly, this book gives you a view of the battlefield in which we live. If anything can be drawn from this book, it is that you need God every moment of every day. Our faith and God's grace being our only hope. This book is sobering to say the least. In simple terms the author points you where you need to be looking, Christ our God. This world is a mess because we do lose sight of spiritual warfare all around us. If anything is made clear in this book, it is our absolute dependence on God for "running the good race."
on August 13, 2011
I just have one thought. After reading the book, how does the author know all of these things to be true?
on June 19, 2011
This is a strangely compelling book. Growing up in the church I have always "believed" that angels and demons exists because the Bible says they do. However you never really talk about that sort of thing in polite Christian circles because... well I don't know why. This book was interesting, witty and I love that he includes the human soul and God's grace in his line-up of topics to touch on! I look forward to recommending this book to others.
on November 9, 2013
The Invisible World by Anthony DeStefano

Several years back, I stopped at a garage sale in the town that I grew up in. I found a book by DeStefano that I bought and gave to an older African-American woman at work whom I consider a sort of spiritual mentor. She and I had often talked about religion , and I thought she might enjoy the book. Anthony DeStafno has a gift for explaining spiritual topics in plain English. Your head won't be spinning if you read this book. I know that this is a hard book to swallow in this materialistic, anti-relgious time we are living in. De Stefano writes in the 2nd chapter "It's hard to imagine how we can even hope to grasp-with our tiny intellects-something as sublime and infinite as the mind of God." He's right. The other side of that coin is that most people don't even try, nor do most non-religious "think" that their egotistical intellects are tiny.
In the same chapter (kindle Loc. 246) he writes "As a people we've grown so smart and smug. It's not so much that we're more intelligent than those who lived before us-we're not-it's that we think we have access, through technology and the Internet, to all human knowledge, indeed, to most (if not all) of the secrets of the universe." He also writes "We've all heard the complaint that "nothing is sacred anymore." In past decades this may have been an exaggeration. But what reasonable person could possibly deny its truth today?" What reasonable person could possibly deny that God is more maligned and mocked now than at any time in recent history?" To experience this, all one has to do is watch late night TV.
Chapter 3 is entitled Invisible Helpers - The World of the Angels. Chapter 4 Invisible Evil - The Devil and His Demons, DeStefano writes about the mind of the devil and how he operates. In Chapter 5 - The Invisible Soul - he writes "We all know instinctively that there are really two worlds-an outside world and an inside world. And what happens on the inside is every bit as real and true as what happens on the outside. Sometimes more so." Later in the same chapter, he writes "C.S. Lewis once said that there is no such thing as an "ordinary human being." Every single person you encounter is destined to be either a king or a queen in Heaven - or a wretched slave in hell."....and later "Just as C.S. Lewis said there was no such thing as an "ordinary" person, so there's no such thing as a truly "peaceful day." In Chapter 6 (Invisible Warfare The Diabolical Battle for Souls) - DeStefano again writes about how demons operate; "What demons therefore specialize in doing is making suggestions to our psyches. They essentially smuggle thoughts into our brain and place images before our mind's eye." At location 1255 he writes "Ask anyone who has really suffered in life-especially anyone who has been at the mercy of a drug or alcohol or sexual addiction - ask them if they believe in the devil; ask them if they have any doubt whatsoever about the existence of a real, personal, evil, spiritual being who has entrapped and enslaved them and tortured them. See if they don't give you an answer that is totally different from what the skeptical academics will tell you." He then proceeds to tell a horror story about a teenage prostitute/heroin addict who is murdered by her pimp in a drug-fueled rage. At the end of the story he writes "And don't you forget-that's exactly where the devil wants your son or daughter-dead in a garbage can!"
He writes at Loc 1390 "If God is anything but number one in your life, then your priorities are screwed up-period." and "Selfishness, self-absorption and self-centeredness are qualities that invariably lead to loneliness and unhappiness." Again, turn on the TV and see if this isn't true. Chapter 7 Invisible Grace - the author writes (Loc. 1657) "The only traits God wants to eliminate are those that drag us down, those that enslave us and keep us from becoming who we're meant to be.....Grace is all about actualizing, to a degree not humanly possible, all your God-given potential." Chapter 8 - The Invisible Power of Suffering - the author writes "Crosses change us by ripping away all the nonsense and triviality and vanity and shallowness that surround us, and showing us the things that are truly important-the things that concern God." Chapter 9 - Invisible Destiny - The author writes "Since God is Order, turning away from him is going to result in chaos." ."

At location 2492 "A pure heart is one that isn't overly contaminated with self-interest. It's one that has a single-minded focus on doing God's will. Thus, if you really want to see God, one of the surest ways is to begin carrying out some of the so-called "corporal works of mercy"-feeding the hungry, giving drink to the thirsty, clothing the naked, sheltering the homeless, comforting the imprisoned, and visiting the sikc. If you do these things, I guarantee that your heart will become more pure. It has to. There's just no way that vanity and selfishness can grow in an environment of such terrible suffering." At location 2694, the author gives the following advice: "Forget about yourself and your problems-even if just for a little while. Go to where the poor are and help them. Give of yourself completely. Then go where other believers are and pray with them. Worship with them. Receive the sacraments with them. And then close your eyes and say to God, "Lord, I still don't understand life. I don't understand you. But help me. If you're there, I want to know you. I want to see you. I want to see what's hidden behind the veil that covers the unseen world." Good advice.

This book is powerful, enjoyable and sound. I recommend it highly.
on July 29, 2011
I wondered if this book was going to be "spooky" and was delightfuly suprised. It is not at all "horifying" and instead very insightful. The author brought up information that I never encountered before and sparked a whole new way of thinking. This book was a delight to read and I highly recommend it to anyone.
on April 23, 2011
This is a wonderful well-written book by Anthony Destefano. He explains in all details the realm of the spiritual world, using a simple and direct language that even those who never have any contact with the supernatural will start thinking twice on his propositions on how things are organized and how they work. This is exactly my case. I have never heard nor seen spiritual entities of any kind, so for me their existence is just a matter of faith, and Mr. Destefano gave me a boost on my faith on their existence.
He divided his book in ten chapters, covering in progression the following topics: The Haunter Detector, The Invisible God, Invisible Helpers, Invisible Evil, Invisible Soul, Invisible Warfare, Invisible Grace, Invisible Power of Suffering, Invisible Destiny and Seeing the Invisible.
His explanation on why demons attack human souls for not been able to attack directly God convinced me that he is a serious writer and took an excellent care of covering every assumption with basis in the Word of the Scriptures.
I recommend this book for people of little or no faith or even for people of more faith, but skeptical or with scientific minds like myself, with difficulty on believing on the supernatural world.

This book was written by Mr. Anthony Destefano and published by DoubleDay Religion in March 2011. B&B Media group were kind enough to send me a copy for reviewing through their blogger book review program.