4.0 out of 5 stars Irish TImes

Published on March 3, 2011 by Paul

4.0 out of 5 stars Irish TImes, January 18, 2008
ALBERT (HUDSON, OH, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Irish Times (Kindle Edition)
After enjoying reading the NY Times so much on my Kindle, I decided to add a second newspaper subscription. I tried sample issues of three other U.S. papers. They didn't add much to what I got reading my local papers (the old fashioned way) and the NY Times on the Kindle. My high school French and German aren't good enough to try those three papers, so I gave the Irish Times a try. It's an excellent value for the low price and a good European compliment to the U.S. papers I read. Lots of stories, many you'll never see in a U.S. paper. Coverage of U.S. and world news is very good and the local Irish stories are interesting. I'm more than half way through the trial subscription and will be continuing it. One issue had a few small articles in Gaelic at the end that I couldn't read. I don't know how often they do that. I'm in Ohio. I turn my Kindle wireless on a little before 6 a.m. every morning. New issues for both papers have been there, at that time, every day so far. Total download time for both is under a minute.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its a different world there, April 6, 2008
This review is from: The Irish Times (Kindle Edition)
Like others who have reviewed the Irish Times, I got the paper because I wanted to see the world out of the US in non US terms. In English.

I find myself fascinated by life in Ireland and the European stories that never make it into print here. Did you know that Switzerland thinks it's being overrun with German immigrants? Neither did I.

The only thing I miss is having some pictures. They were talking about a house that sold for over a million euros, and without a picture, I couldn't put it into an American context, so I don't know if it was a lot or a little. (they thought it was a lot, but I live in California where even with this mortgage meltdown, a small house goes for easily half a mill.)

I wish the presidential candidates would all read the stories about their health care. It seems really bad.

So, if you want a foreign paper in Englis, I think you'll like this.

3.0 out of 5 stars All good - except the price, March 3, 2011
This review is from: The Irish Times (Kindle Edition)
Being Irish I read the Irish Times quite regularly - but usually only a snatched couple of articles on the website every day. I was hoping that using it on the Kindle would give me more opportunities to catch up on the news, with less distractions. This it did, and every day of my free trial the current edition came down without a problem. I missed the images a little - but only for some stories where a photo helps with context.

However I cancelled at the end of the trial as the $22 a month is a big expense, considering I didn't get time to read the paper every day. I'll go back to skimming the stories online for free, thank you. I'd be prepared to subscribe for closer to 5 a month but at the current price it just isn't worth it.

Oh - one more thing, the recent Kindle software upgrade (3.1?) vastly improved the layout for newspapers and really helped with navigating the sections of this paper quickly, and skimming headlines.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Irish abroad, but not quite as good as real paper, October 25, 2009
Frank Farrelly (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Irish Times (Kindle Edition)
As a student in University, I was able to access the complete Irish Times website and read the paper online. I found it very useful and informative. I moved to the UK a few years ago and subscrbed myself online, reading most days. I did find it frustrating to only be able to read at my computer and was awaiting patiently for mass market mobile devices that allowed reading.
Now the Kindle is available internationally, this has solved my problem of not being able to bring the paper on public transport going to and from work. The quality of the writing is great as expected, but I really miss the ability to do the crossword. It was one of the reasons I was willing to sign up when I lived in the UK. Now I live in Australia, I can receive the paper every day and read it when and where I want, which is ideal. Seeing that the Irish Times was available on the Kindle was on of the reasons I bought it.
I think it would be great if your kindle subscription also entitled you to the full website subscription so I could do the crossword. Perhaps they could put a special website address for access at the end of the paper in the Kindle edition or just provide a username and password when the subscription is purchased. It is, after all the same news, just presented in a different way. It is for this reason I am giving 4 stars not 5.
I have not docked marks for lack of pictures as this is made clear for international readers, but it can be frustrating when an article refers to pictures. It would be great if the Kindle generally could sync pictures for international users when connected to the computer, similar to iTunes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Irish News, January 9, 2008
Karen (West Lafayette, IN, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Irish Times (Kindle Edition)
OK, I confess, I'm one of those Americans who has a secret wish to move to Ireland. I've never even had a chance to visit there yet (a planned trip back in 1996 was never completed when I found out I was pregnant the week before I meant to get plane tickets). Needless to say, an infant/young child wasn't an ideal traveling companion (neither is the younger sister who was born three years later) so I'm still waiting to viist.

But in the meantime, I've subscribed to the Irish Times, and it's just so interesting to read about the daily activities there, get the perspective on the U.S. news, that sort of thing. I tired a couple of the big city American papers, and I just enjoy this one a lot more.

4.0 out of 5 stars irish times on kindle, November 21, 2007
This review is from: The Irish Times (Kindle Edition)
ok I am Irish. And yes I travel a lot. Would dearly wish that we over here - outside U.S. - could avail of Kindle and this service. Convenience, Price etc. for access to Irish Times - not to mention books etc. - would be fantastic. (It is one of best papers around - try it!). So we hope Amazon spread Kindle to Europe asap.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Irish Times-All the news that fits!, October 29, 2012
This review is from: The Irish Times (Kindle Edition)
I like this product, it is a newspaper, it contains news, i.e a collection of facts about things that have happened, written down by people who saw those things happening, or who heard about them happening from other people who saw them happening, or who heard about them from other people and so on.There are also pictures of things happening, but not on the Kindle version, but that is all right too as it is cheaper, and Amazon probably save a little on the cost of the pictures of things happening and pass that on to the customer.As well as facts, the Irish Times contains opinions,these are things that people think and then write down, so that other people can see what they are thinking.Some things that the Irish Times writers think are interesting. Some things they think are not very interesting.Some (many) things they think are hard to understand, but on the Kindle I can just push the "next article' button so that is OK. I like the Irish Times, I have given it five stars, I would have given it six stars, but Amazon only allows (up to) five stars, so I could not give it six stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars in depth factual analysis of news stories, September 26, 2012
This review is from: The Irish Times (Kindle Edition)
Excellent reporting of a wide range of news stories. An even-handed approach - if there is any political bias it is hard to detect. Excellent sports section. World news stories section could be more extensive, and at least a few pictures would be nice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Irish Times, September 22, 2012
This review is from: The Irish Times (Kindle Edition)
An excellent, ballanced newspaper with in-depth analysis of Irish affairs and good coverage of world affairs. Not privately owned by the usual sinister right-wing magnates driving their own agenda, it has always been fair and objective. Let down only by an absence of photographs.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK ,But, September 6, 2012
This review is from: The Irish Times (Kindle Edition)
I find that it is overly redundant.One might find ,and I have, seven articles on the same news story. That is not reporting the news it is simply verbage.

The Irish Times