Growing and Cooking Italian has never been easierEric Beuning was raised on the apron strings of his Italian grandmother, eating fresh pasta and vegetables from the garden. As an adult he has spent years in the kitchen, guided by his memories, learning to recreate his grandmother's cooking. Through his experience in the kitchen he discovered very quickly that the difference between vegetables from the grocery store and vegetables freshly picked from the garden was night and day.
This meant if he was going to create the magic of his grandma's tomato ragu, he was going to have to learn to grow the right tomatoes. If he was ever going to sink his teeth into a thick salty cube of authentic eggplant Parmesan, he was going to have to learn to grow the right kind of Eggplant. This book is about how to do just that, and how to cook it to perfection.
One of the things that makes Italian cooking such a favorite at so many restaurant and kitchen tables is that to really do it right you have to use the freshest and best ingredients. You honor those ingredients by preparing them with care. The end result is a dish where everyone at your table can taste the love.
This is a product of putting in the time to learn how to grow and cultivate vegetables and herbs, or find them at farmer’s markets and grocery stores. Sure, you can get these things from a jarred sauce or a freezer case box of something, but it’s going to be the cooking equivalent of ending a hot date with a handshake instead of a long kiss goodnight.
Even if you are not interested in Italian cooking, these vegetables translate into many other recipes and types of cuisine.
The information that follows is from Eric's own experience and research.
If you love to cook, this book will teach you how to grow fresh heirloom vegetables for your favorite dishes. If you are a gardener, this book will show you how to take your vegetables from the garden to the table and create fresh, healthy meals that dazzle your taste buds.
Here is what is included:
- Understanding the difference between hybrid and heirloom seeds and how to choose the right seeds.
- A complete guide to starting seedlings, including selecting and using grow lights, watering, seed starting kits, soil, basic care, and more.
- Preparing your garden and transferring your plants outdoors.
- Includes individual sections on the complete care needed to grow: Asparagus, Beans, Eggplant, Garlic, Peppers, Potatoes, Tomatoes, and Zucchini.
- Each section also includes specific time tested cooking tips for each vegetable.
- Finally, each section features two delicious, tried and true recipes using that specific vegetable
Whether you love to cook or love to garden or both, this book will enliven your senses, offer you fresh cooking and gardening ideas, and most importantly, show you delicious recipes to highlight everything you learn.