Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on October 22, 2011
The cover of the book by Author Steven Scott states, "Christ completed 27 missions while on earth. Take up the 4 He assigned to you." Sounds pretty easy one would think - that is until you read his incredibly well written, biblically referenced book. The author refers frequently to the Scriptures to put forth his proposition that Jesus did in fact complete 27 important missions while he was alive on earth, and that he also assigned four important missions for us to complete as his followers, (disciples), while we are here on earth. And just as the completion of his tasks would have been impossible without the enablement of God, his Heavenly Father; it is impossible for us to complete our four missions unless we are enabled by Jesus Christ through the power of the person of the Holy Spirit who dwells within us as followers, (disciples), of Christ.
This book is not written for the person who is interested in merely getting saved, that is "becoming born again," as a means of acquiring fire insurance; (protection from eternity in Hell separated from God forever without hope or help), as if that were possible. No, this book is written for the follower (disciple), of Christ who is serious about their commitment to Christ and wants to fulfill the missions Christ has assigned for us to do. This book is about radical living for Jesus Christ taking him, his word, and his mission for our lives most seriously.
I found it interesting in regards to the person of Jesus Christ that he quoted from Napoleon in Chapter 14 of the book entitled, "Who Was That Man?" And what I found even more interesting is that the words of Napoleon were all very positive about Jesus Christ and who he was. Napoleon is quoted as stating about Jesus Christ, " I know men; and I tell you that Jesus Christ is no mere man." How very true. And in Chapter 14 of the book author Scott tells us exactly who the "man" Jesus was...that he was truly more than just a mere man, but was indeed, fully man and fully God in one, in the flesh.
In his book the author skillfully and masterfully provides us with a treasure trove of truth, (using the words metaphorically), to mine from concerning the person of Jesus Christ and his mission as well as what our mission as followers, (disciples), of Christ is while here on earth. There is so much to be learned in this book about the person and mission of Jesus Christ as well as what our mission is in life you will want to take your time reading it and contemplating on what you read and how it should impact your life, for impact your life it should. I give this book ***** and declare it a must read for anyone who wants to be a serious follower, (disciple) of Jesus Christ.
I have received a complementary copy of the book for reviewing it.
on November 7, 2011
As a church staff member, I am always challenged by books like "The Jesus Mission". There are times in ministry where you can be doing great things, but are they the right things? Am I on mission with what Jesus has truly called me to as a Christian, or am I trying to do things in His name for my benefit? All of these questions were flying through my mind as I was reading this book. It will really make you search your motives, and whether or not you are truly on The Jesus Mission, the way Jesus defined it.

As I made my way through the book, it reminded me of a kind of Christianity 101, a good refresher for both new and mature Christians alike. It really answers the true purpose of a Christian, and gives the reader a deeper sense of what it means to follow Christ. It gives many scripture references, which I like, and allows me to dig deeper into later.

Overall I felt this book was well-organized, encouraging, and right on in its purpose of having the reader ask the question "How Do I Know What God Wants From Me?". I will definitely be passing this on to others who are looking and searching for what's next in their journey with Christ.

I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.
on December 14, 2011
I chose to review the book "The Jesus Mission" by Steven K Scott. I have never heard of this author but that does not matter. what drew me to this book was the subject. Scott claims that Jesus left us with 4 missions to accomplish: Intimacy with God, Spiritual growth, Empowering other believers (Fellowship), and Impact non-believers (Evangelism). As a pastor, i love the topic that Scott schose to write about. Here is the problem i have with this book. It drags on and on about the same thing over and over. I will recommend this book to New Believers because it is basic. I would have shortened the book and kept it to the point.
again I do like the book but i do think it is too long. Will I read it again and keep the book in my personal library, and recommend it? Yes, yes, and yes. But Steven K Scott, keep it simple and short. Don't use filler material. also use more illustrations. this is not a lecture, this is a book. take us on an adventure. dont lecture at us.
I do like this book but...I cant give it 5 stars.
I recieved this book for free in exchange for an honest review by Waterbrook Multnomah books (Thank you for the copy).
on December 26, 2011
Has your spiritual life become dull? Do you find yourself feeling that there is something missing? Do you desire a deeper, more intimate relationship with God? If so, then this book is for you. The author, Steven K. Scott, is best known for his book "The Greatest Words Ever Spoken", which compiles all the spoken words of Jesus and organizes them by specific topics. In his latest book, "The Jesus Mission", he explores what it means to be in an intimate relationship with God and how to pursue such a relationship. "This relationship, which Christ offers to us, can replace sadness with joy, emptiness with fulfillment, failure with accomplishment, and most important, death with eternal life. Imagine having a relationship with God in which He reveals Himself to you in new ways every day. He will reveal His loves and desires, His values, and even His miraculous power in unique ways - to you one of His closest followers. Imagine experiencing Christ's presence every moment of every day. Imagine being so close to Him that He whispers in your ear His thoughts, His guidance, even His perfect will for every decision you face." If this is the type of relationship which you desire then this book will help you to pursue it.

The book is divided into three sections. The first section explores what intimacy with God really means, as He defines it. The author asks us to consider four questions that all who want an intimate relationship with God must answer. 1. What does God want from you? 2. How can you give God what He wants? 3. Who is Jesus? 4. Why did Jesus come to earth? As the author says, "the answers to the first two questions open a path to experiencing a deeper level of intimacy with God and the miracles that accompany such an intimate relationship with Him. The answers to the last two questions... expose common misconceptions about Jesus and His missions on earth. He did not come here to establish a new religion, and He was not a social reformer or a champion of earthly equality."

The second section looks at the four missions which Jesus Christ assigned to every one of his followers. 1. To become more intimate with God. 2. To accelerate your personal growth. 3. To empower other believers to better follow Christ. 4. To impact the lives of non-believers. Each of these missions is accompanied by Activity and Action points to help apply these missions to your own live.

The last section of the book explores the 27 missions which Jesus stated that He accomplished while he was on earth.

I was once asked by a friend how I would respond to someone who argued that it is possible to live a "mediocre" life and still be a Christian. I believe this book is the answer to this question. "In the end being a Christian isn't defined by the opinions or doctrines we embrace in our minds but rather by the beliefs in our hearts - beliefs that result in a turning away from self-centeredness to a total surrender of our lives to the Lordship of Jesus Christ."

I received this book for free from Waterbrook Multnomah Publishing Group in exchange for my honest review.
on May 20, 2014
The author does a great job breaking down the steps/missions that you need to focus on in your own life. Very powerful book! I highly recommend this book to anyone that is searching for their purpose/mission in life.
on January 5, 2013
If you are serious about deepening your relationship with Jesus and having a more intimate relationship with him, then I definitely recommend this book. Initially when I started to read, it took me time to get into it. At first I did think the beginning was a bit drawn out before getting to the actual meat of the subjects but as I continued on and it started to get into the meat portions, it became very interesting to me and started to draw me in. I found myself looking forward to reading it and getting to the next chapters.

While I still do feel some of the information was redundant throughout his text which I refer to as "filler" text. I didn't feel the "filler" information was necessary. I did appreciate the text being down-to-earth, easy to read, and understandable.

The book was about the twenty-seven missions accomplished by Christ and the four missions he left for us as believers.

With his book he identifies and explains the four missions that Jesus left for us (the believers), which are:
1. Become More Intimate with God
2. Accelerate Your Personal Growth
3. Empower Other Believers to Better Follow Christ
4. Impact the Lives of Nonbelievers

He also included some "practical activities" and "action guides" in the chapters that I always love to see.

I think it's a great book to guide you as a Christian, for new comers and seasoned Christians. It's great at giving some direction as to what is expected from us and have an idea of our purpose.

Overall...I do recommend this book, I think it's great to add to your collection/library... :)
The Jesus Mission: Christ completed twenty-seven missions while on earth. Take up the four he assigned to you.

*I received a complimentary copy of "The Jesus Mission" as a member of "Blogging for Books". This DOES NOT influence my review in any way and the book review is my honest opinion of the book. Visit Waterbrook Multnomah to learn how you can become a member of the "Blogging for Books".
on April 2, 2012
This is a well-researched account of Jesus' amazing mission to Earth. His mission was accomplished perfectly--it had to be if He were to save us. Learn about the 27 missions Jesus completed and the 4 missions Jesus gave to His followers. Read about these missions and be overwhelmed with gratitude toward the God who initiated these missions on your behalf.

I especially liked Part 3, which Scott begins by stating, "You can't follow Jesus if you are not sure about who He is." Scott then has a word for our world today: Jesus was not a socialist (or Santa Claus or anything else we decide we'd like him to be.) He cites the parable of the vineyard owner (Matt. 20:1-15,) the parable of the talents (Matt. 25:14-30) and the story of the servant in Luke 17:7-10. Jesus will not accept the labels we place on Him to fit our own agendas. He knows His mission and He knows our mission. We need to be doing our part of the Jesus mission instead of twisting Jesus into an image we find more to our liking. In light of all He accomplished for us, how can we refuse the mission He has given us?

I received a free copy of this book to review from Waterbrook-Multonomah.
on March 15, 2012
I had never heard of Steven K. Scott. I was hesitant to pick this book due to the narrowness of the title that Jesus's mission could be confined to a number.

Scott "spent two years doing what no other person had done before -- [he] organized all of Jesus' statements (more than nineteen hundred) into 225 topics and made them available in" The Greatest Words Ever Spoken.

Had I read The Greatest Words Ever Spoken first I might have appreciated this book more. I found it long and while I am sure other people might connect with his style of writing better, it was not for me.

I appreciate his studious efforts in making this available, and I can tell that his intention is to make sure that people truly KNOW Jesus. I liked that he gave action steps to his principles.

I reviewed this book for Waterbrook Multnomah Publishers Blogging for Books. I received this book for free in exchange for a review of the book.
on January 5, 2012
I have read Crazy Love and Radical in the past and both of these books hit a hard note in my soul. The Jesus Mission is so very well written and backed by scripture that it made it hard to put down. This book says what God makes me feel is very correct in the title. I consider The Jesus Mission to be one of the best books I have ever read, and being a true follower of Christ, I can only say, job well done, to this author. Do I recommend this book to others - not if you are not willing to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ!
on April 26, 2012
The Jesus Mission reads like very good Sunday School literature. It is concise and to-the-point, and the author wastes no ink chasing rabbits. His style is more informational than conversational, and he covers an awful lot of ground in 300 pages. He instructs the Christian reader on how to fulfill four lifetime missions and also explains how Jesus Christ accomplished twenty-seven impossible missions. With just a few personal anecdotes and illustrations, this could serve as a textbook in an Introduction to Christianity class.