on October 22, 2011
Format: Hardcover
The cover of the book by Author Steven Scott states, "Christ completed 27 missions while on earth. Take up the 4 He assigned to you." Sounds pretty easy one would think - that is until you read his incredibly well written, biblically referenced book. The author refers frequently to the Scriptures to put forth his proposition that Jesus did in fact complete 27 important missions while he was alive on earth, and that he also assigned four important missions for us to complete as his followers, (disciples), while we are here on earth. And just as the completion of his tasks would have been impossible without the enablement of God, his Heavenly Father; it is impossible for us to complete our four missions unless we are enabled by Jesus Christ through the power of the person of the Holy Spirit who dwells within us as followers, (disciples), of Christ.
This book is not written for the person who is interested in merely getting saved, that is "becoming born again," as a means of acquiring fire insurance; (protection from eternity in Hell separated from God forever without hope or help), as if that were possible. No, this book is written for the follower (disciple), of Christ who is serious about their commitment to Christ and wants to fulfill the missions Christ has assigned for us to do. This book is about radical living for Jesus Christ taking him, his word, and his mission for our lives most seriously.
I found it interesting in regards to the person of Jesus Christ that he quoted from Napoleon in Chapter 14 of the book entitled, "Who Was That Man?" And what I found even more interesting is that the words of Napoleon were all very positive about Jesus Christ and who he was. Napoleon is quoted as stating about Jesus Christ, " I know men; and I tell you that Jesus Christ is no mere man." How very true. And in Chapter 14 of the book author Scott tells us exactly who the "man" Jesus was...that he was truly more than just a mere man, but was indeed, fully man and fully God in one, in the flesh.
In his book the author skillfully and masterfully provides us with a treasure trove of truth, (using the words metaphorically), to mine from concerning the person of Jesus Christ and his mission as well as what our mission as followers, (disciples), of Christ is while here on earth. There is so much to be learned in this book about the person and mission of Jesus Christ as well as what our mission is in life you will want to take your time reading it and contemplating on what you read and how it should impact your life, for impact your life it should. I give this book ***** and declare it a must read for anyone who wants to be a serious follower, (disciple) of Jesus Christ.
I have received a complementary copy of the book for reviewing it.
on November 8, 2011
Format: Hardcover
As a church staff member, I am always challenged by books like "The Jesus Mission". There are times in ministry where you can be doing great things, but are they the right things? Am I on mission with what Jesus has truly called me to as a Christian, or am I trying to do things in His name for my benefit? All of these questions were flying through my mind as I was reading this book. It will really make you search your motives, and whether or not you are truly on The Jesus Mission, the way Jesus defined it.

As I made my way through the book, it reminded me of a kind of Christianity 101, a good refresher for both new and mature Christians alike. It really answers the true purpose of a Christian, and gives the reader a deeper sense of what it means to follow Christ. It gives many scripture references, which I like, and allows me to dig deeper into later.

Overall I felt this book was well-organized, encouraging, and right on in its purpose of having the reader ask the question "How Do I Know What God Wants From Me?". I will definitely be passing this on to others who are looking and searching for what's next in their journey with Christ.

I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.
on December 14, 2011
Format: Hardcover
I chose to review the book "The Jesus Mission" by Steven K Scott. I have never heard of this author but that does not matter. what drew me to this book was the subject. Scott claims that Jesus left us with 4 missions to accomplish: Intimacy with God, Spiritual growth, Empowering other believers (Fellowship), and Impact non-believers (Evangelism). As a pastor, i love the topic that Scott schose to write about. Here is the problem i have with this book. It drags on and on about the same thing over and over. I will recommend this book to New Believers because it is basic. I would have shortened the book and kept it to the point.
again I do like the book but i do think it is too long. Will I read it again and keep the book in my personal library, and recommend it? Yes, yes, and yes. But Steven K Scott, keep it simple and short. Don't use filler material. also use more illustrations. this is not a lecture, this is a book. take us on an adventure. dont lecture at us.
I do like this book but...I cant give it 5 stars.
I recieved this book for free in exchange for an honest review by Waterbrook Multnomah books (Thank you for the copy).
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 26, 2011
Format: Hardcover
Has your spiritual life become dull? Do you find yourself feeling that there is something missing? Do you desire a deeper, more intimate relationship with God? If so, then this book is for you. The author, Steven K. Scott, is best known for his book "The Greatest Words Ever Spoken", which compiles all the spoken words of Jesus and organizes them by specific topics. In his latest book, "The Jesus Mission", he explores what it means to be in an intimate relationship with God and how to pursue such a relationship. "This relationship, which Christ offers to us, can replace sadness with joy, emptiness with fulfillment, failure with accomplishment, and most important, death with eternal life. Imagine having a relationship with God in which He reveals Himself to you in new ways every day. He will reveal His loves and desires, His values, and even His miraculous power in unique ways - to you one of His closest followers. Imagine experiencing Christ's presence every moment of every day. Imagine being so close to Him that He whispers in your ear His thoughts, His guidance, even His perfect will for every decision you face." If this is the type of relationship which you desire then this book will help you to pursue it.

The book is divided into three sections. The first section explores what intimacy with God really means, as He defines it. The author asks us to consider four questions that all who want an intimate relationship with God must answer. 1. What does God want from you? 2. How can you give God what He wants? 3. Who is Jesus? 4. Why did Jesus come to earth? As the author says, "the answers to the first two questions open a path to experiencing a deeper level of intimacy with God and the miracles that accompany such an intimate relationship with Him. The answers to the last two questions... expose common misconceptions about Jesus and His missions on earth. He did not come here to establish a new religion, and He was not a social reformer or a champion of earthly equality."

The second section looks at the four missions which Jesus Christ assigned to every one of his followers. 1. To become more intimate with God. 2. To accelerate your personal growth. 3. To empower other believers to better follow Christ. 4. To impact the lives of non-believers. Each of these missions is accompanied by Activity and Action points to help apply these missions to your own live.

The last section of the book explores the 27 missions which Jesus stated that He accomplished while he was on earth.

I was once asked by a friend how I would respond to someone who argued that it is possible to live a "mediocre" life and still be a Christian. I believe this book is the answer to this question. "In the end being a Christian isn't defined by the opinions or doctrines we embrace in our minds but rather by the beliefs in our hearts - beliefs that result in a turning away from self-centeredness to a total surrender of our lives to the Lordship of Jesus Christ."

I received this book for free from Waterbrook Multnomah Publishing Group in exchange for my honest review.
on January 6, 2013
Format: Hardcover
If you are serious about deepening your relationship with Jesus and having a more intimate relationship with him, then I definitely recommend this book. Initially when I started to read, it took me time to get into it. At first I did think the beginning was a bit drawn out before getting to the actual meat of the subjects but as I continued on and it started to get into the meat portions, it became very interesting to me and started to draw me in. I found myself looking forward to reading it and getting to the next chapters.

While I still do feel some of the information was redundant throughout his text which I refer to as "filler" text. I didn't feel the "filler" information was necessary. I did appreciate the text being down-to-earth, easy to read, and understandable.

The book was about the twenty-seven missions accomplished by Christ and the four missions he left for us as believers.

With his book he identifies and explains the four missions that Jesus left for us (the believers), which are:
1. Become More Intimate with God
2. Accelerate Your Personal Growth
3. Empower Other Believers to Better Follow Christ
4. Impact the Lives of Nonbelievers

He also included some "practical activities" and "action guides" in the chapters that I always love to see.

I think it's a great book to guide you as a Christian, for new comers and seasoned Christians. It's great at giving some direction as to what is expected from us and have an idea of our purpose.

Overall...I do recommend this book, I think it's great to add to your collection/library... :)
The Jesus Mission: Christ completed twenty-seven missions while on earth. Take up the four he assigned to you.

*I received a complimentary copy of "The Jesus Mission" as a member of "Blogging for Books". This DOES NOT influence my review in any way and the book review is my honest opinion of the book. Visit Waterbrook Multnomah to learn how you can become a member of the "Blogging for Books".
Format: Hardcover
This is a well-researched account of Jesus' amazing mission to Earth. His mission was accomplished perfectly--it had to be if He were to save us. Learn about the 27 missions Jesus completed and the 4 missions Jesus gave to His followers. Read about these missions and be overwhelmed with gratitude toward the God who initiated these missions on your behalf.

I especially liked Part 3, which Scott begins by stating, "You can't follow Jesus if you are not sure about who He is." Scott then has a word for our world today: Jesus was not a socialist (or Santa Claus or anything else we decide we'd like him to be.) He cites the parable of the vineyard owner (Matt. 20:1-15,) the parable of the talents (Matt. 25:14-30) and the story of the servant in Luke 17:7-10. Jesus will not accept the labels we place on Him to fit our own agendas. He knows His mission and He knows our mission. We need to be doing our part of the Jesus mission instead of twisting Jesus into an image we find more to our liking. In light of all He accomplished for us, how can we refuse the mission He has given us?

I received a free copy of this book to review from Waterbrook-Multonomah.
on March 16, 2012
Format: Hardcover
I had never heard of Steven K. Scott. I was hesitant to pick this book due to the narrowness of the title that Jesus's mission could be confined to a number.

Scott "spent two years doing what no other person had done before -- [he] organized all of Jesus' statements (more than nineteen hundred) into 225 topics and made them available in" The Greatest Words Ever Spoken.

Had I read The Greatest Words Ever Spoken first I might have appreciated this book more. I found it long and while I am sure other people might connect with his style of writing better, it was not for me.

I appreciate his studious efforts in making this available, and I can tell that his intention is to make sure that people truly KNOW Jesus. I liked that he gave action steps to his principles.

I reviewed this book for Waterbrook Multnomah Publishers Blogging for Books. I received this book for free in exchange for a review of the book.
on April 27, 2012
Format: Hardcover
The Jesus Mission reads like very good Sunday School literature. It is concise and to-the-point, and the author wastes no ink chasing rabbits. His style is more informational than conversational, and he covers an awful lot of ground in 300 pages. He instructs the Christian reader on how to fulfill four lifetime missions and also explains how Jesus Christ accomplished twenty-seven impossible missions. With just a few personal anecdotes and illustrations, this could serve as a textbook in an Introduction to Christianity class.
on January 17, 2013
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I loved this book because "Steven" has gotten it again. Making Jesus's teachings simpler and simpler is key to really making an impact...
Format: Hardcover
My heart and soul cried. I just finished reading, The Jesus Mission, by Steven K. Scott. There have been times, when reading God's Word, that my soul cried, but I do not recall this ever happening upon reading someone's book. However, the most profound statement in this book, the one that changed my mindset, Scott's last statement, did just that, as he wrote, "And yet her testimony was so convincing that the Spirit of God opened the men's hearts and empowered them to believe (278)."

The statement seemed to echo in my heart, "How convincing is your testimony?" As my soul wept, I tried to answer my question as my heart and mind called out a prayer, "Oh God, that my life's witness and testimony would be one that would cause another to look up to God." Is this not the heart of Jesus' ministry? With a resounding, "Yes," we can say that it is our ministry/mission as well. And this is also Scott's reason for writing, The Jesus Mission.

Scott maintains that many live their lives believing "their destiny is secured by their mere mental agreement with theological statements of doctrine rather than by the beliefs of their heart (27)." How we live our lives is our testimony and witness. Our witness for Christ is not a duty or obligation but is a follower's natural outpouring of God's love manifested in us toward mankind (49, 66). If we want to impact the lives of non-believers, they must see a God who is able to make a difference in how a person lives their lives.

Eternal life is not based on our obedience, our obedience is evidence that we have been born again (51). It is through our obedience that we are motivated to love others and share the gospel of Jesus with them (66). If we are "born again," we will thirst for God's word and a desire to know Jesus more intimately, so that we know the qualities that are to be produced and sustained by this new nature (72). He goes into detail as he talks about the rebirthing process (77), then Scott focuses on the 4 mission's Christ gave to us as believer's (97). 1) Become more intimate with God, 2) Accelerate your personal growth (113), 2) Empower other believer's to better follow Christ, and, 4) Impact the lives of non-believers (145). He does not present an "all easy life." He indicates that following Christ brings much joy, but there can be setbacks. He encourages the follower but warns them of the roadblocks and detours to following Christ (159). Then he reminds us of the promises of Jesus that makes following Him worth while (179). He spends the remainder of the book answering questions that will help the reader know Jesus in a more intimate way and that will change the way they live their life (193).

Scotts outlines not a new model, but the very ministry that Jesus came to the earth to accomplish. So... why do we need to keep repeating the same message? Because organized church (millions of Christians, only by name not by the life they live) has not grasp it yet.

What is your mission - as a follower of Christ? If you are interested in fulfilling the mission Christ left for you to accomplish, then you will want a copy of The Jesus Mission. This one might be a good one for a reader's circle, or small group study. Pick up or order your copy today.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I receive books free from the publisher WaterBrook Multnomah's book review bloggers program,[...]. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255