5.0 out of 5 stars Treasures of Mystical Wisdom, June 28, 2005
Susan Creighton (Bellingham, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Journey Of The Soul (Paperback)
In a compilation of two previously published volumes, Jerry Thomas brings together the mystical wisdom of the ages. Drawing on his personal experience of the major faith traditions, and his many years of guiding souls along the way, this new volume, "The Journey of the Soul", presents both a roadmap of the universal principles and understanding of mystical spirituality, along with meditative passages from the greatest of the world's mystical traditions. The result is a volume that will both enrich our mind and enliven our heart as we journey home to communion with God.

The three primary questions of human existence are addressed with profound clarity: Who am I? Where am I going? How do I get there? The foundation for all that follows is laid by the discrimination between ego and soul, and in the section presenting the Seven States of Consciousness, common to such diverse traditions as "The Bhagavad Gita", and the Christian mystic, John of the Cross. The remainder of the book continues to lead the reader through the heart of mystical spirituality, addressing differing perspectives as well as the varied experiences, joys, and pitfalls along the way.

The second half of "The Journey of the Soul" offers meditative passages gathered from the world's mystical traditions. Each page speaks to the heart, and offers an opportunity for the reader to allow the timeless truth of the mystics to enter his or her own interior silence. Approached with an open heart, the reader will find this to be a text worth returning to over and over again.

From my own long experience with Christian mystical teachings, and as a priest and teacher, I can personally affirm the transformative power in the approach Jerry Thomas presents, and I particularly recommend this book to all clergy and spiritual directors, regardless of faith tradition.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to be a mystic, April 12, 2008
This review is from: The Journey Of The Soul (Paperback)
Jerry Thomas' book Journey of the Soul is a guidebook for the mystic. His clear and elegant prose explains that the mystical life is centered on who we are rather than what we do. He describes the process which helps us develop a mystical perspective. His years of training as a physicist inform his writing so the abstract topic is grounded with pages of practical suggestions. Still he never loses the poetic flavor which all mystical writing must also have because of its focus on what is unseen. The Journey of the Soul lays out a very clear path to realizing our true natures. It integrates the traditions of the East and the West to help the reader understand who he is, where he is going, and how to get there.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book gives me a clearer idea of what I am looking for!, April 12, 2008
Julia T. (Salem, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Journey Of The Soul (Paperback)
For years I have been looking to find clarity and illumination in simple truths. I have been searching for simple yet profound undestandings that effortlessly and joyfully move me to greater understanding! And I have discovered such clarity and understanding in "Journey of the Soul."

The author has elegantly described a process of "an unfolding spiritual reality" which spans vast areas of inquiry such as God, the Divine Feminine, mysticism, creation, purpose, states of consciousness, faith, surrender, wisdom, and love. He built this process in such a fascinating and sometimes poetic way that I am now confident that as I continue my journey, I have a clearer idea of what exactly I am looking for!

Read slowly and savor the illumination!

Priceless!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Truth for the Serious Student: Reviewed by Craig Bullock, April 14, 2008
Craig N. Bullock (Rochester, New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Journey Of The Soul (Paperback)
Many people are ripe to explore a solid, legitimate, time-tested spiritual path, especially one that integrates the mystical dimension. The problem, however, is that there are too few individuals qualified to serve as guides on life's most important journey. The "pop spirituality" offered in today's marketplace is woefully lacking in depth, often confusing metaphysics and self-psychology with the authentic process of self-transcendence.
This is why I enthusiastically recommend "The Journey of the Soul" to any and all sincere spiritual seekers. The author, Jerry Thomas, is not sharing his own ungrounded opinions. Rather, he restates the pure truths taught by spiritual masters from time immemorial. He does this with the wisdom of a seasoned teacher and guide. Every page resonates with clarity, poignancy, and inspiration.
Specifcally, this book takes you through a step by step overview of the stages associated with the spiritual-mystcical journey. In addition, the reader is introduced to practicies that help to facilitate the expansion of consciousness. The underlying unity of Eastern and Western spirituality is explicitly presented. And, the many quotes by recognized saints and sages serves to take the reader directly into sacred silence.
If you want a reliable, accurate, and inspired map of the interior journey of union with the Divine, read Jerry Thomas' "The Journey of a Soul." Once read, you will find yourself picking it up again and again, each time gaining fresh insights about yourself and the process of God-realization.

The Journey Of The Soul
The Journey Of The Soul by Jerry Thomas (Paperback - January 17, 2005)
$19.99 $17.92