5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting Journey
This book is Dan Millman's third in the Peaceful Warrior Saga. I didn't know quite what to expect but had heard this book changed course from his previous writings. This is true because this book is more of a narrative as opposed to the other Peaceful books which tend to be a little more instructional.

The Journeys of Socrates is about the early life of...
Published on March 20, 2006 by Jason Nelson

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing
We have lost all resilience when we compare Socrate's life with how some of us live! I have read the book twice now. This last time for the spiritual book group that I run. The book illustrates that we as humans need a long time to bring about the changes within ourselves that many of us so desire. We have to dig deep within ourselves and be prepared to face all our...
Published on April 9, 2010 by Dr. Gunta M. Caldwell

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting Journey, March 20, 2006

The Journeys of Socrates is about the early life of Millman's guru, Socrates. It starts off with recounting his early boyhood in a Russian military school. Orphaned and distraught at having to stay in the school the young Socrates escapes. He starts to build an enjoyable life for himself as a young man with a wife only to meet tragedy. A key nemesis from his old military school days shows up and contributes to a horrific tragedy of unimaginable proportions. Socrates can think of nothing else but revenge. He spends his days and years after this plotting for ways to get back at the evil he has experienced.

As the book progresses Socrates meets many new teachers. These teachers are Masters of certain disciplines (like the martial arts) but more importantly they are Masters of life in general. After years of hard work these wise teachers teach Socrates how to live, breathe, forgive and find happiness. He comes to discover that the only way he can truly be free is by releasing this awful burden of hate he carries around day after day. It's a very wise but painful lesson. For obvious reasons I am not divulging everything but suffice it to say you'll be surprised, horrified, entertained, and inspired by the end of the book.

Concerning the book, I felt the story was very good but the writing seemed a little rough around the edges. I got the impression that Millman, despite having written several other books, is still learning his craft as a narrative type storyteller. It seemed in parts he could have developed the plot more thoroughly and provided more realistic detail for certain key players. Despite these minor flaws I still enjoyed the book tremendously for the insight, wisdom, and entertaining nature of it all. There is nothing better than being able to read an exciting story and also learn how to live in a better way at the same time.

Anyone who enjoys personal transformation, inspiring stories, and fascinating characters will really treasure this read. I only hope that in the future Dan continues to write, teach, and give us more timeless advice from the Warrior/Buddha Socrates.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Read for Millman Fans, April 30, 2005
Avalon Daughter (I wish I was in Glastonbury) - See all my reviews
If you were like me you were incredibly curious about the mysterious Socrates. Who was he? Where did he come from? Was he a real person?

This book is all about his life in Russia and how he came to be. It also explains how he came into his "peaceful" power, his family background and how he came to the United States. I'm not going to go into too much detail but I will say it's a definite must-read as a companion to "Way of the Peaceful Warrior."

It can be a bit slow at times and unless you're familiar with Russian names it can also take a bit of thinking to keep track of characters. Some of them have other names they use. Socrates has three at some points and for me, it took a little more careful reading. Doesn't make it less interesting, though.

However, there are three big shockers that will keep you glued to the book. Especially the ending which had me gasp twice, keep reading and blown away by what else Millman discovered. You'll never guess what Dan discovered about Socrates at the end but be amazed when you do; It makes WotPW much, much more personal for Dan.

Definite must-read for fans of the first book -- newcomers, should most definitely read "Way of the Peaceful Warrior" first. That way it would make much more sense.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Story, but maybe not in continuity with the rest., August 27, 2006
matt (the reading room) - See all my reviews
Had I not been interested in Russian martial arts, Russian Orthodoxy and the era of the story, this book would have been a two star. I can say that it is well-written, and that it does flow easy and can be read in a day (even one long sitting). It's a little predictable, but it does have its positives. The role of the monk-warrior is of interest to me and Millman's description was believable and engaging. In particular I found the tie-in of Russian fighting arts with their unique styles and training methods to be a great touch.

Even so, I know other readers wonder where this new history of Socrates came from, which is an understandable thought. What I think happened, and this is where his critics have a point (although I love the direction Millman's heading), is that he discovered Vladimir Vasiliev's fighting system and philosophy, which is in part rooted in Russian Orthodox Christianity, and he then decided to write the history of Socrates to fit into this mold. It is my favorite part of the plot, but it may seen disconnnected from the New Agers that so love his other works. I don't see them as mutually exclusive on the whole, but I can see how it could be odd.

On the whole, a quick read that adds depth to Socrates and may introduce you to some new ideas and history.

Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Who knew?, October 9, 2005
I loved "Way of the Peaceful Warrior" when I first read it at least twenty years ago. And I've continuted to love it as I've re-read it periodically over the years. In "Warrior," Dan Millman created a myth that spoke to the young man I was on many levels -- the usefulness of getting lost and depressed, the possibility of finding a mentor, the magic of training and rigorous discipline, the totality of the present moment, the acceptance of the death of the ego, and the transcendence of life beyond death -- all in a fast-moving, involving story. It's a hard act to follow. This is by far the best of Millman's subsequent novels. It is a much more mature book from a more mature writer for a more mature reader. While the author is still concerned with many of the same themes, he brings in many others with greater depth and seriousness -- devasating loss, ethnic violence, evil, vengence and much more. Who knew that old trickster Socrates came from and through such a dark place? A must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great prequel that explains Millman's inspirations., July 21, 2005
What a fantastic book. I knew it would be good, but I didn't know it would be this good. I read Way of the Peaceful Warrior when I was a freshman in college during some tough times. Just like they did with me, I passed that book to a friend who seemed to be ready for a change in his life. Millman is a master at explaining how we can change our daily lives in an entertaining yet not ridiculous manner. So many books that are considered "metaphysical" just lay out the answers in front of you and make you believe that these are the answers, Millman writes it in a manner where you have to decide what best works for you. The book is a further discovery in how a person deals with their most powerful demons and ends up coming out on top. The last few pages were the greatest eye opener into Millman's soul and his journey through life. Definitely the best one of all of the books he has written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dan is back!, June 16, 2005
Dan Millman's words are known around the world, thanks to his popular book "Way of the Peaceful Warrior" that changed lives over twenty years ago, and is still changing lives today.

The Journeys of Socrates delves into the heart of Dan's beloved teacher "Soc." It answers questions for readers about what events created the heart of such a wise sage.

Dan's book is one accomplishment with which I am sure his teacher is more than pleased.

*** Note, when they say Dan's books change lives, they are NOT kidding. This entire series is a MUST-HAVE for anyone seriously interesting in following a path of peace and honor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spellbinding, June 5, 2006
This was one of the most entertaining books I have read in a long time. Few books have been able to so thoroughly enthrall me in the story as to force me to have to pace myself in order to saver and properly digest the magnitude of the events taking place as this book. Socrates's life story as narrated by Millman, did so. I found it to be a very important key to the mysterious man named Socrates who's lessons truly have changed lives. Millman's Way of the Peaceful Warrior and Sacret Journeys takes on new weight and meaning through this work. A true "MUST READ"

5.0 out of 5 stars The Way Begins, The Torch is Passed, June 15, 2005
This prequel to "Way of the Peaceful Warrior" is an enthralling, historically-inspired novel that answers many questions about how Socrates became a warrior and poses many more about how he became a peaceful warrior. His journeys tell the tale of the stark realities within and around him amidst the deeply personal and archetypal cycles of birth, death, and a higher birth once again; tragedies, trials, triumphs, and transformations that shaped his life as a young man, an accomplished warrior, and an emerging sage.

The revelations at the end do not complete the story as much as they offer the key to unlocking a previously well-kept yet heartwarming mystery about the deep connections between Millman and his peaceful warrior mentor. Socrates' pivotal yet thinly recounted trip to the "rooftop of the world," as well as his return trip on an "urgent mission" years later certainly bode well for one or two sequels to this tale, filling in even more of the tapestry that binds together Socrates, Millman, and his readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars My 17 Year Old Son is Inspired, March 31, 2014
This review is from: The Journeys of Socrates: An Adventure (Paperback)
I discovered Dan Millman's work years ago when I made my family and friends all watch Peaceful Warrior with me. I tore through the books of the Socrates trilogy and his other books. My brother became a fan and later invited my older son (then 21) and I to attend one of Dan's workshops as a "thank you for introducing me to Dan" gift. As we drove away from that weekend event, my boy said, "I am going to make sure that whoever I decide to marry is open to all that I learned." What an amazing gift!

Here's the next really cool gift: After years of deciding reading was boring, my youngest son (now 17) recently pulled the Journeys of Socrates off the shelf and could not put it down. He finished it over the weekend and ransacked our bookshelves until he found my copies of the next two books. The Way of the Peaceful Warrior went to school with him today. He will probably read that instead of paying attention to his teachers, but I don't care. He is carrying himself differently, seeking ways to be honorable, and understanding that he too has important journeys to take.

My advice is simple: Get Dan Millman's works in front of your kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, AMAZING, AMAZING........, April 21, 2005
Jason Murray (MONCTON, NB CANADA) - See all my reviews
THIS BOOK IS AN AMAZING ROLER COASTER OF EMOTIONS AS YOU UNRAVEL THE LIFE OF SOCRATES, THE WISE OLD MENTOR FROM THE WAY OF THE PEACEFUL WARRIOR SERIES. IT HAS SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE, EVEN THOSE WHO HAVE NOT READ THE PREVIOUS MILLMAN BOOKS. IT IS AN ENCHANTING JOURNEY THAT LEADS YOU THROUGH THE CITIES, TOWNS AND RUGGED LANDSCAPE OF RUSSIA. YOU BECOME APART OF THE LIFES OF THE CHARACTERS, FEELING ALL THEIR HIGHS AND LOWS. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK TO ANYONE INTERESTED IN CURLING UP FOR A WEEKEND AND BEING TAKEN BACK TO A TIME WHEN LOVE, HONOUR AND RESPECT WERE A MANS DRIVING FORCE. I RECOMMEND ALL DAN MILLMANS BOOKS...

The Journeys of Socrates: An Adventure
The Journeys of Socrates: An Adventure by Dan Millman (Paperback - February 21, 2006)
$14.99 $11.86