5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised.
Being on pretty much a non-grain, non-starch, non-sugar eating plan for over a year, I've been anxiously seeking out a book like this. I am not gluten intolerant, I just eat closer to a paleo-style, but want a bit more variety and was hoping for good cracker and bread recipes. I wasn't disappointed.

I made up the basic crackers, the "Any Nut" bread, and the...
Published on August 20, 2012 by Jaye Joyce

3.0 out of 5 stars Great, except...
Published on August 22, 2012 by Book Junkie

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised., August 20, 2012
Jaye Joyce (Brick, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Joy of Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Baking: 80 Low-Carb Recipes that Offer Solutions for Celiac Disease, Diabetes, and Weight Loss (Hardcover)

I made up the basic crackers, the "Any Nut" bread, and the "Hot Cross Buns" (which we've renamed the "Not Cross Buns"). The basic crackers were very simple to make and were delicious topped with a variety of salt-free seasonings I had sitting around. I made the "Any Nut" bread with walnuts and the minimal amount of sweetener called for. It was delicious and moist. The "Hot Cross Buns" were also quite delicious, but the group consensus was that these had no resemblance to the flavor of Hot Cross Buns, and therefore should not be called that (also, we decided to use a powdered-sugar glaze, powdered artificial sweetener just doesn't cut it as a glaze in my opinion).

This book uses primarily nut flours in almost every recipe. This book is not for people with nut allergies. The recipes also use eggs. This is great for me since I love eggs and nuts, but people should be aware.

Nut flours tend to be expensive (since nuts themselves are expensive) so I don't know if people will make these recipes as much as they would were nut flours the same price as wheat flour; however, that being said, recipes made with nut flours are very filling .. so your baked goods feed more people for the same size, or you will have them around longer.

For those people familiar with Peter Reinhart cookbooks, I can say that the recipes here are much less fiddly and simple to prepare. He does go into long explanations about ingredients and techniques early in the book (which I appreciate), but unlike his bread books, you can be eating crackers or nut bread within an hour or two of thinking about it which is really nice.

One more thing .. I haven't tried any of the "sweet" recipes. I just don't like the taste of "lots" of stevia, and I mostly stay away from Splenda. I just don't know how well the sweeter recipes would turn out, I have my reservations on that.

4.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant surprise, August 24, 2012
I bought this book because I respect Peter Reinhart but even so I did not have high expectations, based on the taste of other sugar free baking I've done. This bread is far better than other recipes I've tried. I'm made the toasting bread, which is VERY dense and not at all sweet. Stick with this bread--it grows on you as the flavor develops after it cools. Also, eating two 1/4 inch slices of this bread for breakfast rather than an English muffin has lowered my fasting glucose reading about 10 points this week. (Even when I put Trader Joe's Cookie Butter 1/2 tsp. on it). I have a pecan loaf that has more Stevia in it in the oven right now and it smells wonderful. Like a prior reviewer, I would like to know exactly how many carbs each recipe produces per serving. I'm suspecting that the bread I just made will not do for everyday consumption because of the difference in sweetener. Also, I had no idea---maybe I didn't read the description carefully enough, which I've been known to do--that this involved nuts. I don't personally have nut allergies, but I've got grandkids with gluten and nut allergies, so this bread can't be baked for them. Nut flour is expensive and, where I live, it is not readily available. I invested in one of the spice/nut grinders recommended by the authors (the Cuisinart) and it works well. You can order the flour from several places, but the shipping costs will probably make it even more expensive as this stuff is not light. Finally, I would advise looking for liquid egg whites. When I first got the book I was in such a hurry to try the recipes that I settled for powdered egg whites that had to be mixed up---what a mess!!! The liquid ones are widely available. I should have waited.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great, except..., August 22, 2012
This book has what looks like some great recipes, and I am really excited to see that Peter Reinhart is thinking low carb. However, it has one GLARING fault: It does not provide the nutritional information for each recipe. For anyone with diabetes, or following a carb-restricted diet, it is vital to know how many grams of carbohydrates are in a serving, and the only information given is a reference in the introduction that the recipes vary from 10 grams of carbs to 1. That is great, except for someone trying to eat, say, less than 50 grams of carbs per day, in which case a 1 carb recipe is wonderful, a 10 carb per serving one much harder to fit in to the menu.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Gluten Free, Sugar Free Book Ever!!!!!!!!!, September 2, 2012
Wow!!!! This book has surpassed my expectations by far! The recipes are amazing, unlike other gluten and sugar free recipes they actually taste great.

The Inside Out Peanut Butter Cookies are a very decadent dessert. These tasty cookies have satisfied my chocolate craving and I have lost weight eating them.
They are very easy to make. I recommend using the netrition button on the home page of the books web site to order all of your supplies. It was very easy and very inexpensive shipping.

The Carrot Cake is another of my favorites! It was so easy to make and is so moist and delicious. I decided to add the garnishes to the top because I had guests coming over and wanted it to look more festive. My friends did not know that it was all nut/seed flour until I told them and they were shocked and thrilled because they could have seconds without feeling guilty since it is all protein.

Everything that I have made so far is extremely easy to make. I love not having to use a mixer if I don't want to. I highly recommend this book and I am anxious to buy the next book from these authors!!

5.0 out of 5 stars But will it taste good?!?!, September 7, 2012
I like to think of myself as an above average baker and cook but going gluten-free is something I've been leaving to everyone else. I've been afraid of the expense that the initial switch will entail and frankly, just plain wondering if any of that gluten-free stuff would taste good. Would it be worth the cost of switching? More importantly, would my husband like it? I decided to take a simple, inexpensive step to begin with and I bought this cook book. The first thing I made was the Carrot Cake on the cover. It is absolutely delicious. Beside all the wonderful recipes Denene Wallace and Peter Reinhart have packed into this amazing cook book, they give step by step instructions on how to make your own gluten-free flours and simple tips to use while baking gluten-free. I'm looking forward to their next cook book! And yes, my husband loved the carrot cake. Thank you for helping me take the first step. --Tracey Willis

5.0 out of 5 stars Best GF break cookbook, September 13, 2012
If you are looking for a cookbook with truly great tasting bread then this is the book, hands down! The first recipe, Toasting Bread, alone is worth it. It is the BEST bread I've made and I've made plenty, all that tasted like cardboard and ended up in the trash. The Toasting Bread is all that he promised, moist on the inside, with a crusty crust that toasts beautifully. I can't wait to try the breadsticks, crackers and pretzels. I also like the descriptions provided for the batter before baking; helps get the right consistency if you decide to add anything extra. Thanks to the authors for finally writing a cookbook dedicated to bread-like recipes that taste wonderful and full of all the right ingredients.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, August 29, 2012
Love the book. It covers exactly what it is supposed to. Take the biased or clueless reviews for what they are. This book is important and informative.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a winner., December 6, 2012
After being on a gluten-free, sugar-free diet for 6 months, I desperately yearning for something that resembled a desert. The Joy of Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Baking has given me back the enjoyment of deserts. With the first taste of Pecan Sandies, I sat down to slowly enjoy every crumb. I tried a bread, a cracker and a pizza, all which I enjoyed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, September 13, 2012
This is a wonderful resource for those with gluten intolerance or diabetes;however, I have it simply because my family is carb conscious. The recipes are delicious-I especially love the brownies. You won't be disappointed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun to experiment, October 15, 2012
I've been a Peter Reinhart fan for a long time, but a no white flour/sugar person for just a few months. So I was intrigued to see that he had collaborated on this book. I'm enjoying experimenting with these recipes and have found them mostly really good. One big caveat: the recipes give you the option of using Splenda or Stevia. I had not had much experience baking with either one. Through trying out the recipes in this book I discovered that I DO NOT like the flavor of Stevia, especially in the amounts called for in the cookie/brownie/cake recipes . Overpoweringly sweet with an aftertaste like anise flavored cough syrup. I tried again with Splenda and the same recipes tasted fine. So--be prepared to experiement with various sweeteners till you find what works for you. Stevia does not work for me.