4.0 out of 5 stars The Judgment
Published on April 10, 2011 by booklover315

2.0 out of 5 stars Disturbed at all the legalism and preachiness
Published on April 29, 2011 by Deborah

4.0 out of 5 stars The Judgment, April 10, 2011
Personally, I think this is Beverly Lewis' best series yet. However, I preferred the first book in the series. This second installment was good, but as a romance lover, I was disappointed to find so little about Nick in it. That will be saved for the third book that comes out in September which is fine, but I'm left filling unsatisfied until then, wanted to get to the real depth of the story which this middle book seemed to be a little lacking on. However, it was a great filler to a great series and I look forward with great expectation for the final book.

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT middle book for this trilogy!, May 21, 2011
Beverly Lewis has done it again! The Judgement gives enough to keep you hanging on, but not too much so that it can be answered in the 3rd book. The whole book was interesting to me, as I greatly enjoyed Hen's faith that shone through in this book, and Rose Ann's soul searching. It is a great read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Forgiven, May 7, 2011
Beverly Lewis is an outstanding writer and an inspiration to all of us. Her attention to detail and making sure her facts are accurate is note worthy. I met her on a book tour in Tampa, FL and she gave everyone a welcome greeting and spent time with each person,,, she really cares about meeting each of her readers. No wonder she is the "Queen of Christian Fiction." The Judgment is another example of her excellent work and I love her other new book "Amish Prayers" and look forward to reading her next book, "The Mercy." Keep up the good work Beverly and God Bless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Amish Story, May 15, 2011
The Judgement is the continuing story of Rose Ann Kauffman and her family. Loved getting reacquainted with everyone. Rose Ann is now secretly engaged to Silas Good, her sister Hen and niece Mattie Sue are living in the Dawdi House. Her Mamm is still struggling with the constant pain from her accident. Rose is still missing Nick, and the Community is morning Christian.
Mattie Sue is missing her Dad, who won't accept that Hen misses the Simple Life. Don't know what the answer is going to be here. Brandon is adamant that he wants Mattie Sue to come home. He is threatening a divorce and custody.
I can't wait for the next book with the answers...some things looks so promising. I love absorbing myself into this family. Another great book from Beverly Lewis!

5.0 out of 5 stars 2nd in Rose Trilogy has excellent characterization, May 1, 2011
The Judgment by Beverly Lewis is the second book in the Rose Trilogy. Rose Kauffman's Amish community is still recovering from the tragic death of Bishop Aaron Petersheim's son, Christian and foster son Nick Franco's running away. Rose's friendship with Nick makes her one of the few people not blaming Nick for Christian's death, but she's trying to focus on her new engagement to Silas Good. Elder sister Hen has returned home to live with her daughter Mattie Sue leaving her Englischer husband, Brandon, behind. But he's furious over Hen's seeming betrayal and is beginning to file for divorce and full custody of Mattie Sue. Hen and Rose's mother Emma is still battling crippling pain from a decade old back injury, and the suffering seems to be leading her toward death. This historical Amish story, it takes place in 1985, is thoroughly compelling. Lewis shows that the Amish face the same problems the rest of us do: loving the wrong person, the death of a child, facing tragedy and pain, divorce and broken marriage. The difference is that these characters do it all while trying to remain within the will of God, making their decisions complex and often incredibly difficult. Hen is a bit wishy-washy, but she comes across as very real. How would an Amish woman who has married an Englisch man in haste, deal with the natural differences that arise in marriage? How can she respect his authority as her husband and trust in God's will to be done when threatened with the loss of her daughter? Rose is also torn, between a good man she should love and a tormented man she shouldn't. Rose learns some lessons and gains maturity in this book as she really starts to evaluate her own feelings and acknowledge them. I was so sad to come to the last page of this book; I wasn't ready to say good-bye to the characters within. This just may be Lewis' finest work.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disturbed at all the legalism and preachiness, April 29, 2011
I honestly have no idea what's gotten into Beverly Lewis. Normally I love her books because she usually isn't preachy in her books. She's one of the few Amish authors who shows how their faith might not be as ideal as other books make them out to be. Several of her other series have even shown how the teachings of the Amish aren't even Christian. Usually I can always go to her books to show an unromanticized and realistic portrayal of the Amish as a culture and not as a utopia. However, I have had MAJOR problems with this new series of hers. This series has been nothing BUT preachy!

First the good: Once again I enjoyed Rose's story and I look forward to seeing where it leads to. I'm not quite sure at this point where her eventual path will lead but I am quite invested in her part of the book and was eager to learn more about her. I didn't really get into the parts with Beth but her relationship with Silas and Nick is good stuff. I felt that Rose is a more dimensional character than Hen is and seems to be more compassionate and thoughtful.

However I still cannot stand Hen. She is still very wishy washy and again, i don't know why she wants to stay Amish other than her reasons of it's safe, it'll keep her daughter innocent or it's the "right and only" way to raise a child. I seriously almost threw this book up against the wall because I was so annoyed at Hen. I'm really not sure what Lewis is trying to say here because through Hen we are made to feel like everything that is not Amish is bad, even down to calling your parents Mom and Dad. I also do not like the implications that one cannot remain faithful to God or the church (have other issues with that) if they have higher education. Hen seems to be very fixated on how Madonna is evil as well. There just seems to be so much legalism in the book and not real issues of honest faith. I swear to God if Brandon becomes Amish in the last book, I am going to boycott Lewis' books from now on. It's just the heavy implication that the only right way is the Amish way that is bothering me very much.

From almost all the reviews of the first book that I have seen and all the reviews of this book, it seems that I am one of the very very few people who feels this way. Most other reviews have been praising everything that goes on in the books and keep talking about how they want to live the Amish way. After reading this book, if living the Amish way means living like Hen then I would run away with a pole as long as the United States.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beverly Lewis has a way with words, July 5, 2011
MomaboutTown (Duluth, GA, US) - See all my reviews
I have read a number of Beverly Lewis books. They are excellent reads and really take you into the day and life of the Amish. Hard to put down and when you get to the end and realize you have to wait for the next book, you wait with anticipation. Highly recommend!!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a beautiful sequel to the Thorn!, April 29, 2011
Pirate2240 "Kat" (Southern California) - See all my reviews
We pick up where we left off in the book The Thorn with Rose Ann Kauffman, who struggles with the close and intimate friendship she shared with Nick, the foster son of the Bishop, who left town the eve of his brother Christian's accident. The town believes that Nick is to blame and they are holding the Bishop accountable for seeing that Nick returns home and makes amends for Christian's death.

The town believes that Nick never truly wanted to be a part of the Amish life. Yet Rose knows deep in her heart the kindness that is within Nick. After all their late night rides as children growing up, she longs for the day when she might see him again. Yet love of a new kind is lingering in Rose's future, a proposal from Silas Good. Only when the love of his life, Rebekah, returns to town to help with the upcoming birth of twins to her family, will he stay true to Rose?

Hannah or Hen still remains estranged from her husband Brandon Orringer. Taking her daughter Mattie Sue back to her plain ways, she struggles with her father in knowing which path is the right one to take to repair her marriage. What lies at the heart of the matter, is that Brandon is set on his English ways and keeping both Hen and his daughter in his home without the Amish influence. He shows up unexpectedly to speak to her father, only to inform him that he is giving Hen two weeks to come to her senses or he will begin divorce proceedings and will seek full custody of Mattie Sue.

In the sequel, The Judgment by Beverly Lewis, we see what becomes of the Kauffman sisters Rose and Hen in their struggles to do what is best in the heart but as in the eyes of God in this beautiful Amish romance novel. I love that Rose can hold on to great memories of Nick, despite all the negativity that townspeople have about him and tries her very best to help her sister Hen resolve the issues in her marriage being married to an English man. She tries to teach her that she must remember what brought them together and what is best in God's eyes for them all.

I received this book compliments of Christian Fiction Blog Alliance for my honest review and must say I felt right at home once more with Beverly Lewis' characters in The Judgment once more as they manage through some difficult seasons together as a family. This one rates a 5 out of 5 stars again! If you haven't read the Thorn, you may want to pick this one up first to read to gain an understanding of the characters histories although you can read this one as a stand alone as well and still enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of her best, April 24, 2011
Linda Joy Landreth (Corpus Christi, TX) - See all my reviews
Beverly Lewis has done it again. I stayed up half of the night to finish it last night. Great story line and interesting characters. I felt like I was right there witnessing the the book play out. Thanks for another winner.
In Him, Linda Landreth, Corpus Christi, TX

3.0 out of 5 stars Left undone!, April 21, 2011
I love Beverly Lewis writings. I too have all her books but I was disappointed that this one had little romance and left so many issues hanging in the air! I am sure the next book will tie up the loose ends but I think some of the issues could have been tended to in this book. Now waiting for book three. Bettie

The Judgment (The Rose Trilogy, Book 2)
The Judgment (The Rose Trilogy, Book 2) by Beverly Lewis (Paperback - April 5, 2011)
Used & New from: $1.53