5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and Informative
Published 7 months ago by Elaine V Wilson

3.0 out of 5 stars Poorly organized, text over pictures hard to read
Update: The recipes are fantastic. Everything I've tried, normal or obscure has been delish. Tearing recipes out of book and putting them in sleeves in the binder worked for me to have an easy time flipping through looking for recipes. I am not interested in the other details or why certain celebs like juicing.

Original review:

I was given this...
Published 7 months ago by Jodi

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and Informative, January 20, 2014
This review is from: The Juice Generation: 100 Recipes for Fresh Juices and Superfood Smoothies (Paperback)
I've juiced sporadically over the years, but after reading the Juice Generation I was convinced (and empowered!) to make it a regular part of my diet. The delicious recipes are accompanied by nutritional information, inspiring testimonials and gorgeous photography that make the juices so tantalizing you'll want to make one right away. It's a great guide for people who don't have experience juicing, as well as for those who consider it essential to their lifestyle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and useful, January 19, 2014
Mommy's List (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
If you're interested in starting to juice, you might be thinking you can get away with improvising. But I've found that particularly when it comes to the green juices, it's easy to wind up with icky, bitter messes.

I'm really glad I took the leap and bought this book. The handful of recipes I've tried so far have been absolutely delicious, and I feel clearer and more energetic already.

4.0 out of 5 stars ...Not MLB greats of the 20th century, January 20, 2014
If you want a few recipes to throw in a juicer in order to make yourself feel better about binge-ing on potato chips and Haagen-Dazs the last five nights, look elsewhere. If you don't care enough about what you eat to read a few lines of text and perhaps feel inspired toward what you are creating (and forgot the utility of a gift receipt), don't pick this up.

If instead you are truly interested in how a unique institution's efforts can be transformed into a powerful additive to enhance your diet, and you can bear a few stylistic embellishments that may detract from frank readability, grab this book. Just have the right expectations. This is a compilation by someone truly involved in the practice (art?) of making delicious, wholesome juice. The recipes are excellent, and if you happen to visit New York City any time soon, you may be fortunate enough to try them right in the store. This book is not meant as a quick binder-reference. It's about slowing down, thinking about what you eat, and enjoying a few sips of something truly good.

3.0 out of 5 stars Poorly organized, text over pictures hard to read, January 17, 2014

Original review:

I was given this book as a gift. My biggest gripe is that the juice recipes are mixed into long winded chapters that I have no interest in reading. The chapters aren't broken down by fruit or vegetable, which is logical... But in phases. What are the phases? I'm not sure, but there is three of them and each phase contains a handful of recipes. There are no dividers helping you locate the recipes. You have to flip through the book to find them. As I said, they are poorly organized so if you wanted to make an apple based juice, good luck finding it.

At first I decided to take pictures of the recipes and print them out, but have decided to just instead rip the recipes out of the book and put them into a binder. Also, there are a few pages of recipes written on a decorative colored photo background making the text impossible to read (the page that tells you how to make nut milks, the page with the kale recipes are two examples). They should have put all the recipes in the back of the book, pictures on their own pages and little blurbs about there three phase plan in their own section. I have a few books on juicing and this is the most useless one for simple recipes, unless you are actually interested in delving deep into the topic and wish to journey in the three phase model. I'd prefer the cliff notes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome juices and smoothies, especially if you're into green!, March 12, 2014
D. Sykes (Sacramento, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I've been juicing off and on for a number of years, and was looking for something to help me make tasty green juices that aren't so high in sugar. This is it! He takes you on a green journey, starting with lighter green and progressing to darker green in three phases. (There are also some non-green juices and smoothies, but the primary focus is on getting green.)

He also does a really nice, simple job of explaining "why we love..." [carrots, kale, limes, etc.] in various sections of the book, and then features a handful of recipes with the spotlighted ingredient. I enjoyed reading those as a reminder of all the good stuff happening in my body as a result of drinking the juices. There is also some good info about "superfood" ingredients like goji berries, maca powder, etc. All-in-all, an excellent juicing and smoothie book. We've tried probably 20 or more of the recipes, and so far they are all quite good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Green Juices without the green fiber, April 15, 2014
Cheryl (Magnet, IN USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I tried wholeheartedly to drink green smoothies with Green Smoothie Girl because there was no waste but I never benefited from the drinks because I never felt good like I do with plain juicing, which removes all that fiber. I do have SIBO/IBS, so I assume I was not absorbing the vitamins and minerals because the fiber had to be digested. Also the taste of greens was not that good and while I dutifully swallowed it, it was not really tasty, but this book has given me a green drink that I ENJOY drinking. I cannot believe how good the juices taste and it opens up your own creativity once you realize it can be done. Like the book says, if you don't like celery, then you aren't going to like it in your drink. Although I like celery, I don't like much, so I just added a bit less celery.

I have a LOT of health books and while there is not much new in the beginning of the book for me, the recipes are wonderful and the book is inspiring. I've drank more juice since the book arrived than I could've imagined, and even my teenage daughter is drinking them with me this time and not hiding. haha
And there are also other drinks, like ginger-pineapple-celery or orange-pineapple-beet drinks. Yum!

He calls pureed fiber drinks "blended" drinks, not smoothies. Juices are made into smoothies by adding in coconut milk, banana or avocado, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book of its kind that I've found., May 3, 2014
I don't juice, but I do use my Vitamix for blended drinks. This book, although largely focused on juicing, still offers plenty of great recipes & tips for those who blend. In fact, it is by far my favorite book of its kind. As I said, there are so many great tips and informational items not only about the "food" but also about shopping, composting, cleanses, etc. And, I will often take the same ingredients listed for one of the juice recipes and just blend instead. The pictures are beautiful as well (bonus). This book offers phases... To bring the reader from sweeter drinks to healthier "greener" ones. I already run the gamut in terms of these drinks... But I think they'd be very helpful for those newer to juicing & blending.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of information, March 6, 2014
Lots of delicious recipes. Plus it includes additional information about produce in general: how it's grown, why it's best to always clean your produce...

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow!, February 8, 2014
I love how it breaks down the components of juicing and also provides recipes that target certain things for your body.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Information!, April 11, 2014
I bought the book in hopes of juice suggestions for loosing weight. I got it! I have lost 15 pounds and still working on it. A little each week with goal of 70 pounds in 7 or 8 months. Loved the mixtures and it was so helpful and filled with useful information.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›