4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not Brilliant

Published on April 15, 1997

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not Brilliant, July 30, 2001
This review is from: The Juror (Mass Market Paperback)
The Juror is a story of a mafia kingpin's trial and the hell it causes for a single mother named Annie Laird. She lives at home with her son, sculpts all night and works as a clerk all day. One day she is selected as a prospective juror for the most famous case in the land. She wants some excitement in her life, so she agrees. Soon her life is twisted upside down by a seductive, powerful man known as the Teacher. She must vote to acquit the mob boss if she wants her friends and son to live. The story doesn't end with the trial. The Teacher still wants her after it is over, and when she betrays him, he wants blood. The reason this book is so good is because of its characters. You can feel the characters resonating off the page. The Teacher with his reserved fury, Annie and her fear and determination. The book grabs you in. It is not perfect, it has a couple of tedious and repetitious sexual references and passages. Anyway, this is a powerful book, and very plausible. Very original. Check it out.

2.0 out of 5 stars Only Partly plausible, April 15, 1997
By A Customer
This review is from: The Juror (Hardcover)
The premise, jury tampering, is plausible and smacks of John Grisham's The Runaway Jury, with a twist at the end of the trial. It is at this twist that I feel the author takes leave of reality and slips into fantasy where the all-knowing villain can bug, anything, track anything and thwart any attempt to capture him, without explaining how all this was accomplished. A little foray into cults, a little sex and a lot of violence make this novel less plausible

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylish, worthwhile followup to Caveman, December 12, 2001
This review is from: The Juror (Mass Market Paperback)
George Dawes Green, The Juror (Warner, 1995)

George Dawes Green wrote The Caveman's Valentine, which netted him the Edgar. He then followed it up with the euqally acclaimed The Juror, and proceeded to drop off the face of the earth, foiling a carefully-plotted career as a bestselling mystery novelist. Go figure. Based on the quality of his first two books, a whole lot of folks wish he'd come back.

Green's second novel introduces us to The Teacher, a part-time mob enforcer, Taoist, and grower of rare orchids whose present job entails tampering with a jury to make sure his part-time employer doesn't go to jail. Problem is, the Teacher starts getting emotionally involved the the juror, and the two of them end up doing a rather dysfunctional dance that ends up with a whole lot of people dying.

It's an absorbing novel, and a quick read. The characters are strongly drawn and identifiable, and the plot is excellently paced. The book's main flaw is that it relies a bit much on coincidences (of the "of all the gin joints in the world..." variety) that stretch credibility too far. But mystery novels rely on coincidence, and so we have to be willing to forgive Green in order to bask in the luxury of his writing. And it is certainly worth forgiving him, as the characters he creates here will be with you long after you turn the last page. *** 1/2

5.0 out of 5 stars The power and emotion don't fade with time - definitely still one of my favorites!, July 8, 2007
K. Caldwell (North Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Juror (Mass Market Paperback)
It had been probably ten years, right around the time the book was originally published, that I had first read The Juror. At the time, it was one of the most "grown-up" books I'd ever read, and I immediately fell in love with it. I found it brilliant and would constantly refer to it as one of my all-time favorite books.

Very recently the thought occurred to me that I should read it again and have The Juror prove to me that it was still worthy of being one of my "favorites" after all those years. So I began again...

And it DID NOT disappoint. If possible, I love The Juror more now than I did back then, reading it with the new appreciation of a person who has lived more of her life and read many, many more books.

The raw power and emotion, the thrilling pace, and the pure evil of the character still remained. The power -- that was always what drew me to this book. The raw power. I have often heard books or movies described as "psychological thrillers" and I am always disappointed that they never live up to the name and that they never live up to The Juror. This book truly parallels those words and it never disappoints. It's quick, jumping from scene to scene in sometimes less than two pages. It reads well. It's exciting; it's scary. There is a cutting humor, an intense use of language, and a story that, again, might feel like it's been done, but I assure you, it has not been done like this. The Juror, in short, is a truly brilliant book.

If you've seen and enjoyed the movie, I ask you to please read the book. I had read the book first, and while I loved the movie, I of course remained partial to the book. The characters that don't appear in the movie, Slavko and Sari, were always my favorite characters, and remained so in my second read. Amazing characters, and a wonderful plot, with so many twists and turns. I knew the story in advance, and yet I still didn't see everything coming.

All in all, I am very pleased to say that upon my second reading - ten years later - that The Juror doesn't only deserve a place in the list of my favorite books, but in fact, it deserves to be in the top five.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, August 6, 2009
This review is from: The Juror (Paperback)
This is one of the best books I have ever read, and I read all the time. It keeps one riveted to the story right to the last word. I was actually trembling when I finished it, I was so engrossed. It is a wonderful, fabulous book without peer. I highly recommend it. I was delighted to see that there was a movie of this story, and I immediately ordered it from Amazon. I haven't watched it yet, but found that the casting was very close to the characters that I pictured as I read the book. You will never regret buying this book. It is fabulous, fantastic, riveting, and exciting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent thriller with a strong character in The Teacher, July 29, 1996
This review is from: The Juror (Mass Market Paperback)
A brilliantly readable piece of work. Doesn't seem like only a second book

Personally I feel the book is made more readable
beacause of the brilliant chracterisation of the Teacher,
the Mafia fixit man.

His sheer brilliance and personality make u want to find out more and more about him
What makes him Tick is what will keep u going.

Buy it
Read it
and thank me later

email at aptechch@giaspn01.vsnl.net.in

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Bloody Book, October 7, 2000
Michael D (Originally Queensland, now California) - See all my reviews
I'm baffled with: Reviewer: macer@erie.net B.Macer from Erie, PA, USA
Pull your head from out under the rock! Genius writing in the Juror has you on the edge from the beginning to the very pulsating end. The "Teacher" was a masterfully written role. His psychological games are completely twisted and have the reader turning page after page to read more. I couldn't put the book down!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good reprise, September 6, 2009
This review is from: The Juror (Kindle Edition)
The Juror by George Dawes Green was originally released from The Hachette Book Group in '95, but has been re released this year. (It was also made into a movie in '96 with Demi Moore and Alec Baldwin)

Annie Laird is a struggling single mother. When she is called to jury duty, she accepts, determined to do her civic duty. She is approached by a man known only as The Teacher, who insists that she 'sway' the jurors to a not guilty verdict. Her inspiration? Her son and friends will remain unscathed. Fail and......

Suddenly her civic duty has become a matter of life and death. Annie isn't quite the pushover The Teacher thought she was though....

I listened to this abridged version in audio format. It was read by Lolita Davidovich and John Heard. Davidovich's voice perfectly portrays a young innocent woman. It belies the steel that exists within Annie. John Heard's carefully modulated even tones are in direct contrast with the threats he delivers, making them all the more menacing.

An excellent taut thriller, pitting two unlikely adversaries against each other. I must say as a personal preference, I do prefer unabridged audio. There is no lack of continuity with the abridged, but I always feel like I've missed something.

3.0 out of 5 stars I was expecting something else, May 10, 2001
This review is from: The Juror (Mass Market Paperback)
With a title like "The Juror", and a blurb by Scott Turow (Presumed Innocent) on the cover, I was expecting a legal drama/thriller, which this book isn't.
The characters of Annie and the Teacher are good, but the one you identify with is Slavko Czernyk, and there isn't enough of this guy in the book ..
A word about the Teacher - Turow compared this character to Hannibal Lecter, saying "The Teacher makes Hannibal seem like a vegetarian." I don't think it's fair to compare these two villains, since they are two different kinds of villains that evoke different emotions from the reader. Hannibal evokes fear, you are scared of Lecter. While the Teacher evokes anger, you aren't scared of him but you simply hate him. So while both these villains are great, it isn't fair to compare them ..
Overall, Green is a passionate writer & this book is worth a read. But don't expect a lot of courtroom scenes and legal stuff (like in Grisham's and Turow's books), this is a good thriller with quite a lot of action (especially towards the end).

3.0 out of 5 stars Gripping legal thriller, July 26, 2009
This review is from: The Juror (Audio CD)
Synopsis:

Single mother, struggling sculptor, and newly selected juror Annie Laird doesn't realize her danger when she agrees to participate in the murder trial of mob boss Louie Buffano. This changes quickly enough when Annie meets "the Teacher," a handsome, dangerous and volatile member of Buffano's familia. The Teacher makes it immediately apparent that if she agrees to cooperate, he can help make her career. If she refuses to do so, her life and that of her son may be forfeit. The tension rises as Annie struggles to find a way to save her family without giving in to the Teacher's increasing demands.

Review:

If the plot sounds vaguely familiar, you may have watched the 1996 movie version with Demi Moore and Alec Baldwin. The audiobook is equally fast paced and absorbing without the strength of Alec Baldwin's portrayal of the Teacher and the weaknesses of Demi Moore's Annie Laird. Overall, The Juror is action packed, suspenseful and highly entertaining.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Juror
The Juror by George Dawes Green (Mass Market Paperback - 1996)
Used & New from: $4.79