5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent series by Riordan...yet again
Published 19 months ago by AMJ

3.0 out of 5 stars Kane
I am into the first book. Not anyway near as good as Percy Jackson! Could you send me a copy of Percy Jackson books? Thank you!!
Published 4 months ago by Shirley J. Severa

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent series by Riordan...yet again, December 1, 2012
This review is from: The Kane Chronicles Hardcover Boxed Set (Hardcover)
The Kane Chronicles is an excellent series by one of my favorite young adult authors. The Percy Jackson Series is one of my favorites of all time and although this one wasn't quite as good, I still thoroughly enjoyed it and rate it just as high because it was a little bit more unique in that it covered a topic that is less known compared to Greek Mythology. I knew very little about Egyptian mythology and this series really does an excellent job of introducing dozens of Egyptian gods throughout all three books and I did find it very interesting! The action, suspense, and twists were plentiful, as I expected from Riordan, and I did get sucked into the story. I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys a fun, fast-paced read who is interested in learning some new mythology!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for long car trips, August 3, 2012
Melissaox (IA United States) - See all my reviews
I was surprised how long each book was. I picked it up to give us something to listen to on the 24 hours drive from FL to IA and back again. We didn't listen to it the whole time, but quite a bit. We only finished book 1 and got through part of book 2 on our trip. The book was great as my kids didn't fuss and fight when it was on.
We all loved the books, my 4 year old, 7 year old and two adults.
We have no complaints on issues playing.

5.0 out of 5 stars I WANT MORE!, October 29, 2012
This review is from: The Kane Chronicles Hardcover Boxed Set (Hardcover)
I did my research and it was by far the cheapest and quality way to go directly with Amazon. :) It was 29$ or 30$ elsewhere. On here, I got it for 27$ with FREE SHIPPING! It was handled with care, packaged and shipped fast. You DO get posters! But they're like mini posters and the front and back of the two you get have characters on each side. I got Sadie, Carter, Horus, and Isis. Though, I'm not sure if it's different for everyone?

I read the whole TRILOGY right after I took off the plastic casing! I should've spanned my time out to read it... but I was anxious. Especially since I already read Rick's new addition to Percy Jackson series, "The Mark of Athena." Anyway, yes! I finished reading these books within 2 days and I ABSOLUTELY loved it! I want more, though. Ha-ha.

(There are spoilers, so don't read beyond this if you haven't read it yet!)
_____________________________________________________________________________________

For Carter, I actually liked that the author gave him and his sister a bit of sibling jealousy and resentment--I know this all too well myself. Though, I found it nice that he didn't make it overdone with their "Why does he/she get everything and I don't!" sort of tiff. But he was a bit of a coward and lagged behind a lot in the beginning. I also enjoyed that both siblings were of different skin tones, that brought a whole new diversity of "Are you really related to your sister?" and always looked at Sadie like she's an alien for having lighter skin.

For Sadie, I loved that the author didn't make her into an annoying little girl NOR have that "I'm rich, so I'm a snob" sort of personality. I LOVE the fact that she lived in London and she talked British! I'm in love with the UK's slang for words, it's fun to have a character with that kind of personality. I do love her GET IT DONE attitude, it made up her for brother being a coward most of the time, which bugged me from time to time. I also liked the fact that the author gave her more girl attributes on obsessing about putting hair dye in her hair--every female does this. The author did a good job at also portraying her longing for wanting to have been traveling with her father and wanting her fathers love, other than just seeing Carter and her father twice a year because of the custody battle their grandparents won.

For the kids father, I'm not too sure that I can really interpret his character since he was very secretive from the get-go and died shortly after in the British Museum. He was pretty vague in the beginning, though throughout the series he does come back into play as being the host for Osiris. After they introduce the father back, he still doesn't have much involvement other than running the Underworld... but I do love that the author did give him father responsibilities and actually ACT like a father to Sadie later on. But I think the father was mostly just involved in getting his wife back other than being with his kids.

For the kids mother, I can't really say much about her since the author already had her dead and only lets her appear every once in a while.

For Anubis... HE WAS GORGEOUS! What-the-fruit? I wouldn't want him inhabiting another boy... since technically Anubis and Walt were TWO different people with TWO different personalities, although they had the same abilities. I also think it's especially creepy since Sadie can see into the Duat and actually notice Anubis underneath it all... I don't know--I just don't know. lol

For Isis, I think she was really annoying. Especially since Sadie is her host... which I find disturbing. I know "Gods don't have a sense of DNA" mumbo-jumbo but it was creepy that Isis was inside Sadie and her son Horus was inside her brother, Carter. I can't seem to get over that. But anyway, she caused the whole war with dethroning Osiris--basically she's just like Hera in Percy Jackson.

For Horus, I thought he was just narcissistic. At first, I enjoyed that he can control Hawks, etc etc. But then after he kept whining about Carter needing to merge with him all the time with Isis doing the same to Sadie... was irritating. It gets overbearing as the series drags on.

For Set, I actually loved his 80% bad guy and 20% good guy act. I also enjoyed that Sadie learned his true name as the "Evil One" and controlled him. Despite that he was crooked, he was awesome. Though, I was like "Oh, C'mon!" when he gets captured by another person, in Russia. His character actually reminds me of Bartimaeus (From Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud), with his witty attitude and uninterested with humans and things. :)

For Amos, I thought he was pretty weak throughout the whole series, being the kids uncle and all. Especially when he goes through a psychotic break after Set inhabited his body. Then after he recovered, he was still weak! Even when he agreed for Set to inhabit his body again to save the world with his niece and nephew, he didn't really help much at all.

For Bes, well... he was grotesque but fun loving. I'm glad that the kids had someone that they can ACTUALLY count on, along with Bast. Though... it was horrifying when the author describes that he puts on his "ugly suit" WHICH IS A SPEEDO! EWWWWWWW! And goes "Boo!" It works but still, the image has forever burned in my mind like Carter said? Or maybe Sadie? Oh well.

For Bast, I LOVE HER! It's funny to have a human act like a cat. Or is it the other way around? Oh well. But I found it odd that she only wears a leotard... though her hair spazzing out like cats fur does when they're scared or pissed was HILARIOUS. :) Even though she's an "adult"--she was cute. Although, I did find myself wanting to strangle her when she didn't do much in the beginning and when she kept keeping information away from Carter and Sadie.

For the other bad guys, some of them... uh, I guess worked? Most of them didn't. I don't think I liked anyone else. Except that one Goddess of Hunt who promised to hand over Bes's shadow if Sadie and Walt were able to survive her hunt. I found it devilishly amusing when they dumbfounded her about Jelly Babies like Annabeth did to Arcane in promising her to display her tapestry in "The Mark of Athena."

For the other good guys, some of them also worked and some of them didn't. I didn't really care for the Baboons... That humming bird reject that becomes Carters pet was also a bit odd. The Hippo that is in love with Bes was also bit awkward since she had a pregnant belly and is the mother of birth or something? And she says she's not pregnant (weird).

For the locations, I loved that they did traveling around the world kind of thing like Rick did in his Percy Jackson series. They went from London to Egypt, to Cairo, to Russia, etc etc. That made the whole adventure interesting. Especially when the kids actually do have to venture through real TOMBS to find the artifacts they need to save the world and their friends.

For the Duat, it was interesting that it was used a portal. But I would find it annoying after the first go as well because you always get sand blasted on you. I was also glad that there were "cool down" times, approx. 12hrs before the portal can be used again. This made it more enjoyable since it stopped the bad guys from capturing them all the time. It was also nice that the author made other ways for them to travel other than using the pillar Duat's.

There is one last thing to add--it does mention in the book that they cannot travel to Manhattan since there are other Gods there and they cannot interfere with them and that there was a black horse flying through the sky (Rick tied in his Percy Jackson series perfectly with this one). I'll stop here, though. But if you want something more to read while your waiting for his other series, then you should get this! Especially if you also enjoyed reading Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. And it is cheaper buying it on here than getting it in store or anywhere else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done reading, August 11, 2012
The two readers chosen for these audiobooks are excellent. They do a great job of voice acting the roles rather than simply reading the text. A great purchase and hours of enjoyment.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Daughter loves these books, November 30, 2012
This review is from: The Kane Chronicles Hardcover Boxed Set (Hardcover)
What a great story and a great value. This is a very enjoyable series and we just cant get enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic series and wonderful format!, July 18, 2012
I have adored most of Rick Riordan's books and the Kane Chronicles are no exception. They are read superbly by the narrators. And MP3 CDs are a wonderful format for most devices. I just copied it over to my Android phone and it worked wonderfully!

5.0 out of 5 stars My son was thrilled with this box set!, December 12, 2012
This review is from: The Kane Chronicles Hardcover Boxed Set (Hardcover)
This was the only thing my son actually requested for Chanukah and he was thrilled to get it. I had to pull him away from the books, so he could finish his homework!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome books, June 18, 2013
3 really great books, hope there's more to come, my 13 year old really loved them...yours will too!! So buy them...lol

5.0 out of 5 stars kane chronicles, June 14, 2013
pbf "pbf" (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Kane Chronicles Hardcover Boxed Set (Hardcover)
My grandsons (10 yrs & 13 yrs) love these books. They have read them more than once and have even shared them with friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It!, June 12, 2013
I chose to buy the three books at once because of the great price. My whole family enjoys Percy Jackson and the Kane Family and this was a terrific buy. Can't wait until the new book for Percy comes out.

The Kane Chronicles Hardcover Boxed Set
The Kane Chronicles Hardcover Boxed Set by Rick Riordan (Hardcover - October 2, 2012)
$49.99 $33.53