5.0 out of 5 stars Great Kindle paper

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised
Published on December 21, 2009 by S. Valenti

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised, December 21, 2009
This review is from: The Kansas City Star (Kindle Edition)
I've been getting this e-paper for a couple weeks, and I've been pleasantly surprised. It is easy to navigate through the articles, and it is easy to look up articles by section. There aren't that many photos, but each issue does have some photos. There aren't any ads at all, which is nice. It's easy to peruse the headlines and skim or skip the stories which do not interest you. There aren't any puzzles either, but who needs 'em?

Normally I'm not a fan of newspapers, because they can be combersome, ink gets on your fingers and you have to figure out what to do with your newspapers when you are done with them, but these are all non-issues with the electronic version.

One thing missing is the weather. Where's the weather? And, there are way too many sports articles, but I guess this is a sports-oriented town! I'd like to see more national news and less sports. The story about the Christmas terrorism attempt on 12/25/2009 didn't appear until 12/27. Also, occasionally there is an article which seems to have been chopped off, but that doesn't happen very often.

Personally, I kind of feel inundated with so much information on a daily basis, and prefer a weekly news magazine.

All in all, a pretty good daily e-paper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Kindle paper, February 23, 2010
This review is from: The Kansas City Star (Kindle Edition)
The Kansas City Star is a great example of a newspaper on the Kindle. It includes most of the relevant articles, the pictures are crisp on the screen and it's way easier than trying to subscribe to the physical paper (which I would not do). The formatting makes sense and a decent selection of national articles are included in addition to the local ones that you are probably interested in subscribing for.

By offering the Star on the Kindle they are reaching an audience that they would not have otherwise. I travel quite a bit for work and am able to receive the local news wherever I happen to be.

3.0 out of 5 stars Easiest Local News, August 18, 2011
This review is from: The Kansas City Star (Kindle Edition)
The best part about The KC Star for the Kindle is that it is wirelessly downloaded to my Kindle automatically every morning. The only reason I get The Star is for the local news and the front-page articles. It has most of the sports stories found in the actual print version of the paper, but it doesn't have the tables of sports stats. Other than the articles found on the front page, the national and worldwide news coverage is terrible when compared to the print version.

The Kindle edition of The Star does not have the funnies, Star Magazine, classifieds, advertisements, obituaries, etc. Basically, it does a great job if you want the front page, sports and local stories.

2.0 out of 5 stars No Sunday paper, October 10, 2010
This review is from: The Kansas City Star (Kindle Edition)
The description for the paper states that it will be delivered wirelessly at 3:30 a.m. It's 7:00 a.m. now and for the second time in 3 weeks, the Sunday paper has not appeared on my Kindle. (Last time it never appeared at all.) When I had subscribed to the Star and didn't get a delivery, I could call the paper and complain. Who do I call now? My only option is to cancel.

As for the paper itself, I liked going through the articles, section by section, and not having to mess with all the advertising. However, I never was sure how many articles I was missing. Most, if not all, of the syndicated columnists in the Opinion section are not on the Kindle edition. The entertainment section is stripped down on local reviews and consists mostly of Dear Abby and Billy Graham. And forget about any TV schedules for sports or weather forecasts. The final thought is this, I can get many more articles and information for free on the KC Star website. Is the convenience of reading articles on the Kindle worth the subscripton costs and missed articles? I might have kept my subscription if they delivered the Sunday edition but I'm cancelling.

The Kansas City Star

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a fan of the formatting, February 5, 2014
Ray Smith (Kansas City, MO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Kansas City Star (Kindle Edition)
It's hard to read the paper as it is formatted on the kindle. If it were easier to read and navigate it would be perfect!

4.0 out of 5 stars very nice paper, January 10, 2014
This review is from: The Kansas City Star (Kindle Edition)
very nice paper, but I guess wanted a paper more local to me and Kansas city just isn't local enough for me, but not local enough for me

1.0 out of 5 stars Paper and on-line news not what it use to be, August 31, 2013
This review is from: The Kansas City Star (Kindle Edition)
Once upon a time, not so long ago (1980's) the Kansas City Star was delivered to almost every house on my block. You could hear the paper landing in the driveway house after house. Zoom forward to 2013 and the paper hits my driveway and the delivery car presses forward to his next drop. I don't know where that drop is but it's not at any of my neighbors. Everyone has given up on the KC Star as a source of valuable news on any topic. Business news is usually one page. High school sports coverage is poor. Local suburban news is hard to find. Even the comics is sad. My 86 year old mother-in-law likes the crossword puzzle. When she's gone, so will be the K.C. Star, but actually it's been dead for some time now.

1.0 out of 5 stars the paper is late every day around 730 am, May 8, 2013
This review is from: The Kansas City Star (Kindle Edition)
i go to work at 6-00 it said it come at 3-00 it late every day when i first got it was on time not now

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good was not biased in coverage, April 21, 2013
This review is from: The Kansas City Star (Kindle Edition)
I am Kansas and graduated from one the larger state schools and it was very even in its coverage of all sports

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, April 18, 2013
This review is from: The Kansas City Star (Kindle Edition)
Having the paper delivered daily to my tablet has changed, in a positive way, how I read news.Thank you very much.

ARRAY(0x9e67bc78)