5.0 out of 5 stars Kids everywhere will approve this message!
I read somewhere recently that "The Kid Who Ran for President" is a perfect book for upper elementary/middle school students to read to understand the election process. Whoever made that comment is totally right. I learned a few things myself.

Published on September 20, 2008 by Judy K. Polhemus

3.0 out of 5 stars June Moon
I thought the book was funny . I like it because he thought that everything was the grownups fault . He said that if he was president, he would say that there wasn't going to be homework any more.I recommend that kids should read this book because it has a lot of funny parts in it .You can learn what grownups do to...
Published on November 15, 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars Kids everywhere will approve this message!, September 20, 2008
This review is from: The Kid Who Ran For President (Paperback)

In creating this unlikely scenario, Dan Gutman has threaded civics lessons through the warp and woof of the story of a 12-year-old running for president. Judson Moon and Lane Brainard (the names are intentionally derived by Gutman) decide that a kid needs to wage a campaign since the two presidential candidates set to run are so unsatisfactory.

Lane is the brains of the two (get the pun?) and Judson the quick thinker on this feet. I must share this one part of the story. First, they need a slogan. Can't think of a good one. Decide VP--it's June Syers, an old African-American woman whom Judd loves as a grandmother. Do you see the slogan coming? It's Moon and June for office! Next, which party? Neither. Let's make a new one: the Lemonade Party. Who will be First Babe? And so on.

The campaign develops its own life, especially with the machinations of Lane's braininess. They need twenty million to run a campaign. What Lane uses is brilliant and works (of course with a little help from the author). Everything they do snowballs for their benefit.

That's all I will say, except that I thoroughly enjoyed this book for ages 9-12. It is fun, educational in a tricky way, and just plain ol' good reading. During the unwinding of the plot, several provocative questions are raised, leading to great class discussions!

Do Judson Moon and June Syers win? The sequel is "The Kid Who Became President," yet the fun of the book is the journey, not the end. This book is highly recommended for class readings and discussion.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a must read book!, March 20, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Kid Who Ran For President (Paperback)
THE KID WHO RAN FOR PRESIDENT by: Dan Gutman is a fabulous book that you MUST read! It has a great combo of comedy and and a unique style of writing that is hard to find nowadays. Dan Gutman delivers one of his best books yet! THE KID WHO RAN FOR PRESIDENT is a magnificent piece that must be read by all, no matter how old you are! This book is about a 12 year-old, Judson Moon, who decided that he wanted to run for president. Can he win, is the question?

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall, not a bad book., May 16, 2005
This review is from: The Kid Who Ran For President (Paperback)
As if you haven't heard it 1,000 times before from other Reviewers, this is a book about Judson Moon, a 12 year old kid who runs for president. This book is pretty much just comic relief, but full of information. If you wonder what happens next, just check out "The Kid Who Became President", also by Dan Gutman (duh). These two books together are about a 2 hour read. Just to give you an idea of how long they are, The Kid Who Became President is 215 pages long, but they print is fairly large. All in all, this is not a bad book if you like humor, Presidents, politics and wisecracks all wrapped into one. I liked it. My recomendation: Check it out.

(Author's Note: To whatever ignorant simpleton said "He chooses an older black partner named June Syers HIS BABY SITTER that hasn't voted since Teddy Roosevelt's time!" This is what he meant: He chooses an older black partner named June Syers, who happened to be his babysitter when he was a toddler, who hasen't voted since FRANKLIN DELANO ROOSEVELT'S administration. Please got your facts strait before you belittle a book you know very little about.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lemonade Party Press Release, September 16, 2003
Bardia (Ormond Beach, FL, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Kid Who Ran For President (Paperback)
This book is SO funny! 12-year-old prankster Judson Moon and his campaign manager/best friend 12-year-old genuis Lane Brainard (Sounds just the way its spelled) are on a mission- to make Judson the President of the United States. To do this, they need 2,000 signatures and $20 million. Judson got A LOT of votes. Through scandal and opinion polls, Is it enough to make him president? And how long will his presidency last? Read this funny and entertaining book if you want to know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Grandpa!!, May 19, 2014
I really liked this book and so did my brothers who are 11 and 9. We thought it was awesome. It's not a 'realistic' book at all but I think that is why we liked it so much. It was really funny. We loved all the wisecracks and now we will sometimes randomly ask each other stuff like: 'And what do you do when The Speaker of the House dies?'(Answer: You go to RadioShack and buy a new speaker!) and then we all crack up. There were parts where we were literelly laughing out loud, and I don't mean just a giggle or two, it was more like huge, gasping guffaws, the kind that make people turn around and look at you to see if you are ok.
As an advanced reader(I'm 13) I did wish that Mr. Gutman had described Judson Moon's experiences more, like his appeearances on all those T.V. shows. Also the secondary characters were a bit flat but Judson was such a rollercoaster that it was okay and the age demographic will not mind this.
All in all I am glad I got this and thanks again Grandpa for the Kindle credit!!!
P.S.
My brothers talked me into buying the sequel so we will see what happens to Judson next!! Love you Grandpa!!
- Dani in Orlando, FL

5.0 out of 5 stars The Kid Who Ran For President, January 28, 2004
This review is from: The Kid Who Ran For President (Paperback)
A kid who ran for president? Wow!!! I know what im gonna read today!!
Dan Gutman
The Kid Who Ran For President
This book is about a kid who runs for president. Judson Moon(the main character in the story) gets in the polls! Ya know, the presidential polls. If you want to be the president of the United States, or if you just like politics, you would enjoy this book. I mean, even if you don't like any of those things you should still read this book. Its one of those books that everyone can enjoy. I give this book a big fat 2 thumbs up. So, will he become president? Does he have what it takes? Well, you�ll just have to read the book and find out. I will guarantee you that you will like it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding book, December 20, 2001
This review is from: The Kid Who Ran For President (Paperback)
The kid who ran for president it was an awesome book. I liked the book so so much. It was such a good book that i read it in two days. It wasn't as long as i wanted it to be tough. The aurther used really good descripition and dialoge. I rated this book a five. In the begain of then story his best friend told him that he should run for presidet. At first he thought that his friend was insaine. But then he found out that he had the kids on his side. He is low in the votes in the middle of the book. But then he gives a speech and now he is RUNNER UP with 38% vote. To find out if he wins the race read the book. I highly recomend it to fourth graders.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book was kinda interesting, February 14, 2013
I like how Judson won the election and now has a first babe and now no more homework for school

4.0 out of 5 stars The Big Election, December 7, 2005
This review is from: The Kid Who Ran For President (Paperback)
It's about a boy named Judson whose friend wants him to run for president. So, he did it for a goof, he likes to make everything funny. His arch enemy is Arthur Krantz, hates it. He is a pretty harsh charator and Judson threw Arthur's exam paper down the sewer pipe. People found out and thought maybe Judson was a bad person because a reporter talked to Arthur Krantz. Plus the reporter was the one who said that people use others then spit them back out and that's what he did! So he saying this then he does it just so he can get money.

M.H.B.

4.0 out of 5 stars The kid that ran for President, February 7, 2005
This review is from: The Kid Who Ran For President (Paperback)
Give me more votes and I'll become president! Have all of you kids had enough of

grownups doing everything? This book is about a kid that runs for president. His friend Lane helps him with everything. I gave this book four stars because there are

many funny parts in it. Once, he's on TV and a camer man asks him: "How old are you? Aren't you 12? I thought you're supposed to be older."

Then the kid that is running for president,his name is Judson Moon,says:"Well actually I am 36."

I think that kids who have a sense of humor and that understand politics would like this book.

The Kid Who Ran For President
The Kid Who Ran For President by Dan Gutman (Paperback - October 1, 2000)
Used & New from: $0.01