Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

VINE VOICEon September 20, 2008
I read somewhere recently that "The Kid Who Ran for President" is a perfect book for upper elementary/middle school students to read to understand the election process. Whoever made that comment is totally right. I learned a few things myself.

In creating this unlikely scenario, Dan Gutman has threaded civics lessons through the warp and woof of the story of a 12-year-old running for president. Judson Moon and Lane Brainard (the names are intentionally derived by Gutman) decide that a kid needs to wage a campaign since the two presidential candidates set to run are so unsatisfactory.

Lane is the brains of the two (get the pun?) and Judson the quick thinker on this feet. I must share this one part of the story. First, they need a slogan. Can't think of a good one. Decide VP--it's June Syers, an old African-American woman whom Judd loves as a grandmother. Do you see the slogan coming? It's Moon and June for office! Next, which party? Neither. Let's make a new one: the Lemonade Party. Who will be First Babe? And so on.

The campaign develops its own life, especially with the machinations of Lane's braininess. They need twenty million to run a campaign. What Lane uses is brilliant and works (of course with a little help from the author). Everything they do snowballs for their benefit.

That's all I will say, except that I thoroughly enjoyed this book for ages 9-12. It is fun, educational in a tricky way, and just plain ol' good reading. During the unwinding of the plot, several provocative questions are raised, leading to great class discussions!

Do Judson Moon and June Syers win? The sequel is "The Kid Who Became President," yet the fun of the book is the journey, not the end. This book is highly recommended for class readings and discussion.
1010 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2000
THE KID WHO RAN FOR PRESIDENT by: Dan Gutman is a fabulous book that you MUST read! It has a great combo of comedy and and a unique style of writing that is hard to find nowadays. Dan Gutman delivers one of his best books yet! THE KID WHO RAN FOR PRESIDENT is a magnificent piece that must be read by all, no matter how old you are! This book is about a 12 year-old, Judson Moon, who decided that he wanted to run for president. Can he win, is the question?
on October 17, 2012
Adults have tried long enough to clean up the problems of the world. It's time to give kids a chance, so Judson Moon, a funny and irreverent twelve year old in Madison, Wisconsin, is running for president of the United States. His friend, Lane Brainard, is his campaign manager. Lane knows quite a lot about running for president. Moon knows almost nothing. Wisely, he agrees to let Lane make all his decisions from the moment he announces his candidacy until the end of the campaign. June Syers, a surrogate grandmother to Moon, is his running mate, and Chelsea Daniels, one of the best looking girls in his class, is his "First Babe."

Lane plants a story about Moon's candidacy which is picked up by news outlets. Soon Moon is constantly followed by reporters. Kids all over the country get involved in the "lemonade party," so called because they raise money for Moon by selling lemonade. They also talk their parents into voting for Moon.

In the course of the campaign, Moon finds out what it's like to be center of attention, how one goes about changing the Constitution (so kids can be president), what a presidential debate is like, and what it's like to watch the returns on election night. He has a great time. Whenever the campaign gets too serious he reminds himself that he's just doing this "as a goof." When Lane gets too serious, Moon begins joking.

The timing of this revised edition couldn't be better. The book is funny and fun and a completely painless way to learn about not only a presidential election but how to make a change to the Constitution.
on November 11, 2012
It's funny. It's a painless civic lesson. My third grader's entire class was assigned this book. I read it with him. Really recommend it. Great for parents and kids to read together or kids to read by themselves. Coincided nicely with the election. I like everything that we've read by this author. He really has a knack for making difficult topics accessible.
on May 19, 2014
I really liked this book and so did my brothers who are 11 and 9. We thought it was awesome. It's not a 'realistic' book at all but I think that is why we liked it so much. It was really funny. We loved all the wisecracks and now we will sometimes randomly ask each other stuff like: 'And what do you do when The Speaker of the House dies?'(Answer: You go to RadioShack and buy a new speaker!) and then we all crack up. There were parts where we were literelly laughing out loud, and I don't mean just a giggle or two, it was more like huge, gasping guffaws, the kind that make people turn around and look at you to see if you are ok.
As an advanced reader(I'm 13) I did wish that Mr. Gutman had described Judson Moon's experiences more, like his appeearances on all those T.V. shows. Also the secondary characters were a bit flat but Judson was such a rollercoaster that it was okay and the age demographic will not mind this.
All in all I am glad I got this and thanks again Grandpa for the Kindle credit!!!
P.S.
My brothers talked me into buying the sequel so we will see what happens to Judson next!! Love you Grandpa!!
- Dani in Orlando, FL
on December 2, 2014
This was a selection for school reading in third grade. I did not like how the author expressed himself, particularly referring to girls as "babes". I found that offensive and inappropriate for my eight year old to be reading.
on October 30, 2013
I bought this book for my Grandson who is 12 yrs old and he told me he enjoyed the book. I have not read it but it appears to be good reading for young people who really are interested in U.S. Presidents and a potential interest in politics.
on May 16, 2005
As if you haven't heard it 1,000 times before from other Reviewers, this is a book about Judson Moon, a 12 year old kid who runs for president. This book is pretty much just comic relief, but full of information. If you wonder what happens next, just check out "The Kid Who Became President", also by Dan Gutman (duh). These two books together are about a 2 hour read. Just to give you an idea of how long they are, The Kid Who Became President is 215 pages long, but they print is fairly large. All in all, this is not a bad book if you like humor, Presidents, politics and wisecracks all wrapped into one. I liked it. My recomendation: Check it out.

(Author's Note: To whatever ignorant simpleton said "He chooses an older black partner named June Syers HIS BABY SITTER that hasn't voted since Teddy Roosevelt's time!" This is what he meant: He chooses an older black partner named June Syers, who happened to be his babysitter when he was a toddler, who hasen't voted since FRANKLIN DELANO ROOSEVELT'S administration. Please got your facts strait before you belittle a book you know very little about.)
on October 30, 2013
Used this book along with my social studies unit on government. Was impressed with the factual information relating to how the president is elected. My students enjoyed the humorous jokes throughout... "You-nited States of America." My group is already beginning me to buy the sequel for the classroom library.
on November 23, 2014
This is the best book I ever read. It's really funny, but the kids learn a lot too. I recommend it to anyone with a child or grandchild between the ages of 8 and 12. I recommend it for the kids, but the adults will love it too. I also recommend The Kid Who Became President.