5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Follow-Up to The Infection....
After reading Tooth and Nail and The Infection some months ago, I was pumped for the release of The Killing Floor, the sequel to The Infection. While waiting, I actually read each of the aforementioned books again, something that I have never done previously, in order to whet my appetite for The Killing Floor.

I downloaded the new book unto my kindle, and...
Published on April 16, 2012 by Stephen H

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad
Ok read coming from a walking dead fan. If you like World war Z you will like this book. Enjoy!
Published 16 months ago by Bill Fithian

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Liked it but ..., July 16, 2012
I enjoyed this sequel to the Infection but I found myself skimming over the parts where Ray took center stage. One of the problems with a great story like this is that the author has a hard time doing justice to any one of the many interesting characters, and I was ready to read more about Cool Rod and less about Ray and Anne. Now I have to wait until the next book, darn it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Doubleshot Reviews book review, May 24, 2012
October 2011, I was introduced to Craig DiLouie's 'The Infection'' and I greatly enjoyed the story of a group of survivors making their way to a government camp in an attempt to reclaim a portion of the world they knew and maybe even a bit of their humanity. ''

The Killing Floor'' picks up where 'The Infection'' left off. We following those who survived as they make decisions about how they will continue their lives. The tale switches from character to character as the story progresses. While this tends to not be a favorite style of writing for me to read I do get where it comes in handy, as this time many of the characters are not together. We are introduced to some new and interesting characters and DiLouie continues to impress this reader with his ability to develop characters that are believable and continually able to keep the reader on their toes with highly intense scenes in which his characters must react.

I do still stick by my dislike of mutations in my zombies, but, as I mentioned in my review of 'The Infection, ''I am aware that this is a matter of taste, so do not let my opinion on this factor sway your opinion. There is a unique quality to the author's mutated undead that does add an additional element of foreboding.

The Killing Floor'', ''as I mentioned does focus on the characters and the dilemmas they must deal with in regards to themselves, those around them and a variety of other issues that continue to pop up. But this book, also, contains a lot of action and suspense. It seems like around every corner something was needing maimed or mutilated. DiLouie definitely uses his writing skills to create a vivid picture of the events happening.

Again, a definite thumbs up from this reviewer for The Killing Floor ''by Craig DiLouie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Continues the awesome Infected story, August 21, 2013
Great fighting, dying, sacrifice, graphic dismemberment!
A fair amount of military perspective, nice interweaving of personal stories.
It's a good, cohesive, sequestial plot that's easy to follow, even when the story diverges to cover various groups. There's not too much of that boring flashback to how it was crap, everything is pretty much forward and fast paced. I've read three of his books now, read each very quickly and really enjoyed each....I'm a fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Believability, August 3, 2013
In reading all three of Craig DiLouie's books related to mass infection and a "zombie" like apocalypse, I found them convincing in that they represented very accurate and compelling thought processes and reactions of a military mind dealing with a conflict of this type. Myself being former military, and then 34 years as a peace officer, the logistical difficulties, technology, tactics, weapons as well as the morale and ethical dilemma's were very valid and well described, bringing me into the moment. They are a fast read and I found them to be "page turners", with characters you care about and connect with. The consistent problem with series types books for me is there never seems to be a plausible end or major gains for the central problem or for those struggling to over come it. They always drag on and on with no foreseeable conclusion. DiLouie sees to be trying to break that mold by giving the stories real goals and accomplishments. I am looking forward to the next installment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sequel!, July 15, 2013
Brian R. Scarborough (Norristown, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Killing Floor (a novel of The Infection) (Paperback)
I have just finished reading DiLouie's second novel in The Infected series "The Killing Floor."

I found it to be riveting, and actually better than the first Infected novel. As far as action, it was the equal to or superior of his novel "Tooth and Nail" although that novel is not considered part of the series.

Because I thought of "The Infection" as a sequel to "Tooth and Nail," I did find the introduction of monsters in "The Infection" problematic. However, accepting the world of the Infected series, I readily accepted the monsters in "The Killing Floor." I felt the monsters provided compelling mystery and action to this sequel.

But what really kept me coming back was the suspense regarding what happens to the characters. DiLouie has done an even better job of filling in depth in his characters, so that you engage with them, and really want to know what happens to them. There is near constant action, as the novel is split into separate sections about main characters, which eventually merge seamlessly into the overarching plot line.

I think that one should definitely read "The Infection" prior to reading "The Killing Floor." DiLouie does an excellent job of bring plot points forward from the first novel without blatantly stating "this is what happened in the first book"; a far better job than many popular authors. But having recently read the first novel and having it fresh in mind will really add to the experience of reading the second.

I'm looking forward to potentially a third novel in the series!

Thanks, Craig - keep 'em coming!

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad, July 6, 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Does not disappoint!!, April 8, 2013
This review is from: The Killing Floor (a novel of The Infection) (Paperback)
I've been hurt before. I've read great books and then was disappointed to find the sequel to be lackluster.

This was not the case with the Killing Floor. In it, DiLouie amps it up a notch. He continues with a strong, character-based tale about the Infection, but this time he adds something new.

The character of Ray was introduced briefly in the first book before he was unfortunate enough to be stung by one of the mutant nasties. Every other time someone had been stung, he was either immune or he turned into one of the rage-zombies. Ray did not do either of these things. What happened to him was ... unusual. Unusual, and potentially game-changing!

I really liked the character of Ray. Here is a small-time bully who realizes that maybe there's more to life than being a jerk. He thinks that maybe, just maybe, he might have the potential to be a decent guy. He's not good at it, but it's a wonderful character study of a man dealing with impossible circumstances and soul-searching as he does it.

I'm giving this book 4-stars while I gave the first one 5-stars. This does not mean that it's an inferior book. Rather, I think I'm experiencing "zombie fatigue". The Infection was a great book. and this was a terrific follow-up, but I'm not sure I'd want to follow this series more than one more book, tops.

But that's just me. Some people eat this stuff up (figuratively, I hope), and DiLouie's writing in this book is every bit as impressive as the previous one. If you love the zombie apocalypse genre (and even if you don't), this is a great book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, January 17, 2013
This was just ok. Frankly it wasn't as good as the first. Still had action and drama but still no cut and dry ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars SEQUEL TO THE INFECTION 5 STARS, January 7, 2013
Melvina71 (Minford, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Killing Floor (a novel of The Infection) (Paperback)
This was a great sequel to The Infection. I am usually not a big fan of this type of book, but I thoroughly both books. I read the entire book in a little over a day. It is not just another zombie/apocalypse story. It is a brillant, creative and terrifying book. There are tons of action, great characters, and unexpected twists in the plot. I give this book 5 stars. I can't wait to read more books by Craig DiLouie.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great, July 23, 2014
Loved the other books in this series but this one was slow and hard to read until the final battle at the end. I skipped through it a lot due to lack of any real story.
Most of this book was of thoughts and feelings of the characters rather then any talking or dialect between them.

Sorry but a story needs to have characters talking not just thinking to themselves.

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 | Next ›

The Killing Floor (a novel of The Infection)
The Killing Floor (a novel of The Infection) by Craig DiLouie (Paperback - April 10, 2012)
$16.95 $15.22