5.0 out of 5 stars DELICIOUS, PUNGENT, TASTY!
Published 15 months ago by Cookbookaddict

2.0 out of 5 stars Shallow
I didn't buy this book - I looked at it in the bookstore.

Actually I was fully intending to buy it, but thought I would just flip through it first.

But looking the introductory chapter on kimchi, I came across a couple passages that were not exactly 100% right. Then I came across another one where the author quotes something her mom said, but has no...
Published 17 months ago by Riddley Walker

5.0 out of 5 stars DELICIOUS, PUNGENT, TASTY!, April 5, 2013
Cookbookaddict (Philadelphia, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Kimchi Cookbook: 60 Traditional and Modern Ways to Make and Eat Kimchi (Hardcover)
I wish I could say that I have tried many recipes in this book but the first one I tried was so amazing that I have made it now 3 times and have had trouble keeping my production up with my consumption. The recipe I tried first and keep making is for the cut up fermented kimchi using napa cabbage. If that is the only recipe I get to, this book will have been well worth its price. I have been fermenting for a few years now and have made napa cabbage kimchi before but the flavoring of this kimchi is so perfect for me such that I have not been tempted to tweak the recipe. I was tempted to tweak it the first time I made it since I thought it called for too much onion, but I was so wrong. It mellows during the fermentation process. This book has an excellent ingredient section that is very helpful in explaining the asian ingredients. It is not the best book, however, for someone who has never fermented vegetables before. For that person I highly recommend a book by Sandor Katz. I see that Amazon is selling The Kimchi Cookbook in combination with a Sandor Katz book which might be a good choice. For vegetarians, the author has substitutions for the non-vegetarian umami ingredients in the recipes. I live in a city with a number of asian markets and still some of the ingredients were hard to find (or for me to identify because labels are not usually in english and store clerks rarely speak english) but nonetheless I was able to obtain them. Also, pretty much everything is available on the internet now. If you are in an area where asian ingredients are hard to find I recommend getting the course ground Korean red pepper from Amazon. Substitutes for the Korean red pepper will not do. Happy fermenting!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and thorough! Author is a great teacher!, May 5, 2013
This book is way more than I expected. For a single-topic cookbook I anticipated a straightforward compilation of kimchi recipes. But this book far exceeded my expectations: The author has a very personable style of writing. By the time I was done reading through the pages the first time, I felt a certain satisfaction that is hard to explain. My senses were heightened and my brain was working through the logistics of how soon I could make a trip to my favorite Asian market. And I was wondering if it was too late to plant Red Holland peppers in my garden this year.

If you thoroughly read this woman's instructions, you will have no problem making kimchi. If you have a fear of fermentation, it will be alleviated with the full-coverage instructions and tips in this book. And the information provided is smooth-flowing and easy to digest. The book provides so much worthwhile information, that after you have a few recipes under your belt, you will be experimenting with other ingredients and flavors to create your own signature kimchi.

The recipes area all encompassing; some are for fast, immediate salad-type kimchi; some for Spring and Summer vegetables, and some for winter vegetables. Plus there are instructions for the different "cuts" of the vegetables, and some recipes that keep the vegetable somewhat intact and some recipes for square-chopped veggies.

Pictures are of excellent quality and very helpful, too. Pantry items necessary to make kimchi are relatively few and are fully explained. Both English and Korean names are provided, so it will be easy to find them at your local Asian market or online.

I picked this book up at my library, but today I ordered my own copy. If you are at all interested in eating kimchi, this is a book that has great value and will quickly earn its space on your bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars kimchi, December 1, 2012
Concise and thoughtfully written, beautiful pictures. Warm personal tone compliments the recipes, and reflects Korean culture. Good book for devotees (fanatics/addicts) of pickled funky deliciousness. Goes well with Sandor Katz's fermentation books.

5.0 out of 5 stars finally.., April 17, 2013
a great kimchee book...tried recipes vegan options...very good !!!! The recipes are all very tempting with a great variety...a lot of unusual dishes too.

5.0 out of 5 stars kimchi cookbook, March 31, 2013
very well written book with details explained clearly and with a number of good recipes. Covers cultural details and differences between regions in Korea. Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars kimchi cookbook, May 6, 2013
Cherii (GRAND HAVEN, MI, US) - See all my reviews
Starts out with lots of Information about the culture. The recipes are traditional, but with ingredients that you can find in the local grocery store. Very nicely done with professional photography. Looking forward to making many recipes in this book

5.0 out of 5 stars authentic, March 7, 2014
so Im not korean, but my sister in law is, she advised me that the recipes are like her moms, so I say good! :) plus my kimchi turned out great! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious and diverse kimchi, July 4, 2013
This book is great:
1. It explains very well the basics about making kimchi instead of just jumping into recipes
2. It has a lot of diverse kimchi recipes, I have been able to eat kimchi in many new ways that I did not know existed
3. I really like the spring/summer and fall/winter sections which include recipes that use what is in season
4. It is nice to read about some cultural context relating to kimchi

I haven't tried the recipes from cooking with kimchi but they look delicious and I am looking forward to trying them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Drool worthy, November 27, 2012
My background, though of the Asian variety, is not Korean. In fact, I remember not liking kimchi in my teen years. We had some Korean guests who stayed with us for a few months and when they made kimchi, *phew* the smell was just overpowering. I don't quite know when it is that I began to appreciate the taste of kimchi (yes, despite the aroma) however my obsession started sometime earlier this year, due to this book: Ancient Garden

Each time I read (it was a pretty chunky book so it took me some time to read), they were always eating kimchi and most of the time, accompanied by beer. So I found myself, drooling & craving over kimchi at 7am (on my commute to work, before I had breakfast). Since then, I would have kimchi at least once a fortnight if not a week. If I wasn't eating out to eat kimchi, I would probably have eaten it more often ;p Hence, my curiosity over this book.

I found out that kimchi is basically just means pickles but there is whole variety of them. Originally, I thought it refers only to the cabbage ones but there are numerous types of kimchi for different seasons to be served with different types of dishes. Of course, I was drooling pretty much through this book.

It was beautifully put together; a clean neat layout with photos of fresh ingredients and yummy dishes. There is a bit of background on the author, a background on kimchi and some basic explanation to what they are, the methods, and how to store. Then follows many kimchi recipes which really tempted me but which I will never attempt as they are all very time consuming.

The last chapter was dedicated to cooking with kimchi. At first I thought, ooh, this might be interesting but then proceeded to grimace through the recipes like Egg Benedict with Kimchi Hollandaise, Kimchi Risotto, Grilled MILKimcheeze Sandwich, Kimchi Grapefruit Margarita, etc (with the exception of the fried rice, yum!). After a few nights contemplating Kimchi Risotto though, I'm kind of sold on that idea and broached the subject with hubby. Unfortunately, he wasn't impressed. Nonetheless, it's something I'm going to try when hubby is not dining at home ;)

Overall, a book I'm happy to have for my coffee table but may attempt only one or two recipes (due to time constraints). It was great fun to read for a noob kimchi fanatic.

With thanks to Ten Speed Press and NetGalley for the privilege to read & review this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Kimchi Bible, May 8, 2014
Oh, how we love Kimchi, yes we do. Because we're in the middle of nowhere, the only ready made kimchi we're able to find is from the grocery store. It's good and spicy...and very expensive. To have homemade now is heaven. We hope that we'll be able to wait 6 months for the fall/winter kimchi to be ready.

The book is straightforward and the recipes super easy to follow. All of the ingredients are available either locally or from Amazon. We have learned so much and had no idea that all sorts of vegetables and fruit, beyond the Napa cabbage and bok choy, could be prepared as kimchi.

We are going kimchi berserk at the moment and working our way through all of the book's recipes. So far not a single disappointment on our kimchi journey. Grateful thanks to Lauryn Chun (the author) for sharing. Yummy.

The Kimchi Cookbook: 60 Traditional and Modern Ways to Make and Eat Kimchi